Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 363835 times)

Offline James

Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #555 on: July 09, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Just received in the mail today, Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30 by Bruno Schmaling & Winfried Bock. Thumbed through it and am speechless. My god, it is amazing. Words cannot describe how blown away I am. Highly recommend picking up this book.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline radio

« Reply #556 on: July 10, 2014, 02:34:38 AM »
From Windsock come today: AEG C IV; Alb C V; Brandenburg W 12; Rumpler C I; AEG G IV; Vol 27 No 2; Vol 27 No5; Vol 25 No2; Vol 21 No2; Vol 29 No1 and Vol 30 No2.
Martin

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #557 on: July 11, 2014, 03:33:54 AM »
Well, a busy day at Hannants, the RAF museum and elsewhere which simply proved my inability to resist buying hobby related things.  So, in no particular order:

From Hannants: a shed load of Swann-Morton surgical quality blades, a few Xtracolors and a WnW Albatros  D.V which had a sort of buy-me look on the shelf; now this was an unplanned purchase.

So, onto the RAF Museum shop where from the second hand books I picked up the Treadwell and Wood volume, The Royal Naval Air Service volume in the Tempus 'Images of Aviation' series, for just £2. Then from their sale books, Mike O'Connor's Airfields & Airmen volume on Arras, for just £3.99.

And on to our daughter's house at Harpenden, via W.H. Smiths for a browse where I found a nice 130 page magazine, printed on good quality paper,  by Dan Sharp, called Duelling Above The Trenches - Sopwith Aircraft of the Great War , for £6.99.

A busy day with the card.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline radio

« Reply #558 on: July 11, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »
 8)
New some more books:
KEKs and Fokkerstaffels;
Navel Aces ofWW1 part2;
Iron man Rudolf Berthold
and Above Ypres

Martin

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #559 on: July 12, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »
All,

Just received my order from WNW - the Albatros DV with a set of Jasta 18 decals.

I have to say I was disappointed in the decal set.  The set sheet shows 5 possible versions but 2 are not possible unless you have lozenge fabric decals for the wings - and the required lozenge decals are not included in the set.  Surprise, surprise you have to but separately - what a con! 
So if I wanted to do any of these versions of I also have to fork out for a separate sheet of lozenge decals.  That was not clear from WNW website - I won't get caught out like that again - next time I'll just stick to what is supplied in the kit.  That said, my wife liked the red and blue Jasta 18 colours so will do one of the other ones not requiring lozenge decals.

I've just to finish off a kit my wife got me then I'll build the WNW SE5a before I tackle this one.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline James

« Reply #560 on: July 12, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
8)
New some more books:
KEKs and Fokkerstaffels;
Navel Aces ofWW1 part2;
Iron man Rudolf Berthold
and Above Ypres

Martin

Above Ypres is another amazing book, in my opinion. A must have.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

mike in calif

« Reply #561 on: July 12, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
Dave, look at some of the Aviattic lozenge, you may change your mind.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #562 on: July 12, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »
......................I have to say I was disappointed in the decal set.  The set sheet shows 5 possible versions but 2 are not possible unless you have lozenge fabric decals for the wings - and the required lozenge decals are not included in the set.  Surprise, surprise you have to but separately - what a con!
So if I wanted to do any of these versions of I also have to fork out for a separate sheet of lozenge decals.  That was not clear from WNW website - I won't get caught out like that again - next time I'll just stick to what is supplied in the kit.  That said, my wife liked the red and blue Jasta 18 colours so will do one of the other ones not requiring lozenge decals.......

That's a bit sharp, Dave. I hold no brief for Wingnuts but none of Pheon's Albatros decal sets include lozenge decals either and thankfully nobody has accused me (yet - there's always time....) of trying to con our customers and I'm sure that wasn't their intention either. It is a question of cost and preference - I dare say that if the lozenge decals were included in your Wingnut decals then I could find someone who was unhappy that they had had to pay for them when they didn't want to build one of the two lozenged subjects, or preferred to use other aftermarket loz decals...... Until the recent OAW DVa kit was released none of the WNW Albatros included lozenge or options for lozenge covered models, by the way.

At worst this is an oversight, possibly based on a mistaken assumption of one's customer's knowledge of the subject. Maybe I should add a caveat to our website about any subject requiring lozenge wing covering decals but in all honesty I hadn't thought it necessary until now.

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #563 on: July 12, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
Rowen,

I hear what you say, mate -

I was just assumed because the set offered 5 versions it would include the required decals for all versions shown ...........

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline radio

« Reply #564 on: July 12, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
My 1:48 scale staff grows up:
Mirage Halberstadt CL IV and German WW1 bombs, Rex exhaust Rol C II, Karaya SH III engine, Taurus Sparkplugs and Spandau guns, Part etch Parabellum m14 and Junkers D1, Spezial Hobby Fok D V, Marine Lozenge and Merc D IIIa engine.
Martin

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #565 on: July 13, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
Martin, you'll definitely have to post about how you like those Rex exhaust. They look pretty cool from here...

Offline radio

« Reply #566 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:31 AM »
Bo I have become my money from the life assurane after 30 years and a little bit go my hobby.
Lindsay, I will it describe tomorrow when I go to the hobbyroom.
Martin

Offline contact 123

« Reply #567 on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:25 PM »
I have a question

Having only limited funds to buy kits,which WWW kit will probably sell out next?Common sense tells me to buy the earliest releases,but I cannot afford more than 1 every two months.

Thankyou for your help.
My stash is out of control!

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #568 on: July 14, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
I do not hope, that the Junkers J1 is the next "sold-out" model, I have not ordered yet.
Since April 2009 I wonder - order, or not order?  ???

Servus
Bertl
Bertl

I think there is a good chance the Junkers will  vanish, it's not a often seen build on forums. not a lot of extra's produced for it so I imagine they wouldn't pop for a new  run once the current stock gets low. But.... who knows how WNW's thoughts decide. They've surprised us many times over. :o

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline radio

« Reply #569 on: July 14, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Martin, you'll definitely have to post about how you like those Rex exhaust. They look pretty cool from here...
Hi Lindsay
today I look to the exhaust and what can say: Great work, it Looks like real. More than good for this Money. :)
Martin