Author Topic: Roden Spad XIIIc 1/32  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Softscience

Re: Roden Spad XIIIc 1/32
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 10:55:01 AM »
A week on and we got paint and stuff.

I'm sad to say that Roden decals are still not great. I used very hot water and they didn't shatter, so they have cleared that bar, but they still don't stick well. I applied them over wet Klear, and the smaller decals turned out okay, but the larger decals got a ton of these micro wrinkles, giving them a weird texture. I tried to work this out in the big "1" but it began to tear.

A second topcoat of Klear lessened the texture somewhat, and the decals now seem to be sticking, but still annoying to have to play all these games.

And of course the American cockades are out of register. Ah well.

A semi gloss clear coat and some oil paint effects will hopefully "de-toyify" this whole thing.

Online macsporran

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 05:36:08 PM »
Coming along really well, SS, certainly looks the part. Damn shame about the decals though. In the box I thought they looked OKish, but seeing them in situ, they do present problems.
You're getting there though.
Soon be the joy of rigging a SPAD!!!
Looking great so far anyway.
Sandy

Offline NigelR

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 06:20:05 PM »
Ah, the trials and tribulations of Roden decals. Mind you, I have had issues with WNW decals as well. Keep going, this is looking really good and I'm hoping you can cover yp those decal issues.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2024, 05:47:29 AM »
Your SPAD is looking fantastic. I love the colors you have used on the Camo. Keep up the great work.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online WD

« Reply #34 on: Today at 01:57:21 AM »
This is distressing news, at least to me. I had hoped that Roden had ironed out their decal woes from 20+ years ago, but I guess not.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Warren