Author Topic: Simple eyelet making jig  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Silver wings

Simple eyelet making jig
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:45:29 AM »
Hi all,

I was less than satisfied with the eyelet forming methods suggested. Following the procedures seemed to make it difficult to put the formed eyelet into the tubing. I even drilled out the .05 tubing to .04 Id and was not satisfied with the results so I developed my own method of forming eyelets inserting them into the tube then forming the other side and get eyelets on both sides of the tube at the same time. I'll share this with anyone that may be interested. The procedure uses the same board that is used to make a tube cutting jig. Mine is a round wooden board used for displaying models. It can be bought at Michaels or other craft stores. Cut a line next to the one used for cutting tubing, insert a brass wire .3mm diameter, I filed mine from a 1/32 piece of wire. Take a .1mm wire long enough so that you can do both ends in the tubing , mine comes from a 26gauge cable, and with a pair of tweezers form the loop around the wire cutting off the end with a sharp knife (a scalpel works best). Insert the eyelet into the tubing, now it goes in easy, and form the other end around the wire in the jig. Solder or ACC it at the ends and Voila you have a turnbuckle.  8)

Cheers,

Alec

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: Simple eyelet making jig
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
Thanks for the idea, Alex.  It certainly is worth a try.  Good work!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »
Sounds like a good idea Alex but would it be possible for you to show some photos of your method.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
yes photos if possible, i read it 2xs but i cant seem to visualise exactly what you mean.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
Hello Alec. This sounds intriguing, but, like others, it would really help me to have a photo or two or perhaps a diagram.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
Me too! Anything that makes my job easier has got to be a blessing!  :D

Von Twistedbucklemaker

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith