Author Topic: Are exchange rates dampening your kit buying?  (Read 4275 times)

WarrenD

Re: Are exchange rates dampening your kit buying?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »
this helps things seem cheaper when you buy from europe, problem is shipping almost negates the advantage.

Well, when you have to purchase over 90% of your supplies, kits, and research books, shipping becomes a matter of everyday life for the hobby. That's how it's been for me for a long time. So I guess for me, it doesn't play in very much in that regard.

Warren

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »
I have three excellent hobby supply resources here in Australia and they all take orders online and use PayPal, but there are times when I still have to source products outside Australia, this is when shopping becomes expensive, but this is the way of our hobby, if we need something we just have to pay for it.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Kai

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 07:26:32 AM »
In general, Sterling is doing well against the Euro (what isn't?)  & is holding its own against the Dollar, so any additional WNW expense is more than offset by cheaper buying from Europe. Sterling is down maybe 5% against the US Dollar, but up 20% against the Euro.

I'm just glad the UK never joined the Euro.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
i just meant if i but from a u.s. supplier the shipping is sometimes half the price or even cheaper somtimes. say i buy an eduard kit for $30 and shipping is $7 but then due to the euro waning i can get the same kit for $22 but shipping is $19 it isnt cheaper in the long run. i realise shipping is a part of it but if its cheaper but the shipping is substantially more you dont save money as it may seem.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:04 AM »
The exchange rate certainly has influenced my decision not to buy the new AEG, the $229 is not too bad but with the conversion it comes to nearly $300. I will wait until the Aussie dollar strengthens against the US dollar before I commit to buying the kit.

Des.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 06:42:58 AM »
Our Aussie dollar dropped again last night, so with the Paypal exchange rate added it would now cost me $310AUD for an AEG kit, this kit is not even on my list anymore.

Des.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 07:56:41 AM »
Bottoms falling out of the euro too, It's hammered my wingnut buying and also a lot of the other stuff I have to buy for my work. I just had to pay a 100 euros tax and duty on a small package of guitar parts from the usa valued at 330 Euros. Looks like papal is going to have a break for a while. Might give me some incentive to dive into the stash.

Cheers

Andrew

Ps I'd like the AEG but no way till the dollar drops against the euro !

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 08:03:04 AM »
I am now buying all my modeling accessories from Australian hobby shops, no exchange rate to deal with and far cheaper postage costs, and delivery in a day or two.

Des.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
One of the reasons I try and support my local shops , lately though they do seem less inclined to order stuff in . It has been 5 months since I order Eduards new SSW and still nothing ....go figure  :o Almost seems like a catch 22 . Damned if you do damned if you don't .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

WarrenD

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
I've always tried to as well. Thanks to a forum member, I learned of a local shop that had come in under my radar. It's a 100+ mile round trip, but I'll support them if and when I can to be sure.

Anyway, I sympathize with those who suffer under high tariffs for hobby goods, exchange rates, etc. It's all cyclical, so it'll be back around.

Warren

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »
My sentiments exactly Justin, it was that long ago when the Aussie dollar was on parity with the US dollar, I will wait until it is back to that point again before lashing out on a heap more kits.

Des.

Online macsporran

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
Worth keeping an eye on exchange rates this week I'd think given the Chinese crash. This appears to be having knock on effects on most other markets, specifically the US.
If the dollar falls a bit, (sorry statesiders,) your local price elsewhere may become more attractive. (Please not worse although if you buy in penga-pengas or suchlike it might well fall further.) Of course you need to keep an eye on PayPal rates etc as well.

These rate mechanisms make a huge difference. Last week on holiday in south of France, I was getting 1.40euros to the GBP. Two years ago it was 1.08!
Sandy

Offline FarEast

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
Not really - I have a monthly budget and just work within that, sometimes I go under sometimes I go over but it all balances out through out the year.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 12:17:34 AM »
    The situation in Canada is, like Australia, gruesome. Our dollar is "in the tank" with a minimum 25% or more price on conversion to US and the GBP, slows down the shopping somewhat! That, with the general increase in postal costs over the past few years has definitely had an impact on my ambitions and, other then private sales or trades, I plan on laying low for a while. The WNW Camel release will, of course, be viewed as a "special circumstance"! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
World sharemarkets are collapsing and the Aussie market plunged again today. The Aussie Dollar is now worth barely 72c US.

This is seriously bad news for model companies that rely wholly on international mail order in US dollars for their sales.

Wingnuts will need to have some spectacularly attractive new releases and at an affordable price in the next month or two if they hope to kick start a buying frenzy. Multi engined bombers priced in the hundreds of dollars may be an enticing package but the cold hard economic reality is  my budget is geared toward (cheaper) single seaters, if anything.

All of us support Wingnuts and other international manufacturers but the exchange rates and, where applicable, international postage costs, have become the enemy.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com