Author Topic: 1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912  (Read 3686 times)

Online lone modeller

1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912
« on: December 14, 2023, 07:05:18 AM »
Evening All,

Now that my modelling sanity has returned and I am back to building models of real aeroplanes, I have started on my next project, which, like the Gordon Bennett racers, was another pioneering type for a number of reasons, the most important of which was that it was the first aeroplane to take off from a ship in the UK, and only the second anywhere in the world. In addition the same feat was performed shortly afterwards when it took off from a moving ship: these events took place in 1912. The aircraft in question was the Short S 27 Improved: it was also known as the S 38. The original S 27 looked like this:

(published with kind permission of Eastchurch Aviation Museum, copyright reserved).

A replica of the S 38 is in the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton:

(photo: Wikimedia Commons)

It was a design based on the Farman MF 7 so it consists mainly of struts and wires with a spare wing, engine and elevators - in other words an ideal subject. I will use a Barracuda wicker seat for the pilot (although the pattern is not strictly correct), and a Small Stuff engine. I intend to show the aircraft on a wooden platform above the front turret of HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia - the two warships from which the aircraft took off in 1912. There are no kits of King Edward VII class battleship main gun turrets in 1/72 scale so I will scratch build one of those and the wooden platform and part of the wooden runway. There are many photographs of the platform and runway, the aircraft being loaded on to and sitting on the platform on HMS Hibernia, and of the aircraft after take off. This is one source among many:

https://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/great_britain/battleships/hibernia/hms_hibernia.htm

This is a photograph of the aircraft at the start of the take-off run on the platform:

The flying surfaces are easy to make on these types: just some 30 thou plastic card cut and sanded to aerofoil section:

The booms and fore-booms on these aircraft were square section, so I used brass bar for these parts. They were CA'd to the wings and held by my highly sophisticated and expensive method of jigging as I have described in other builds of pushers:

When the CA had set I soldered the horizontal bars to the rear of the booms:

I made the flotation bags from some 1/4 inch (6mm) dowel. I turned the dowel in an electric drill and sanded the ends with coarse grade glass-paper, and finished by hand with fine grade glass-paper.  I do not have drawings or the exact dimensions of the floatation bags so these are a best guess:

They will be treated with talcum powder and dope grain filler/sealant later.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Flamingo

Re: 1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 07:26:08 PM »
Great project in small scale!

Would not have dared to solder, would have expected to crack the glue and melt the plastic.

Greetings Joachim

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 07:28:19 PM »
Great project, and a great start!

Online DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 09:59:08 PM »
Brilliant project choice Stephen

Did you use heat sinks on the booms when you soldered the tie bar in place or do you not find it affecting the superglue joint?

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 10:08:35 PM »
An excellent subject to scratch build. Very nice start. The idea of scratching the gun turret and launch is very ambitious. You have my every confidence though. Looking forward to this one!
Tim

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 11:22:29 PM »
Stephen - fascinating project, I'm going to be following along closely. I remember years ago in the old Fine Scale Modeler someone built a WWII subject that included a gun turret, it was pretty imposing!

Dutch

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 11:44:33 PM »
Real modelling!

You start with some bits of wing, some struts and wire and you transform it into.... some bits of wing, some struts and wire!!!

Seriously though, great to see scratch building alive and well and flourishing in these pages.
Great stuff
Sandy

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 12:36:56 AM »
Another interesting subject Stephen. I'll be watching this!

Ian

Online lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 05:39:28 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for your encouraging comments. I will be putting this project on one side until after the holiday break as I am now in a position to complete the Gordon Bennett project and I will report on that next time.

Joachim and Paul: I did not need to use a heat sink when soldering these parts because the brass bar is so thin and the joints were far enough away that the heat did not travel to the plastic. If the joints had been closer I would have used a heat sink.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 06:02:14 AM »
Add my voice to the encouragement and excitement. The aircraft alone is an attractive subject, but the idea of having the full turret "runway" setup adds even more interest...and no doubt significant work on your part. I'm very excited to follow progress as your plans allow.

A great start!
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 04:07:36 AM »
".....The flying surfaces are easy to make on these types...."

That may be so, but still I think you are a master in the craft Stephen!

Cheers,
Willem

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 08:14:25 AM »
Stephen,
   A daunting project to most but "routine" to your talents! With the turret as a base this will be spectacular, and I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 07:37:29 AM »
Evening All

Thanks Zac, Willem and Lance for your encouraging comments - I really appreciate them.

I have been working on this while working on the GB dio. Now that the latter is finished, (well almost - as I will explain later, I have decided to make two new Bleriot XXIII's because I have finally sorted out the wing problem), I will focus on this subject.

Having made most of the major parts I painted them: CDL for the flying surfaces, and Revell semi-matt 382 tan for the struts:

The engine was mounted on a block on the trailing edge of the lower wing: I made a mounting from plastic card and inserted a piece of rod to represent the shaft which connected the fuel and oil tanks to the engine. The fuel/oil tanks were cut from 60 thou rod and mounted on a frame made from plastic strip. There was a passenger seat in front of the fuel/oil tanks - that was cut from 20 thou card and after all had been painted, the sub-assemblies were fixed to the lower wing:

NB the pilot's seat and frame are only placed on the model - they will be attached permanently later.

All was now ready to attach the upper wing. I followed my usual procedure for making the process easy: select 4 wing struts and the two rear boom struts. Place drops of cement into the holes on the ends of the lower wing and place the struts into the holes. While the cement is still soft put small drops of cement into the relevant holes in the upper wing and gently place the lower wing and struts into the 4 holes in the inverted upper wing. I had paint pots handy to keep the wing edges square and supported while I put super glue on to one corner of the rear of the booms. I inserted one of the rear struts, followed by the second, and I had a square structure. I set this aside and allowed the cement to set:

When the cement had set I had a rigid structure which can be handled so that the remaining struts can be fixed at leisure:

The next step will be to add the interplane and boom struts and then the undercarriage.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 08:10:55 PM »
Excellent work, this will make a fascinating piece when done.

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 07:31:58 PM »
Great progress with this fascinating build, love to watch!

Joachim