Author Topic: Do you remember this kit?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Do you remember this kit?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 02:52:50 AM »
wasnt alive yet for that one but had later boxings of the DrI and SPAD in the 70s - these were really great kits from what I recall - lots of details. I seem to recall figures for ground crew in at least one of the kits?
-Patrick

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 03:16:57 AM »

Yes it was the 1/28 scale kits together in one box. The Triplane was molded in red, the Camel in green, and the SPAD in tan iirc. The SPAD was a huge problem for 8 year old me because I did not have any brown paint for the camo, only green and red which I mixed together on the advice of my parents and which predictably looked awful.

I built them all, can't remember their eventual fate but I'm guessing it involved copious amounts of lighter fluid and firecrackers.

It's funny that kids all over the world used to spend hours making kit's and then happily stuff a banger (English for firecrackers) in the kit and blow the hell out of it. I had many fond memories of doing that, used to make my own bangers in those day's too, all strictly forbidden these days.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 04:44:07 AM »
Found a picture of the kit contents -- was wondering if I remembered the color of the SPAD correctly ... It was indeed tan :)

That was a hell of a great birthday present back in 1968...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 05:00:02 AM »
wasnt alive yet for that one but had later boxings of the DrI and SPAD in the 70s - these were really great kits from what I recall - lots of details. I seem to recall figures for ground crew in at least one of the kits?

There were multiple boxings over the years and all three kits had figures included in some of them! I don't know why some did not keep the figure sprues but they didn't.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 05:43:10 AM »
You can not remember, Rick? The figures were downright ugly  :-\

mike in calif

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »
I never had this one, but have had all of the white box releases over time.

Offline JastaB

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »
I had only the white box issue. I will have to look through my stash....I think I have still have them.

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »
The only real significant difference other than the fact that all 3 were in the same box, was the Spa 48 markings for the SPAD.  They never used these on any of the other boxings.  They were otherwise, Rickenbacker, Luke, Barracca and a Czech example.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
Never saw the the 3 in one kit...by '67 I had morphed out of my WWI modeling phase into a hot-rodding acned adolescent cruising the hamburger stands in my '65 GTO and getting lots of speeding tickets but I did build all three of them separately in the early 60's...fond memories...and the Spad was Rickenbacker's, the Camel was Brown's and the red tripe?? No idea.... some big shot German fellow, I believe...Manny something. Heh heh heh. The 1/28th scale was a revelation after the dozens of Aurora and Revell kits I'd slapped together and hung from the ceiling of my bedroom. Wow...thanks for starting this, Des...good stuff.           -M   
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 01:24:20 AM »
I remember that boxing, however, Dad said no. Instead we agreed on Frank Lukes Spad. We bought it at toy store in North Hollywood. 1969?