Author Topic: Army Type Ko-3 Trainer (Roden N.24, 1/72)  (Read 5241 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Army Type Ko-3 Trainer (Roden N.24, 1/72)
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
Looks even better as a biplane! Your subtle silver shading is excellent and really shows in these photos.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
I agree with RAGIII, Nice work on the silver finish. I've seen that pattern windscreen on Italian Nieuports also. 

Offline Old Man

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
Got in some more work on this, Gentlemen.

Pretty near finished it, in fact....

Some bits of detail and finish repair had to be done on the nose before putting the upper wing on. These were advanced trainers, and often used for gunnery training, so the Vickers was often fitted.

The upper wing went on very nicely (though as you can see I had to do a bit of clean-up at the apex of the rear cabane inverted vee, and the spot still needs a lick o' paint). I added the front cabanes after the wing was on; they needed a bit of trimming.

I like the Rising Decals set very much, the decals are good quality and go down extremely well once in place.

I did have a bit of a problem with the tail numbers, though. They made the mistake of assuming what was on one side was the same as the other, but in photographs I have seen, it is pretty clear that on the port side is type and weight, and on the starboard side is location and something else. The sheet includes decals for two examples of the Ko-3, one with type and weight for both sides, and one with location and something else for both sides. I swapped these around, but when I went to put the separated '23' down, it rolled up on itself as I slid it off the backing, and froze. So I had to make new numbers for the tail, and the font I had available in dry-transfer gives numbers that are a little wider than they ought to be, though they are the right height.

Photographs which do show the underside of the lower wing of these machines reveal the serial number there. It is not always in the same position, but one such photograph of an early 80hp type shows the number in very close to the wing root.

Next will be putting in the rigging, adding the aileron cranks and propeller, and the usual bits of touching up....

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 01:28:43 AM »
Hello Old Man,

This is a wonderful build Sir. Based on thoroughly investigations like a historian. Secondly extremely  well build and very inventive solutions.  The silver looks great. Many congratulations!!

Kind regards

Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Once again I must say your work in this small scale is amazing! Coming along beautifully! I am looking forward to seeing the rigging!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
Great stuff, OM. I'm looking forward to seeing her all rigged.  Nicely done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
A very striking aeroplane with her silver paint and red decals, the rigging will finish it off nicely, looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
Great job OM!  I love seeing these aircraft in nontradtional markings from other nations.  She looks fantastic!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Old Man

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

I cannot recommend too much the Arawasi site and magazine for information on Japanese aviation topics.

I am a little surprised by how well, just in artistic terms, the muted silver and bright red works as a color combination. It is a look indeed....

Offline Zabu

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
Very nice model Old Man.

Fine 1/72 modeling indeed.

Cheers

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »
Truly lovely, OM!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence