Author Topic: 1/28 Revell Fokker DR1 Triplane  (Read 588 times)

Offline DaveB

1/28 Revell Fokker DR1 Triplane
« on: May 01, 2024, 09:09:06 PM »
Dear all,

Another build just completed.

This kit was given to me by a fellow member of the forum (we are both members of local model club) Steve, Lone Modeller.  The instruction was to make a best a job as possible and to do any scheme other than MVR.

So here is the result - I've tried to push myself a bit on this one and I have made quite a number of changes to this ancient (1957) Revell kit which is very crude from the box with little cockpit detail and incorrect features.  Every single part needed cleaning up of pin hole ejection marks, flash and heavy seams.   Therefore, a lot prep work and extensive use of putty and files.

The following modifications were carried out:

Filed and cut away the moulded 'details' on each inner fuselage half and rebuilt up cockpit (using as many original parts as possibly) adding the really obvious missing details;
Shape of cowling;
Propeller and boss - kit part filed to (hopefully) a better shape and less paddle like;
Port side aileron cut to match shape of one on opposite side;
lower wing skids improved;
kit MG08/15 guns to improve look and make the breech ends of the guns more accurate;
tailplane support struts repositioned;
landing gear axel aerofoil corrected and reshaped.

Added:

missing access hatches and panels;
carberettor air intake pipes;
windscreen a modified clear part from my spares box

Numerous other minor details added.

Rigged with combination of elastic thread (control cables) and 3lb fishing line for bracing wires.

I chose the markings to represent Oblt. Bruno Loerzer, Erchin aerodrome, April 1918.   National markings sourced from my spares box and model entirely brush painted as always.

For the really professional modellers on this site, this kit could be a great project and could really be heavily detailed up.

For myself, and I very pleased how this one has turned out for me.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Radarman

Re: 1/28 Revell Fokker DR1 Triplane
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 10:58:58 PM »
Well done, Dave! Very well done!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 01:15:01 AM »
Really well done Dr1 Dave! You have turned the Old Girl into a Stunner! Lovely paint work as always.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline djuggie

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 02:03:31 AM »
Dave,

What a beautiful model from a very old kit.  According to my research, this kit showed up between 1955 and 1959.  It has been re-released many times but it is a very old kit.  You have done an excellent job bringing this old bird back to life.

Dennis

Online Davos522

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 02:41:25 AM »
Excuse me, I'm vintage 1957, and I wouldn't exactly consider myself ancient...  ;D

All ribbing aside, congratulations on having done a bang-up job on this (ahem) mature kit... I still have most of the unbuilt parts of one in pale blue styrene that must date back to the early 1970s.

Dutch

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 07:10:28 AM »
Just for the information of others, the kit that Dave has used was in red plastic, which means if my memory serves me correctly, that it was a very early moulding.

That is just brilliant Dave - and shows how a good model can be made form some very mature moulds. (Sorry Dutch: I actually pre-date 1957....!) The modifications have really paid off and the finish is as usual, excellent.

I am looking forward very much to seeing this soon.

Stephen.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 04:57:00 PM »
Lovely work, Dave. You've shown just what can be done to a venerable old kit with lots of skill and patience. Nice.
Sandy

Offline NigelR

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 06:05:01 PM »
Madness. The simple act of brush painting white over red plastic would be beyond me (I know, because I failed to do something similar on a WNW DVII which made me buy an airbrush!). Great work on a very ropey kit, well done indeed!!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 03:26:31 AM »
Thank you all kindly, gents!

Madness. The simple act of brush painting white over red plastic would be beyond me (I know, because I failed to do something similar on a WNW DVII which made me buy an airbrush!). Great work on a very ropey kit, well done indeed!!

Cheers, Nigel -

Yup, had to paint over all the horrible red plastic building up paint in layers which does take time.

Regards

Dave

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 04:55:33 AM »
What a great model out of such a crude kit! And I tried to locate any traces of brush paint, except for the obvious streaking, and I failed... Top notch!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 08:46:01 AM »
I love how this one has turned out - well done, sir! I too remember building this bright red thing as a kid, so I know you have done wonders to make it look so good.

Cheers,

BC

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 05:46:04 PM »
Stunning model! Really well done  ;D
//Ben

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 01:59:38 AM »
Many thanks, Prez, Brad and Ben!

Regards

Dave

Offline Allan31

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2024, 09:32:27 PM »
Bravo Dave. I'm always amazed at how good that kit really is for it's age, your prop is the most obvious improvement. I was born in 1956 BTW.
I was poking around on evilbay and found an old Dragon Dr.1 for cheap with some extra light blue packaging never even mentioned by the listing seller.

Two complete kits.
Really great job. Hoping you can turn your attention to the Camel and SPAD now......

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 10:37:13 PM »
Allan -

Very kind of you to say so thank you!

Look forward to seeing what you can do with this one now you have the kit.

Regards

Dave