Author Topic: Friedrichshafen FF49B (Top Gun, 1/72)  (Read 12930 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Friedrichshafen FF49B (Top Gun, 1/72)
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
I have just started work on this model:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.345245385595042.80400.334545143331733&type=3
which I will try to build as a replica of a flag-ship of the first Polish Naval Squadron based in 1920 in Puck on Baltic Sea. This only FF49 in Polish markings is seen here second from right:

My very optimistic first-sight opinion on this TopGun kit expressed in the What's New section proved quite wrong. In fact the kit requires a lot of substantial work to bring it to a reasonable quality and accuracy. Unfortunately, there are a lot of discrepancies from the scale drawings included in the kit instructions (absolutely hard to understand for me!!!).
The wings required corrections in the aileron outline, strut location points and the shape of root cut-outs.

Left lower wing, upper side

Pencil circles depict the original strut locations, the crosses point out where I drilled the sockets in the correct position. Dark lines are the original aileron outlines, already filled with liquid CA glue, while the bright ones are the rescribed correct ones

Right lower wing, upper side

Left upper wing, upper side

Right upper wing, under side

Here I still have to trace the location for strut sockets, for a moment only the wing spars are marked.

The fuselage is quite right in the outline, only some two milimeter sections at the rear had to be cut off. However, there was no location for the lower wings. I have traced the points where the spars would enter the fuselage - with respect to the datum line, again using the scale drawings from the kit instruction.

The interior sides have the internal structure moulded but only the longerons were at the acceptable locations. The vertical struts and cross members had to be removed.

And the floats... The steps had to be moved back by 3.5 and 4.5 mm, respectively. The rear bottom section had to be lovered by some 2mm and the very front parts lenghtened and sharpened in the side view. I have used Magic Sculp to do these.

While sanding various surfaces numerous air bubbles inevitably emerged, especially on the upper wing under sides and the float sides.
Well, in a summary of this first build report I will only say: what a difference WNW kits make!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:12:54 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Friedrichshafen FF49B (Top Gun, 1/72)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »
Quite a challenge you have taken on Przemol, you certainly have your work cut out for you correcting all the inaccurate parts, but I'm sure you will accomplish spectacular results, looking forward to seeing you progress with this model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Zabu

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:02:57 AM »
And who doesn't like some work to get them in the proper shape... lot's of fun hey? ::)

It does remind me my Ni11 from Toko... trouble everywhere! I mean... fun!

Nice model choice Prezmol. I'll keep eyes in it with pleasure.

Cheers

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
That's a very interesting looking aircraft, Przemol.  There's so many flying boats that were used in WWI that I'd never heard of.

I'll be watching this build with interest. 

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Jacek

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
Well, this awaits you some work. I wish a lot of patience  :D
Promises to be a a wonderful model !

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »
You certainly have an appetite for tough subjects, Przemo.  I have no concerns that you
won't end up with a spectacular model when done.  It really is a very interesting choice.
I look forward to your updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
You have made an excellent start as always. You are catching details I would almost certainly miss  :-[ Nice work on the corrections and I am looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:17:35 AM »
What a cool subject, Prez.  I love float planes.  Sorry to read of all the inaccuracies, but this is real modeling and with your skills, these are really nothing.  I'm looking forward to whatching this one develope.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »
This is gonna be one amazing plane. Will be keeping tabs on this one 8)

Cheers my friend

All the very best

Dave
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
I am very much convinced that your modelling skills will enable you to end up once more with a most impressive small scale replica. That kit is the right challenge for someone so skillful as you are!

Stefan

mike in calif

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »
A nice start on what is sure to be a challenging kit.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »
  Prez,
Another awesome project begins. I'm looking forward to following this latest project my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 05:42:26 AM »
Thank you, everybody. Your kind words make it easier to overcome problems with this build.

I declare the fuselage interior completed. It is a SF story, since there are no photos of FF49 interior I would be aware of. So I tried to invent a possible solution with a pilot seat on the main fuel tank on the wooden floor (kit parts), folding observer's seat on the rear bulkhead (scratch), a fire wall (scratch), a fuel pump (scratch), throttle control (spare PE), seat belts (spare PE), steering column and the dashboard (kit parts). The sides of the interior structure were recreated using Evergreen profiles and fishing line for rigging.

To justify my lack of professional attitude and invention of SF FF49 interior I will only say that very little will be visible. The closed fuselage looks like this:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:13:18 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:21:40 AM »
Great job on the interior, Przemo.  Even if it is from your imagination, it is well
thought out and totally believable. Very nicely done!  I'm looking forward to the
next phase of your project.  By the way, your wood tones as usual are first-rate.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
The interior it's looking good Prezmol, with a very nice wood effect.

Sometimes it's hard to keep on going without references, but imo you did great.

Cheers