Author Topic: Ansaldo SVA 5 - 1/72nd scale Pegasus kit  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Ansaldo SVA 5 - 1/72nd scale Pegasus kit
« on: December 04, 2021, 10:09:44 PM »
Here are progress shots of another half built shelf of doom project.  On all of these shelved models I'm moving forward from where I left off.  I'm not tearing these apart and starting over.  I have unbuilt kits of most of these for that.  I am simply finishing them.

This is my first attempt at wood grain with acrylics.  I have read that the color of the finished aircraft was along the lines of walnut.  I'm debating on whether to try and apply washes to darken it or just leave it.   I am quite happy how it is now after a first go.  At the moment I am struggling with the struts.  I made these from piano wire and brass tube, measured exactly to the length as on the plan provided by Pegasus.  So naturally they were all way too long.  I trimmed and dry fitted the cabenes a couple hundred times to get the top wing height set.  It's eyeball accurate so probably not to scale.  I am now on to the fuselage to wing struts.  These and the rest should all go faster, but it's still going to be a bit tedious.  The sad part is I had all these painted a nice grey color and the mere mention of touching these causes the paint to fall off.  So, there will be a repaint and touch ups.  Lots of touch ups.

Stuart

Offline Stuart Malone

Re: Ansaldo SVA 5 - 1/72nd scale Pegasus kit
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 11:43:55 PM »
Well, I did it.  I layered on thinned down VMC 'wood grain'.  I am not 100% happy, but it'll do.

Stuart

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 02:41:29 AM »
Great work, Stuart, I particularly like the woodgrain effect on the fuselage and the camouflage on the wings - any pointers on how you've achieved it, please?

Cheers,
Mark

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 02:47:43 AM »
Excellent work Stuart! You do seem to like challenging kits  8) Like Victor I like your wood grain and actually both variations look great! Finally the wing camo is Lovely.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 02:56:58 AM »
It must be satisfying to be actively reducing the models on the SOS. The wing camouflage is super - and the wood grain on the fuselage is certainly good to my eyes.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 05:43:55 AM »
Well done on you on reviving these stalled projects sir!

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 06:08:15 AM »
Well done on you on reviving these stalled projects sir!

WD
Hear hear! A shiny new kit is a real joy but finishing something that's been languishing for years is a delight all its own. Bravo Stuart, she's looking great!
Zac in NZ

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 06:34:44 AM »
Very well done, these old kits were really challenging. Retouching after decades from the start even more challenging.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 08:24:45 AM »
Great work Stuart. That wood graining looks very convincing.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 08:55:12 AM »
Interesting seeing you work on these old birds Stuart, great job.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 10:01:00 AM »
Great work, Stuart, I particularly like the woodgrain effect on the fuselage and the camouflage on the wings - any pointers on how you've achieved it, please?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

Here's exactly how I did it.  All paints are thinned before application.  For thinner I use a mix of 50% distilled water, 25% Vallejo Flow Improver (or Liquitex Flow Aid), and 25% Liquitex Slow-Dri.  But, straight distilled water works very well for hand brushing.  When hand brushing, I automatically start at 1:1 paint to thinner.  If the paint is particularly goopy or I am going to use an airbrush, I increase this to 2:3 paint to thinner.

I recommend testing on scrap plastic, paint mule, or plastic spoon to make sure this method works for you.

Here is the sequence.
1.  Apply coats of VMC 70.917 Beige until 100% coverage is achieved. Let dry.
2.  Dry brush VMC 70.951 white to create an initial graining.  The dryer the brush the better.  Think small.  Have patience, go slow.  Let dry.
3.  Apply a coat of VMC 70.937 Transparent Yellow.  Let dry.
4.  Dry brush VMC 70.981 Orange Brown to add another grain color.  Application amount is to your taste.  Let dry.

This got the fuselage to the point in the first picture.  To go darker:

5. Brush on a coat of VMC 70.828 Wood Grain.  Let dry.  Repeat to your taste.

I think I did three coats to get to the finish in the second picture.

The wing camo was done by using a horrible, old, flat brush that looked more like a miniature home made broom than a paint brush, dry brush stippling thinned VMC Olive Green 70.894 over the base coat of the same VMC 70.917 Beige as used on the fuselage.  Several coats were done to slowly build up the coverage.

In hindsight, I would consider giving it more depth by darkening the green just the slightest for the first application, lightening the green just a tad bit for the second application, and straight green for the third.

Stuart

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:17:38 AM by Stuart Malone »

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »
Beautiful wood graining as has been noted Stuart.

I have a few Pegasus kits left in the stash, but have never had the guts to start them.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but what is "VMC"?

WD

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 10:19:36 AM »
WD,

Sorry about that.  It stands for Vallejo Model Color.

Stuart

Offline DaveB

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
Wow - the painting of the wood effect fuselage is stunning - it really does look like wood, Stuart.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 12:31:22 AM »
Stuart,
   It's always a pleasure to see what can be done with many of these old "not so very good possibly very bad less then perfect " older Kits with patience and a good measure of good old fashioned solid modelling skills, and it's inspiring as well. This little gem and your Halberstadt in Completed Models are great examples, well done both!
Cheers,
Lance