Author Topic: Roland D.VIa mentioned in WNW email...  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Petie2nd

Roland D.VIa mentioned in WNW email...
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
In an email from Richard Alexander announcing the AEG releases, he also mentioned a "a new and improved colour scheme" for the Roland D.VIa. Sure enough, in the "Hints & Tips", an "errata" page for the instructions, and new photos, they show a variation on Scheme D, which is Emil Koch's machine from Jasta 32b. This concerns a different, but very similar machine from Jasta 32b, flown by Ludwig Marchner, white with dark blue stripes and tail surfaces, instead of black. They base it on new information from Bruno Schmäling & Greg Van Wyngarden, and the new pictures support this being a different machine - for one thing, the wheel covers are different. Marchner is among the fliers that Bruno Schmäling had interviewed over the years. I can hardly wait for his upcoming books, to see what other revelations he has up his sleeve!

Anyway, with one in my stash, I thought this would be an interesting alternative to consider. Hadn't seen it mentioned by anyone else, so wondered what others on here thought.

Rich
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:26:44 PM by Petie2nd »

Kai

Re: Roland D.VIa mentioned in WNW email...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:50:18 PM »
Good communications from WNW to do such a thing for a relatively old kit.

Leading the way again.

Offline drdave

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:15 AM »
It's not that the black and white is wrong. There are 2 different planes. Nice scheme too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:26:35 AM by Drdave »

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
I had mentioned that the blue was a different machine. There are pictures of both Koch and Marchner, each by their own plane. in the Archive photos on the website. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear.

Rich

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »
Another exscuse to by another WNW kit I really like that color scheme Thanks for the heads up

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:31:53 AM »
Interestingly, they've added another revision to the instructions, and updated the PDF. Marchner's is now installed as Scheme D, and they've added a page with a couple possible color combinations for Emil Koch. Not sure what I think about the various color combinations suggested, but it would make for some fascinating variations. Also note that, as shown in the added Koch photo, that his machine is missing the fuselage cross. The color pattern at the front of the vertical fin is also interesting.

Rich

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
Another exscuse to by another WNW kit I really like that color scheme Thanks for the heads up
A clever way to rekindle interest in an older subject and, as a result thereof, cause a surge in sales. 
Honor Necessity