Author Topic: A book by one of our own! First World War Aircraft: Scratchbuilding in 1/144  (Read 473 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Hi all,

Normally I would post this in the book section, but I wanted to place it here for maximum exposure given this is a book by one of our own forum members, William Adair!

The book is titled "First World War Aircraft in Scale: Scratchbuilding in 1/144 Scale":

We have all seen his mind blowingly good work in 1/144 scratch building on this site, and on others, and he has now published a book detailing his builds and techniques. This book is sure to provide us plenty more details regarding his techniques and strategies for tackling WW1 subjects in tiny scale. William also mixes a nice dash of history in with his narrative, as well as some first class progress pictures. Here's a teaser:

The book is currently available for pre-order from Fonthill Media and is scheduled for release in July. Here's a link to the pre-order page:

https://www.fonthill.media/products/ww1-in-scale

This is certainly one that i'll be buying to add to my book shelf, if only to gain some insight into the techniques William uses to create his miniature masterpieces. Please support one of our own in his venture (hopefully it will mean that we get to see more down the track)!

I am sure William will chime in with any questions that anyone may have regarding his new book.

Cheers!

Brad C

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Already pre-ordered  :D

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline WD

I would love to have this, but with shipping costing 1.5 times the cost of the book, I just can't justify it on my current budget.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Warren

Offline William Adair

Thank you Brad for the amazing write up. Thank you too Mike for placing the order. I hope you will enjoy it!

Warren, I was dismayed by how much the postage was to some locations.  I'm really sorry about that. The publisher told me that the book will be available via other places like Amazon once it goes to print, so the postage may well be reduced or even free in some cases.  I hope you will be able to get a copy eventually. Apparently the only downside with Amazon is that any royalties for the sale of the book are drastically reduced there. Mind you, I never went into it thinking I would be making a profit. So if getting it through Amazon or similar is the difference between being able to snag a copy or not, I'd say have at it.  ;)

Offline Borsos

Looks definitely like a must-have! But given the shipping costs to Germany, I am afraid I also need to purchase it via Amazon once available there.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline DaddyO

Congrats William - looks to be a must read (and buy)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline WD

Apparently the only downside with Amazon is that any royalties for the sale of the book are drastically reduced there.

And that is why I great prefer to NOT buy through Amazon if I can. Not only do you deserve your royalties, the publisher deserves to make a profit on their efforts as well and I'm assuming those are reduced also.

No worries pard, it is what it is.

Warren

Offline NigelR

Great work, will have to get this even though it's not my scale.....

Offline WD

Great work, will have to get this even though it's not my scale.....

I figure that if he can show me how to do something in 1/144th, then applying it to 1/72nd should be easier!!??  At least that's my hope!  ;) ;) ;)

Warren

Offline torbiorn

Oh, wow, what a nice surprise. The postage was indeed ridiculous, but I can’t pass this one up. Preordered my copy :)

Offline gedmundson

That looks fantastic. Williams work is in a very high league to put is mildly - I'm definitely ordering this book.
Cheers and congrats to Mr. Adair.
Gary

Offline PJ Fisher

bravo!

Offline Davos522

I'm in. Exquisite work... it reminds me of Des at his best. I'm sure he'd be proud to have it showcased on the Forum.

Dutch