Author Topic: Friedrichshafen FF.33L CHFT + Zeebrügge Rail Car  (Read 19661 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Friedrichshafen FF.33L CHFT + Zeebrügge Rail Car
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2021, 11:01:13 PM »
Looking fantastic. The engine looks great in the closed up fuselage. Excellent beginning to the painting process on the wings!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2021, 12:58:18 AM »
Haha , same as me Kent . I'm not electrical either but I do have the sense not to put my tongue on a 9 volt battery and don't get the out lets wet when cleaning walls !

It is the first time I have ever seen that so I do hope someone has an answer .

Making some nice progress on the build and is shaping up wonderfully  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2021, 03:14:28 AM »
It's all looking quite brilliant Kent! That fuselage looks quite the part, and some lovely colours going down.... I'm enjoying this enormously! Regards, Marc.

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2021, 05:20:35 AM »
Looking fantastic. The engine looks great in the closed up fuselage. Excellent beginning to the painting process on the wings!
RAGIII

Thank you Rick!

Haha , same as me Kent . I'm not electrical either but I do have the sense not to put my tongue on a 9 volt battery and don't get the out lets wet when cleaning walls !

It is the first time I have ever seen that so I do hope someone has an answer .

Making some nice progress on the build and is shaping up wonderfully  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. Something, something Antenna perhaps?

It's all looking quite brilliant Kent! That fuselage looks quite the part, and some lovely colours going down.... I'm enjoying this enormously! Regards, Marc.

Thank you Marc, appreciate it!

The sheet with masking tape strips in the kit is a very nice touch, they will definitely becoming a regular part of my future builds!!!

Cheers: Kent

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2021, 06:48:58 AM »
Hi Kent ,

After doing some reading this afternoon to me this sounds like this is a transmitter and receiver only fitted to CHFT .

Nice masking job  :)

Alexis 
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2021, 04:23:34 AM »
Thank you Alexis!

I've been trying to find details of the wing fuel tank, present on the CHFT variant.

I haven't been able to find any close up photos of the FF.33L with sufficient detail to be of help.
Then it struck me that maybe other Friedrichshafen models may have had the same tank?

In the Windsock album on the FF.33E page 6 top, there is a very clear photo of the tank, at least on some FF.33E's?

Next, at first the bottom of the tank was a mystery to me, but taking a closer look at the many photos
it was quite obvious what is going on...

It looks like there is some kind of 'sump' in the bottom of the tank, that extends to the fuel line.

This is a closeup of the tank on a FF.49, looks a little different, but the same principle.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:28:56 AM by kkarlsen »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
Kent , went through the datafile again this afternoon and there I was looking at the top of wings and for the scheme I'm doing ( Wulfchen ) wolf cub even though this is a FF-33E it doesn't have a wing tank mounted . It is hard to tell in some of the photo's but you are right that some ( E types ) had the wing tank mounted . So it makes me wonder if the tank was added to suit long distance sorties . Then again I could be waaaay off in left field which happens through out my life ...but Hey ! I'm blonde and pretty and can pull it off flawlessly  ;)

I also noted the on the one side of the wing it appears to be painted darker then what the right side is . Looking at the tank even though this bird took a nose dive it doesn't look it the was installed in field ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2021, 04:54:10 PM »
Kent , went through the datafile again this afternoon and there I was looking at the top of wings and for the scheme I'm doing ( Wulfchen ) wolf cub even though this is a FF-33E it doesn't have a wing tank mounted . It is hard to tell in some of the photo's but you are right that some ( E types ) had the wing tank mounted . So it makes me wonder if the tank was added to suit long distance sorties . Then again I could be waaaay off in left field which happens through out my life ...but Hey ! I'm blonde and pretty and can pull it off flawlessly  ;)

I also noted the on the one side of the wing it appears to be painted darker then what the right side is . Looking at the tank even though this bird took a nose dive it doesn't look it the was installed in field ?

Alexis

Hi Alexis, I've been trying to wrap my head around this 'wing tank enigma'.

Two color wing scheme and wing tank.

Plan from 'Herris' Friedrichshafen book with the wing tank...

Reading through the chapter on the FF.33's the CHF type FF.33E (wireless) had the wing tank.
Most FF.33E's were HFT's that's probably why some photo's doesn't show the tank being present.

I found this photo (and now I cannot find it again) of a FF.33E build of the crashed plane.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:32:33 AM by kkarlsen »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2021, 01:58:16 AM »
Hi Kent,
Another unique build  ;D
I see you've finally settled on the rolling stock.
Now you're on the right 'track',

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2021, 08:06:49 PM »
The masking on the wings looks great. The strips remind Me that I need to order some of Bobs Strippers  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2021, 10:33:06 PM »
Thanks Kent ,

I don't have Harris's Book , just the Datafile on the the E type so part of the scale drawing is helpful for me . As you know the drawings in the datafile are in 72 and 144 scale . And are different form what you posted so now I have questions about the floats  ::)

Will have to add the gap when joining the upper wing , the instructions in Techmods kit ...glue them together .

I do hope you are able to find more info in regards to the wing tank Kent . With only limited info and this time google was not helpful at all I can't provide anymore info at this time . But I will keep digging  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2021, 11:16:58 PM »
Thanks Kent ,

I don't have Harris's Book , just the Datafile on the the E type so part of the scale drawing is helpful for me . As you know the drawings in the datafile are in 72 and 144 scale . And are different form what you posted so now I have questions about the floats  ::)

Will have to add the gap when joining the upper wing , the instructions in Techmods kit ...glue them together .

I do hope you are able to find more info in regards to the wing tank Kent . With only limited info and this time google was not helpful at all I can't provide anymore info at this time . But I will keep digging  ;)

Alexis

Hi Alexis, do you want to know  if the 'Wölfchen' had the wing tank?

Regards: Kent

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2021, 12:57:02 AM »
I've been missing the thread, you did a great work so far and the rail cars add a master touch. Looking forward to see the completed jewel!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline kkarlsen

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2021, 01:09:51 AM »
Thank you Giuseppe, for your kind words!   ;)

Kent

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2021, 02:55:05 AM »
Hi Kent ,

Yes , that would be helpful .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch