Author Topic: Jeannin Stahltaube - a scratchbuild in 1/144 scale  (Read 918 times)

Offline William Adair

Jeannin Stahltaube - a scratchbuild in 1/144 scale
« on: May 04, 2024, 09:06:08 PM »
It's been a while since I've had a full and ongoing build to post, but I think at last I am ready to return to the fray :)

Earlier this year I embarked on a new scratchbuilding project with the aim of making a Jeannin Stahltaube in 1/144 scale. The build is intended as a bit of a challenge to see how far I can push things in 1/144, as adding all the bells and whistles to such a complex aircraft is just about the most difficult subject that I can think of in this scale.

To keep it humming along I'll be making the Taube as part of a buddy build, alongside fellow modeller, Max Bentley. We first got to know each other a couple of years ago when we each received an opportunity to write a book on modelling WW1 aircraft. Both of our books should be out this year. Mine will be First World War Aircraft in Scale - Scratchbuilding in 1/144 Scale, and Max's book is titled: First World War Aircraft in Scale - The Pfalz D.III and Pfalz D.IIIa, where he will be concentrating on that beautiful and waspish little German scout.

So, the Taube... wish me luck!

Offline macsporran

Re: Jeannin Stahltaube - a scratchbuild in 1/144 scale
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 09:10:33 PM »
Pulling up a very tiny chair to watch!
Sandy

Offline ondra

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 09:14:09 PM »
Ok, this will be a very challenging project, can't wait to watch along and learn new techniques!

Cheers.

Ondra

Offline William Adair

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 09:18:26 PM »
Whenever I start a new build, the journey always begins with the first step. Then two steps back... Followed by a shuffle sideways and a sudden lurch into forward motion. This one wasn't any different!  ::)

The Stahltaube was a big beast for its time but the structure is eggshell thin. I shaped and curved a keel plate for the fuselage out of 1mm Evergreen strip and clad the sides with 0.1mm styrene to try and represent the fabric-covered fuselage walls. But even with some discrete bulkheads in place, the whole thing was far too delicate to hang a pair of wings from and I needed to start again.

Below is a picture of the first iteration of the fuselage. The nose is solid block of laminated styrene, and a floor plate of 1mm material extends to the tail to try to give the whole thing some foundation. Unfortunately the sidewalls are much too thin and a better solution needs to be found.

References were a challenge. I had a hard-won copy of the Windsock Datafile Taube at War. However, the variants in the book didn't quite cover the one that I wanted to do. The cowling shapes were different along with some of the wing and rudder profiles. Wingnut Wings does the version that I wanted though, so I downloaded their low-res instruction sheet and squinted at the drawings to try and make the best of it.

Fortunately, a fellow modeller here at ww1aircraftmodels came to the rescue (thanks Davos!) and provided me with a scan from his WNW instruction sheet. Many of the shapes and alignment angles became much more discernable and I could move forward with greater confidence.

I retained the solid nose section and grafted on a new keel plate. Then added slightly thicker fuselage side walls from 0.15mm sheet. The upper decking between the cockpits and to the rear are both temporarily removable to allow the cockpit details to go in. Much better!

Offline William Adair

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 09:23:47 PM »
Pulling up a very tiny chair to watch!

Ok, this will be a very challenging project, can't wait to watch along and learn new techniques!

Thank you gents! I'm sorry that this one was started too early to take part in the GB in memory of David Wilson. But I'm hoping it will be a fitting "Dave Wilson shadow factory" build.  ;)

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 09:25:26 PM »
Fabulous William
(Great to hear that someone else's builds progress in a similar way to mine)  ;D

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 12:02:30 AM »
"I go one step forward then two steps back then shuffle sideways.......". Oh boy, I'm not the only one! I think you are extremely brave taking on a Taube in this scale. I hope you get the wings on OK.
Alan.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 12:23:19 AM by Dirigible-Al »
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 12:32:39 AM »
I am impressed by your efforts to get the fuselage correct! Of course I am always impressed by your builds!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 04:58:35 AM »
Another amazing build. Two steps forwards and three back completely reflects my own experience - but I work in larger scales than you.

I too have pulled up a tiny chair and put on my magnifying glasses to watch.

Stephen.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 07:05:41 PM »
More amazing work in such a tiny scale. Truly inspirational modelling.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 10:26:31 PM »
Hehe, I'm glad it's not just me!  ;D
I have to say though, I'm much happier when the messing around occurs at the start of a project. It's way worse when something comes to bite you on the arse when you are halfway through.  :-[

I seemed to find out fairly quickly that Taubes vary greatly from one example to the next, and the individual aircraft that I wanted to make (A.283/14) has some significant differences compared to the Windsock Datafile plans that I was using. I was struggling to get the nose to look right and was having a hard time reconciling the shapes that I could see in photographs compared to the dimensions that I was seeing on paper. Then Davos came to the rescue with a high-resolution scan of the GA drawing from Wingnut Wing's kit and this matched nicely with contemporary photographs.

I made a simple depth gauge, using the flat upper deck of the fuselage as a datum, to check where the propellor shaft ought to be...  mine was way too low!

The arrow in the above photo shows the correct height of the prop shaft. There was nothing for it but to cut the forward part of the nose off, then reseat it further up and blend the area back in. It took a couple of night's work to make good on the area, but the whole nose section looks so much the better for it. So it's a win!

While I was in a redemptive mood, I also replaced the curved decking between the cockpits. Closer inspection showed that this was supposed to be a faceted piece and not rounded in profile. The new one was made from sterling silver sheet, then cast in resin so that it could be permanently glued down and flushed in with ease.

More later!

Offline ondra

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 10:36:42 PM »
Brlliant work, William, my hats are off to your skills and attention to detail!

Cheers

Ondra

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 04:53:31 AM »
Amazing approach to modeling. I will follow this thread with great interest.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 06:11:51 AM »
That is simply amazing detail in such a small scale.

Really pleased that you have sorted out the problem: as you write, finding a problem halfway through a build is frustrating (to use polite and printable language).

Stephen.

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 06:30:24 AM »
144 seems to be the new 32!
Very interesting project. Without your fingers or other size comparison it is so easy to forget the tiny scale which is a tribute to your great skill.
The top decking with the museum machine is fabric over steel tube.

Joachim