Author Topic: And now for something completely different... Squiffy's other models  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
I was looking through some of my photos and found this, which I thought may interest some on here.

My pal, who I wargame my aircraft models with, wrote a set of rules for Nelsonian naval battles. He said we should build a ship-of-the-line each to test the rules. His effort was a somewhat rough affair made of balsa wood, not rigged and with cocktail sticks for masts...

I turned up with this:

HMS Mars (74), made entirely from scratch, using plasticard, plastic rod, cotton rigging and handkerchief sails. I can't remember the scale but she's about seven inches long from bowsprit to sternpost. The figurehead of the god Mars is made from an N-scale model railway figure, suitably chopped, given a sword and shield and a coat of gold paint.

England Expects...

Beat to quarters!

Run out the guns!

She remains undefeated in battle to this day.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:28:40 AM by Squiffy »

WarrenD

Re: To Glory we Steer!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:53:27 AM »
Well done Squiffy!

Warren

Offline Royston

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
Like this class, There are some 1/700 white metal ones of these

Roy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:16:04 AM »
You really do have a wide range of modelling skills. Did you make this one in less than a week? Very impressive.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »
Hi, LM. It took me about a week, on and off but there's about 8-10 hours work in it all told.

Offline Squiffy

Re: And now for something completely different... Squiffy's other models
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:03 AM »
Since I finished my Felixstowe, for the Group Build, I have taken a break from WW1 kites and have built something that I've had in the stash for ages.

An Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIIA, an old 1/72 Matchbox kit. It was a Matchbox Me 262 that was the first model kit I ever made, in 1979. It's a shame they are no longer available as they were brilliantly engineered. This 40-year-old kit went together perfectly and there wasn't a millimetre of flash on any of the mouldings, unlike a lot of the modern stuff I've been building in my WW1 kites.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »
You did a great job with this old kit Squiffy, some of the old kits are still up there with the latest kits and are well worth building.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »
Very nice indeed, Squiffy.

Best wishes
Nigel

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »
Great job Squiffy!

Warren

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »
I built this one as a lad, I used to love the old Matchbox kits. Some of them are still out there disguised as Revell.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 03:45:36 AM »
Brilliantly done! Those old Matchbox kits were very good at the time and are still good today - and they represent subjects that other manufacturers have not covered. The inter-war biplanes in particular are really interesting and colourful.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, chaps.

I seem to have lost my modelling mojo. I thought taking another break from WW1 aircraft may find it but it hasn't. I've got a part-built Fee on the go, and a couple more 1930s RAF biplanes but they're all stalled. I can't seem to get enthused about progressing my model railway either.

I dug this out of the shelf of unfinished projects. I'm going to see if I can get worked up to complete it.

It's a 1:43.5 (O gauge) scale Hudswell Clarke diesel shunting locomotive. The whole thing is made from brass and nickel-silver etches. I've completed the bodywork but the frames (chassis) were hopeless so I had a friend mill new plates from 1/16th brass, and con-rods to match.

I need to get a motor and gearbox for it and I'm considering fitting sound to it.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:27:03 AM »
Nice engine, Squiffy. Model railroading was my first love from the time I was a very young kid. My father was into it so some of my earliest memories are of my father and I playing with HO trains. Brings back warm fuzzy feelings! :)

George

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 05:09:29 AM »
 Squiffy,
Outstanding Man Of War my friend. Your HMS Mars is truly impressive. Her rigging must have been fun, Well Done. The ancient Matchbox AW Siskin is a real blast from the past and so well done. I've built a couple of the same kit myself years ago and I can honestly report mine never came close to looking as beautifully built and finished as your example.I don't know much about trains in HO scale but from what I can see I'm impressed. Wouldn't mind seeing more of your Locomotive projects my friend.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »
Gregory - I shall see if I can dig out some more photos of my locomotives from my hard drive...