Author Topic: Just a little something to show - 1/72 Sopwith Camel  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Epeeman

Just a little something to show - 1/72 Sopwith Camel
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:11:25 AM »
All,

Some pictures of my 72nd scale Roden Sopwith Camel (Bentley engine version) finished in two weeks.

OOB with exception of seat belts cut and painted from kit instruction sheet.  Rigged with both invisible mending thread and EZ line.

Finished in the markings of no 3 sqn RNAS, pilot FSL  K D Campbell, March 1918.

These camels models are very nice little kits (the model is small) that go together very well - just a bit of care required to fitting top wing - otherwise, you end up with a distinct bow to it.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Procopius

Re: Just a little something to show - 1/72 Sopwith Camel
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:40:07 AM »
I saw this on Britmodeller also, and I really like it. I'm working on the Camel F.1 kit by Roden, and I'm kind of curious as to what method you used on the rigging...it looks amazing.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:57:54 AM »
Lovely little Camel, Dave!  Your rigging is especially impressive.  On such a tiny airplane in such a small scale, I would've rendered it unrecognizable.  Speaking of scale, knowing that you are a brush painter, I'm astonished by her smooth finish.  Wonderful job all 'round, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »
What can I add to Bud's comments? In God's Own Scale too!! That is a fine little Camel and no mistake. I am particularly impressed by the double rigging wires - that is a real achievement. Many congratulations. More please.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »
Bud/LM -

Many thanks, gents - appreciated.

I saw this on Britmodeller also, and I really like it. I'm working on the Camel F.1 kit by Roden, and I'm kind of curious as to what method you used on the rigging...it looks amazing.

Procopius - thanks, mate!

The method I used here (and the method of rigging I have most success with) is to pre-drill all the rigging line attachment points  straight through the wing (or model surface) top and bottom.   It's then the very tedious (especially in this scale) of carefully threading the thread through the holes - not easy using invisible mending thread!  Superglue one end of the line (e.g. bottom wing first) and once glue has set, add a small drop of glue (I use a toothpick with point trimmed down) to place underneath upper wing; carefully pull line fully through and apply further drop of glue to the exit hole.  Pull line tight (but not taunt) and allow glue to cure.  Repeat process for other lines.  EZ line was used on on elevator and aileron control horns and for the inter plane struts.

Once line all set, trim excess line with model knife and carefully remove glue.   I then use filler to cover the many small holes top and bottom of wing.  Note:  I do not paint underside of lower and upper side of upper wing until (once filler has dried) I have cleaned up and smoothed over all the holes.  I then paint and decal each wing surface in turn.   I do it this way as I am never able to get a good paint match touching in on surfaces already painted - it just comes out looking a lot neater this way to me.

Does this make sense?

Regards

Dave

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »
A beautiful little Camel Dave, you have done a great job building this tiny model, and the finish is excellent with superb rigging.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
Very nice indeed, two thumbs up!

Ian

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
Dave,
A really beautiful Camel in any scale but especially the tiny 1/72nd version!
Love the rigging and the markings are pretty colorful for an English aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »
Did you open the cooling slots in the cowl? If so, how did you do it? I've attempted it in the past with mixed results and I'm interested in hearing about other approaches/techniques.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »
Des, Ian and Rick -

Thank you for your kind comments.

Did you open the cooling slots in the cowl? If so, how did you do it? I've attempted it in the past with mixed results and I'm interested in hearing about other approaches/techniques.

Rob - No, this is the cowling provided in the kit.

Regards

Dave

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
That's an excellent build you've done there and now I know how to spot a Bentley-engined Camel. I presume the extra slots in the cowl were for improved cooling but I wonder why only on one side?