Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 40823 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Bud,
Looking at your WNW interior makes me realize what I could have/should have done with mine! IT IS AWESOME! You have also of course done just as well on the 1/48th Engine! Thanks for showing the fine work on both of these kits!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
Both cockpits are looking excellent Bud, I really like the leather colour on the seat. Be warned Bud, these Wingnut kits can very easily become addictive  ;) ;)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
Nice work there with the lead wire etc to create the formers

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »
Hello Bud,

Your control wires look great my friend. Cockpit is really very attractive and wood colors nice as usual. Well done!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:59 PM »
Nice progress, Bud! On both Tripes, I mean.

As for the pulled-out eyelets, I always check them some time after the glue is set, but before I proceed with anything else. Just pass a piece of fishing line used for rigging through the eyelet and try to pull it out as strongly as you can. And I always find a couple of loose guys. Takes some time, true, but then saves a lot of fuss when everything is already painted, assembled and you think, that just rigging remains... ;)
BTW, the tails of the eyelets I leave to insert them in the holes is never more than 1.0-1.5mm
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2014, 12:02:24 AM »
Bud -

Great progress, mate - love what are doing to highlight rib structure using lead wire - very clever.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »
Bud,
Looking at your WNW interior makes me realize what I could have/should have done with mine! IT IS AWESOME! You have also of course done just as well on the 1/48th Engine! Thanks for showing the fine work on both of these kits!
RAGIII
Thanks, Amigo!  I really appreciate it, but please don't do that coulda/shoulda thing.  I think your Tripe is top notch and I'm refering to it continuously through the build.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2014, 02:30:51 AM »
Both cockpits are looking excellent Bud, I really like the leather colour on the seat. Be warned Bud, these Wingnut kits can very easily become addictive  ;) ;)

Des.
Thanks, mate!  I'd join a support group except that all the members would only aid in the addiction, not the recovery.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2014, 02:32:10 AM »
Nice work there with the lead wire etc to create the formers
Thanks, Bo!  High praise from the master of weird materials.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34:25 AM »
Hello Bud,

Your control wires look great my friend. Cockpit is really very attractive and wood colors nice as usual. Well done!

Kind regards
Patrick
Thank you, Patrick!  I think these Tripes are going to have more wiring on the inside than out.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2014, 02:40:37 AM »
Nice progress, Bud! On both Tripes, I mean.

As for the pulled-out eyelets, I always check them some time after the glue is set, but before I proceed with anything else. Just pass a piece of fishing line used for rigging through the eyelet and try to pull it out as strongly as you can. And I always find a couple of loose guys. Takes some time, true, but then saves a lot of fuss when everything is already painted, assembled and you think, that just rigging remains... ;)
BTW, the tails of the eyelets I leave to insert them in the holes is never more than 1.0-1.5mm
Thanks, Prez!  And thanks for the tip on testing the eyelets.  Yeah, the eyelets that pulled out were only about .4 mm in length.  I can get away with that on the wings of my 1/48 kits, but not in the corners of cockpit framing.  I realize now that I can be a bit more agressive with my drilling in 1/32 scale without punching through to the other side.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2014, 02:48:09 AM »
Bud -

Great progress, mate - love what are doing to highlight rib structure using lead wire - very clever.

Regards

Dave
Thanks, Dave!  I got all paranoid about the effects of working with lead wire untill I realized that given the tiny amounts of lead being used, all the glueing and spray painting will more than likely kill me first.  Add to that the size of my stash, I can't possibly die till Spring 2053 at the earliest.  That's if I don't buy anymore kits.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
I got all paranoid about the effects of working with lead wire...

Wash your hands after handling it, don't eat (or smoke!) while working with it and you will be fine. Be sure to mind the scraps that fall on the floor, you don't want kids ingesting it etc. My Alfa 1900TI probably had 50 lbs of lead filler on it when it arrived at my shop, it all had to come out, that was not super fun to deal with.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2014, 03:57:55 AM »
I got all paranoid about the effects of working with lead wire...

Wash your hands after handling it, don't eat (or smoke!) while working with it and you will be fine. Be sure to mind the scraps that fall on the floor, you don't want kids ingesting it etc. My Alfa 1900TI probably had 50 lbs of lead filler on it when it arrived at my shop, it all had to come out, that was not super fun to deal with.
Thanks, Dr. Monroe! ;)  I won't even touch my face without washing my hands while working with this stuff, that's how paranoid I am.  And to think that when I was a kid, I used to go fishing several times a week using lead sinkers.  In fact, I used to pour my own lead to make those sinkers.  Huh.  Guess that explains a lot.
Did you have to grind all that lead off your Alfa?  That must've been a nightmare.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
Did you have to grind all that lead off your Alfa?  That must've been a nightmare.

Nah, that would be a nightmare all right, bordering on suicide. You melt the stuff out with a torch, still not a picnic, the flux fumes are not something you want to breathe...

Anyway, sorry to derail your build thread, carry on! :)