Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 40846 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:17 AM »
Thanks again, buddy.  I knew that's what you meant.  Coming from the man whose work really is crazy, it's quite a compliment.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »
The dots are awesome, really convincing to me Bud

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
Hi Bud,

Extremely nice cowling parts. All your work reminds me how far I am from real modeling! Keep on the good work my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
Beautifully done Bud,  the sign of a true craftsman and very talented modeler.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
Thank you so much for your generous comments, Bo, Patrick and Des!  Patrick, you are a real modeler.  Don't ever think otherwise.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
Nice work on the cowling Bud. I'm doing the same on my Snipe so I know just how tedious it is.

Tom

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
Hello Bud. I think the 'dots' on the cowling look superb . I'd gone weak at the knees in just thinking how I might approach the regular patterning myself, but you have shown what is possible.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline mgunns

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2014, 08:00:23 AM »
Hello Bud:

I think it comes down to a pose down between you on the Tripe and Tom on the Snipe, to see who's dots are the closest!!  Great job on the cowlings Bud.  You and Tom have certainly put out the challenge and upped the bar on making the cowlings.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:40 AM »
Nice work on the cowling Bud. I'm doing the same on my Snipe so I know just how tedious it is.

Tom
Thanks, Tom!  You're either younger or more patient than I, since your dots have a more uniform appearance!  I painted my metal parts gloss black, applied the dots with a silver Sharpie, then spayed a few coats of Model Master aluminum plate.  Buffed when dry.  How did you do yours?
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2014, 04:00:09 AM »
Hello Bud. I think the 'dots' on the cowling look superb . I'd gone weak at the knees in just thinking how I might approach the regular patterning myself, but you have shown what is possible.

Best wishes
Nigel
Thanks, Nigel!  It's really not as hard as it looks, if you've got good eyes and a steady hand, neither of which I possess.  So, I guess in my case, it was as hard as it looks.  ???:-[
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2014, 04:08:47 AM »
Hello Bud:

I think it comes down to a pose down between you on the Tripe and Tom on the Snipe, to see who's dots are the closest!!  Great job on the cowlings Bud.  You and Tom have certainly put out the challenge and upped the bar on making the cowlings.

Best

Mark
Thanks, Mark.  Really had no choice, considering the scheme I'd chosen.  Believe me, I was really tempted to do one of the Black Flight kites and would have if Lance hadn't already done such a phenomenal job on his.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2014, 06:58:20 AM »

Tom
Thanks, Tom!  You're either younger or more patient than I, since your dots have a more uniform appearance!  I painted my metal parts gloss black, applied the dots with a silver Sharpie, then spayed a few coats of Model Master aluminum plate.  Buffed when dry.  How did you do yours?
Cheers,
Bud

Hi Bud, for mine I drew a grid on some tamiya tape and punched holes in the middle of each square and at all the corners. That gave the same patttern as the Snipe I'm modelling. The tape was taped onto some clear plastic which acts as backing paper, although since I started I realised frisket film is a better option. Punching two or three sheets at once soon produces plenty of mask. I sprayed alclad duralumin as the base colour then white aluminium for the dots.

This is an easy way to do the flatter parts but the cowling itself is a different kettle of fish and I think you've achieved better results than I will. The compound curves at the front of the cowling I'm having to do row by row, incredibly tedious although using alclad it's ready to be masked again in a few minutes. Where the rows converge at the front it's becoming a little untidy although I'm still quite happy with the effect. This is where the frisket film helps, you can see through it to place it accurately.

Looking forward to your next update.

Cheers

Tom

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2014, 05:59:31 AM »

Both are coming along just great ! Agree with Bo on your dots !!!

Look fwd to next update

ED
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2014, 06:17:27 AM »

Quote:
Believe me, I was really tempted to do one of the Black Flight kites and would have if Lance hadn't already done such a phenomenal job on his.

Bud,
    I really appreciate the compliment however I don't believe yours wouldn't outshine my Black Maria for a minute! Great work on the cowlings, a finish I have yet to try. You've got another spectacular Build in the making here!
Nice work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2014, 03:28:47 AM »
Tom, thanks for that.  I'll have to give that a try next time 'round.

Thanks, Ed and Lance!  You guys are far too kind.
Cheers,
Bud