Author Topic: WNW Fokker D.VII (OAW) now sold out  (Read 8238 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WNW Fokker D.VII (OAW) now sold out
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »
Sure, there will be genuine cases, but I wonder how much most people who 'miss out' really wanted a kit if they haven't bought it over the two/three/four years it is available. Sometimes I think they only want it because it is sold out.
In my case, when most of these kits were released, I had little or no interest in any of them other than those aircraft that were not available in 1/48 scale.  The only thing WNW was good for, as far as I was concerned, was an excellent reference source for my 1/48 scale builds.  Later, I thought it might be interesting and fun to build a WNW kit in conjunction with a 1/48 scale kit.  It wasn't until I actually built one, the Sopwith Tripe, that I became hooked.  A year ago, I would have had no desire what so ever to buy another Fokker D.VII.  I was not really fond of the type, yet somehow managed to accumulate 8 different D.VII kits in 1/48 scale.  Now on my 4th D.VII build, I've come to appreciate it's lines and vast array of schemes.  When the D.VII Fokker built sold out, I thought, "Damn.  I think I might've enjoyed building that one."  Now with the OAW gone, I thought I'd better get one and avoid the disappointment I experienced with the RE8.  I now have over 280 1/48 scale WWI kits and 17 WNW kits in my stash.  Although I turn 66 tomorrow, I plan on building all of them. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »
I think Wingnut Wings has contributed to changing my focus in modeling, and I don't mean just WWI models. I've always been partial to them and increasingly interested in learning how to better detail them, not just build, paint, decal, weather and plop on a display shelf. I began to get serious with this approach building Eduard 1:48 kits. I even was fortunate enough to win an IPMS Regional with a Dr.1 in Weiss livery. Now, with Wingnut Wings kits being so detailed, and in 1:32 scale, and with the knowledge and examples I've had through this forum and Des' website, I have become more interested in the build process, taking it slower and slower, learning to enjoy planning and building, and sometimes improving, the subassemblies as little models in their own right to be done carefully and as well as my skill allows.

I no longer look at a complex model with desire to have built it, and some dread of doing so because of the complexity and the time involved before it might sit finished on my workbench. I am actually looking forward, for example, to better detailing my next Mercedes engine, getting the wiring and rigging done right on my Felixstowe and Gotha, regardless of how long it takes. My modeling thinking has changed.

In that regard, I now lean toward the more "funky" and earlier models like the Eindeckers, DH-2s, and major builds like the Gotha and Felixstowe. I'm even pining for a Wingnut Wings Taube. My biggest regret so far is missing out on the RE8. But, like others, i think we'll be seeing these sold-out models reappearing in different guises in the future.

This is all good. Once I have my modest non-WWI stash culled of all but three or four exceptions, I will have primarily Wingnut Wings kits to focus on and some practice on adding even more interesting detail. It's a great time for an old modeler and I'm going to enjoy it.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 12:38:30 PM »
Hello,

It is hard to say what was initial drive for me to buy first WNW(Sep 2013) but when I did I had little idea what was going on and what these kits were all about. I just accepted the fact that Hansa and LVG are not available through WNW page and didn't even know that they are being offered at ridiculous prices on Ebay. It was just lucky coincident that I bought RE8 from second hand shortly before It was sold out and LVG from second hand from the guy who just didn't want to build it - both for retail price - perfect!!!

to Eindecker - I 100% agree with you on detailing engine, wiring and rigging... yesterday I ordered 5 spare engines from WNW with intention just displaying an engine and so on...I dont think It would happened without discovering this forum though... Bo, Bertl and Des' tricks, tips, hints and scratch builds are so inspiring that I cannot wait to have a go at those techniques myself!!! Well, attempts at least :D And don't get me start on Taube, although that's the one I discovered thanks to Des' schratch!!! :)

Unfortunately I so far only had a chance to build one WNW but when I get the place I will have a great kits that I'll enjoy to build. And for those who are panicking about wnw selling out - as time goes on I actually find it funny, every company sells out some boxes time to time, there is a lot of models(not just wnw) being sold on Ebay for ridiculous prices(far from wnw quality) and few of them even still in production.

End of the day, it is your money so spend it for what you think it's best for you ;)

Happy modelling
Lukas   
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline boggie

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
[  I now have over 280 1/48 scale WWI kits and 17 WNW kits in my stash.  Although I turn 66 tomorrow, I plan on building all of them. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
[/quote]

Very happy birthday to you Mr CM.  :)

Trust tomorrow brings you even more to build!.. and happy modelling.

cheers and regards   :)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 06:21:54 AM »
  I now have over 280 1/48 scale WWI kits and 17 WNW kits in my stash.  Although I turn 66 tomorrow, I plan on building all of them. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
Very happy birthday to you Mr CM.  :)

Trust tomorrow brings you even more to build!.. and happy modelling.

cheers and regards   :)
Thanks, Boggie!
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:14:36 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline James

WNW Fokker D.VII (OAW) now sold out
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2015, 04:29:15 AM »
Noticed that the Rumpler C.IV (Early) is now up on the front page. Could this be one of the enxt to seel out?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline drdave

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 05:11:41 AM »
Or maybe it sells poorly so they fluster us into buying by putting it there........?

Offline James

WNW Fokker D.VII (OAW) now sold out
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »
Or maybe it sells poorly so they fluster us into buying by putting it there........?

You know, I never thought of that. You may be totally right. Seeing these kits on the front page, we assume that they may be close to sellingout. Maybe some did,  utg like you said if a kit was selling poorly so to speak, maybe they put it up there for that very reason.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Good marketing strategy

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

As we have seen with the Hansa Brandenburg W.29, even the rarest of the OOP kits can unexpectedly return and it's fair to surmise all of WNW's eight sold out kits will be back in another boxing of some sort.

What's funny to me anyway is since the duelist combo came out with the Felix and W.29 there hasn't been a W.29 offered on eBay. There have been a couple of the duelist kits without the W.29 offered.

I wonder how the last buyer felt when he paid more for just the W.29 then he would have paid for the duelist combo.Of course, I sometimes wonder if the buyers on eBay don't know they can purchase directly from WNW because I see them buy current kits for more than they are sold and pay shipping.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:40 AM »
.... I sometimes wonder if the buyers on eBay don't know they can purchase directly from WNW because I see them buy current kits for more than they are sold and pay shipping.

Speaking of that, here's an interesting auction nearing the final hours.  6 WNW kits, 5 of which are still available.   Someone(s) must really want that Albatros or else just didn't do the math.  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321671798703

Eric

Offline Matt Parvis

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 04:57:03 AM »
Eric, I don't think their math is off by all that much.  Pfalz, Pup, SE.5a, and Roland all at $69.00 and the F.2b at $99.00 is $375.00.  Figure another $100-$150 for the OOP Albi and you are right where the price is now.  It'll probably rise some more before close, but, maybe not too much.

Matt
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »
Eric, I don't think their math is off by all that much.  Pfalz, Pup, SE.5a, and Roland all at $69.00 and the F.2b at $99.00 is $375.00.  Figure another $100-$150 for the OOP Albi and you are right where the price is now.  It'll probably rise some more before close, but, maybe not too much.

Matt

Hence my first comment that someone must really want the Albatros.   :) 

Interestingly, checking recent ended WNW Albatros D.V auctions, you'll find one that sold in mid-February for $120.00, with free shipping, and got only 1 bid.  The next day, one went for $170 plus $10.95 shipping and had 9 bids.  Go figure!  Ebay is a fickle thing.   :)

Cheers,
Eric