Author Topic: Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson  (Read 16092 times)

Offline Epeeman

Re: Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 03:10:51 AM »
Brilliant, busy looking cockpit, Guy.

Your wood painting looks effective as well.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Zabu

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Stunning build. The interior of the model it's awesome... from the details to the wood effect, very nice indeed.

Cheers

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:18 AM »
A gorgeous looking interior guy, your painting is superb, and the kit so far looks spectacular.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Adam

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
The interior looks wonderful.

Adam.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 04:47:22 AM »
Hello Guy:

I echo the sentiments of the others.  Outstanding work on the interior.  The fit is perfect, very impressive.  Too bad, as you say, that it won't be seen.  Good thing you are taking lots of photo's.  In the video I saw of the USAS one, the pilot climbed up on the forward undercarriage, then slid into the cockpit.  Really a neat video.  If I find it, I will book mark it.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this goes together.  I hope Gaspatch sells a lot of them, it would be neat to see more 1/48 exotic WW1 a/c.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2013, 01:42:44 AM »

Thank you all for the support ;)

Lower wings going on. The attachment point for the wing joint to the fuselage is minimal - it just butts against it. However, they do supply this very clever jig to allow the wings to be correctly fitted, which is really helpful:

I'm also putting some wire attachments to the ailerons - I forgot to do this for the Albatros, and they were forever getting knocked off! I like the fact that you can adjust the positions at a later date..

Not a million miles off priming now  ;)

Guy

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:15:22 AM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2013, 01:44:38 AM »
Ps

I'm slightly concerned about the strength of the lower wings - I can see them breaking - but I'll just have to be careful!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 03:38:34 AM »
Ps

I'm slightly concerned about the strength of the lower wings - I can see them breaking - but I'll just have to be careful!
Too late to pin them, I reckon?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2013, 03:55:05 AM »

Maybe "toenail" some pins? might be better than waiting for the wings to fall off ...

Online RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2013, 04:15:35 AM »
Your build is not only Outstanding but FAST! That is a very clever and thoughtful Jig assembly provided by Gaspatch!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 04:31:09 AM »

Maybe "toenail" some pins? might be better than waiting for the wings to fall off ...

Yes, I think in hindsight I would have pinned them, I did consider it, but thought it may give me a problem with a perfect fit as the wings angle up from the fuselage.

What's 'toenailing'?  ???

The one thing I'm finding slightly tricky, is how thin and breakable all the parts are, which is really a compliment to the kit, as it's all nicely rendered to scale  ;) the tail feathers connection to the fuselage is particularly fragile. I'll definitely be leaving them off until painted.

The kit supplies thin struts for the tail section, but says they can be replaced by double rigging lines. Does anyone know if this means the aircraft had rigging and/or struts or was just rigged?

Thanks

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »
Your build is not only Outstanding but FAST! That is a very clever and thoughtful Jig assembly provided by Gaspatch!
RAGIII

Hi Rick,

Yes, I'm finding it a lot quicker than a Wingnuts kit. But I suspect it may slow down now as the painting and rigging etc will be just as time consuming.

G

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2013, 05:01:08 AM »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »

The kit supplies thin struts for the tail section, but says they can be replaced by double rigging lines. Does anyone know if this means the aircraft had rigging and/or struts or was just rigged?

I believe the upper hstab "struts" were in fact streamlined double cables, just like those on the wings (paired cables with a 1" strip of wood in between them, taped at intervals)

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
Ah,

Thanks Bo  ;)

But I think I'll leave them now - I've had another look, and it all seems fairly secure, so fingers crossed!

I believe the upper hstab "struts" were in fact streamlined double cables, just like those on the wings (paired cables with a 1" strip of wood in between them, taped at intervals)

Thanks again  ;)

Yes, I noticed on the period photos how incredibly wide the flying wires are on the wings - that's going to be hard to replicate!

Guy