Author Topic: Fokker D.VII "Blume" 1/72 Eduard  (Read 2253 times)

Offline SimonK

Fokker D.VII "Blume" 1/72 Eduard
« on: June 07, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »
The Postie brought my packages of the Eduard 1/72 Fokker and Albatros kits: all 19 of them, think I overdid it. Supposed to be reducing the stash not growing it.... but there's something about all those crazy colorful paint schemes that cry out.

First off I choose one of the weekend edition D.VII (OAW) kits just to get going and this being my first D.VII build, I want to see what sort of process I should follow before doing the Profikits. Here's the boxart.

Number 1 is a kite flown by Blume:

Thoughts so far are what a wonderful little kit, packed full of detail for this scale, comes with extensive decal sheets and very nice faded lozenge decals that so far have caused me no hassle.  So over the past 2 days the interior has been done, the top wings decaled, and most of the schemes white parts painted so.  Since the exposed engine has a tricky form to mask, I decided to spray the black and white layers over the nose/metal casing area prior to assembling the fuselage with the engine. When it comes to painting the rest of the airframe (there is gonna be some filler on my nose belly and behind the cockpit) I can easily just place too large pieces of masking on the engine area.

One item oddly missing from the cockpit is the altimeter; the other instruments (and decal dials) are provided. 

Temp assembly so I could mark out and paint the black/white demarcation over the engine panels.  Behind that and back to the cockpit is freehand airbrushed green/purple blotches. The kits IP decals are really nice.  The wood effect is oil paint over acrylic.

Seatbelts are provided as decals which I don't care for but this is OOB. The seat cushion now needs a matt varnish

Overall interior setup sans machine guns and the cross bar & instrument dial... this has 1 instrument centered and should have an altimeter attached. The machine guns look OK for plastic.

And the engine more than adequate if you are modelling this with closed off panels. Some boxes I have come with the resin engines; they will be used for open panel options.

The "whatever its called" thingy between the wheels comes in 2 colors

And here the kits lozenge decals. Applied directly to bare plastic using "decal fixer" rather than applying a gloss coat. Seems to work well (at the moment!) Once dry there will be a need to apply some solvent along the edges and the wing tips.

Offline hrcoleman66

Re: Fokker D.VII "Blume" 1/72 Eduard
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
My head is hurting just contemplating such detail at that scale!

Superb work!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Matti

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »
Good looking job :-)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 12:06:54 AM »
It looks like you got the cowling cover sorted out. The interior, MG's and details are looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 12:36:25 AM »
Nice work so far on this little kite , nice work in the pit and getting the lozenge on the wings . :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 02:08:07 AM »
Ah, great!

I've just bought the very same kit so very interested to see how this one goes together

Good start, btw.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 03:52:06 AM »
Nice job Simon.  It's a jewel of a kit to build.  You shouldn't have any problems.

Stuart

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 05:57:24 AM »
Looks really good, Simon. Very interesting scheme and great work on the interior.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RichieW

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 07:37:06 AM »
Lovely detailed work going in to this 1/72 model. All looking very impressive!

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 12:07:38 AM »
Looking great Simon!  Nice to see you out and about over here in this neighborhood and glad you stepped into this establishment. I think you'll enjoy it here.  :)

WD

Offline SimonK

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
A tumultuous week finally saw the kit finished. Not to my best standard since there are a couple of faults that could be fixed if I had a mind to deal with sanding and repainting; one being a drop of CA fell onto the top of the fuselage after I'd done with painting.... the other really down to how I applied the decals; using Green Stuff's decal fixer a.k.a. white glue. I will NOT be using this again and will just varnish the surface instead.  Darn stuff just DID NOT dry and caused a real nuisance adding subsequent decal layers. This stuff congeals into a thick muck in places, notably where decals overlap or there's a drastic change in shape.

After decals, there's a matt coat --- should I be using a satin coat on these aircraft? The fling control wires and rigging is .007' nitinol wire.

Anyway, it was a good test to see how to put it together and I can admit that my patience was tested only with the application of all those blasted rib tapes!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »
Really nice job on Eduards kit Simon  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline WD

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
You did well Simon, and great recovery on the oopsies and splooges sir. I hope to do as well when I tackle mine.

WD

Offline DaveB

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »
Problems aside, your model DVII still looks good, Simon.

How about the kit engineering - any build issues to report?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 11:08:24 PM »
I have enjoyed watching this one. More comments in the completed Models Thread!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler