Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 436241 times)

Offline GrahamB

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1890 on: April 26, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »
I sense that not few a few people on this site are becoming somewhat disillusioned with, and critical of, WNW. I think this is quite unfair considering the output that they have given us over the years and their constant striving for that difficult combination of accuracy (so much desired among the WW1 aircraft modelling fraternity as anywhere else) and 'buildability''. Added to that is WNW's commitment to giving modelers a decent, but often unacknowledged, choice of variants/modifications/alternatives with any release. These factors, and dealing with the actual manufacturers, are behind some of the delay with the Camel as I heard and inferred from my brief chat with Dave at the show. I have no problem with WNW at all and my limited cache of kits (probably 10) is, considering my rate of building, about 5 years' worth of modelling.

Having wish- and want-lists is fine in its place but please, gentlemen, have a sense of proportion.
Sermon ended. ;)

Best wishes,

GrahamB

(An Alb DVa OAW and Fokker E.IV added to the pile this weekend).

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #1891 on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
Well said Graham !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #1892 on: April 26, 2016, 12:09:36 PM »

To be honest gents all the hype, smoke and mirrors and drama is created by us the modelers the only information they release is actually for our benifit (Forewarning of the price hikes and end of free shipping) - The modeling arm of Wingnut Products was created for Sir Peter Jackson's own pleasure it just so happens that he shares it with us and I believe that has been documented in an interview with him and the company when they first arrived on the scene.

I think it's great that we have a producer that is focused on quality and build-ability rather than trying to keep the shifting tides of consumers happy, because lets face it they could release a an Albatros W.4 tomorrow and some of us would be over the moon while others would be commenting on the bazaar choice of release.

Enjoy the memes.

Offline Gerg

« Reply #1893 on: April 26, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
Be careful fellow modelers. A few of you have bordered on sacrilege. You have been warned.  :)
I sense that not few a few people on this site are becoming somewhat disillusioned with, and critical of, WNW.
Being critical is harmful in a civilized society.   :o
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:27:27 PM by Gerg »
“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline IvotB

« Reply #1894 on: April 26, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »
Up until now I have just built one WnW kit (D.VII) and some 6 WnW kits are waiting in the attic. If I take a look at the contributions on this forum I see a lot of big stashes. I have never seen somebody having built them all and in need for a new kit  ;).

I am extremely happy with WnW as they have brought the quality of polystyrene 1:32 ww1 kits to a new level. I am very grateful for that achievement. I also see a number of modellers here who are pushing the already high quality WnW kits to an even higher level (eg Bo with the DVA and D.VII). This in itself is a new challenge and may have brought some towards scratch building and others to designing their own 3D kits.  :)
So in the end we are just improving ourselves in building better models, thanks to WnW.

I'll just wait and see what other surprises they will have for us in the future. I'm not interested in a Camel, I would like to see a Farman HFXX in WnW quality, but I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed in that. I better try to master the 3D software in order to design my own kits  ;D

regards,
Ivo

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #1895 on: April 27, 2016, 02:21:05 AM »
Graham thanks for your reply.  I recall that they had to change one of their suppliers (tooling and molding) over quality issues.  I suspect that dealing with their suppliers is their biggest challenge.

Online macsporran

« Reply #1896 on: December 04, 2016, 06:24:16 PM »
Well, it's been over a year since we've had anything released by WNW.

There is an outfit called Autosport Models in the UK who are selling off shedloads of surplus decals from the kit releases on eBay and we've had one guy on here selling off a pile of the Bavarian decals (sourced from "a distributor in NZ").
We also know that WNW have emptied their stockroom of kits, sending all remaining stock out to the Weta distribution chain; at the same time transferring their stock manager to the other company.

The next announced release, the Camel, has been delayed and delayed.

Looked at objectively, does nobody else hear the music from Gotterdammerung playing in the background? A valedictory note to proceedings?

My surmise is that one or two remaining employees have been tasked with getting the last project - the Horten er, I mean Camel - put together and launched before year end.

Of course I hope I am wrong, and if any of our NZ comrades can confirm that the WNW car park is still chock full of employees' cars, I'll be delighted.

On the other hand, if the moulds for, say, the Fokkers and Albatri were to be sold to, say, Revell and rereleased at £30 a pop, I don't think there would be too many complaints?
S

Offline rlrimell

« Reply #1897 on: December 04, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »

Don't write off Wingnut just yet....patience will be rewarded.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #1898 on: December 04, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »

Don't write off Wingnut just yet....patience will be rewarded.

Ray, I like to hear, what you're saying - and because YOU are saying it! But it's obvious that Wingnut Wings have gone through substantial changes lately. Whatever the future will bring us from WnW, it won't be like it was. Wingnut Wings is Sir Peter's idea, his "Baby", and we don't know and probably will never know, what for he brought this Baby to life. I enjoyed WnW so very much and have to admit frankly that I feel dissappointed that things have changed: the very low frequency of releasing new kits, the upgoing prices, the "remarkable" problems with WETA... But that's the way it is. My feelings are clear: I do not like it. But being quite grown-up I have learned to "give in to reality". Yes, I can live with the new, the changed WnW and will go on happily checking their website several times a day, enjoying what I see there. And I have to admit, it's a bit like it was in the pre-internet days(some of the older people here might share this memory..): One does not know what's waiting 'round the corner. Like waiting for christmas eve... Ah, Wingnut Wings and Sir Peter are bringing back the olde days! (Maybe THAT's Sir Peter's intention..?!)
Let's enjoy!
Richard

Offline Monty

« Reply #1899 on: December 05, 2016, 01:54:36 AM »
Hmm... I'd like to chime is here - to begin with a little tongue in cheek.... Firstly, we all blame Sir Peter, but Richard Alexander is actually in charge of production and I wonder... if he doesn't do the odd surprise release for Sir Peter, let's face it, they mostly come at Christmas and who doesn't love a surprise? Also the one liner by Ray Rimmel speaks volumes, don't forget NO kit gets made unless there is a decent Datafile - and he seems to do reviews as the kits are released - even he doesn't build them overnight! I'm pretty sure he has a lot more to do with the production schedule/source than we imagine... And I can let you into a big, big secret about two productions that WILL come but I don't know when,,,
-
-
-
Who knows when?

-
-
Not even Richard,,,

_
_

The Pfalz DIII

_

-

And a Late DH2

How do I know?

It says so on the sprues! (If you have the kits - check it out...)

Regards,
Marc

Offline nichenson

« Reply #1900 on: December 05, 2016, 02:56:13 AM »
Just a quick little note.  Some of this could be that they are waiting on shipments to the distributors.  If you look at the Albatros D.Va OAW kit, it isn't completely sold out.  There are some left to order from NZ and US.  Since it is a preorder and nothing more and we all know they don't do extra production runs, there are really only two possible scenarios that I can think of.  The first being that they didn't have enough decals, but as we all have seen they order lots of extras so I don't believe this is it.  Second, they could all be on a boat floating around somewhere crossing the Pacific.  I don't believe they would want the three locations to come out with new kits at different times as face it we would all be ordering across continents and creating a logistics nightmare for their new system that was set up.  So whenever Ahab makes port, I think we will have an answer to all of our questions.

Offline Monty

« Reply #1901 on: December 05, 2016, 03:30:47 AM »
Excellent point, Nic! 8)

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #1902 on: December 05, 2016, 07:44:12 AM »
I agree with The Red Baron. It was WNW that got me back into modeling at the age of 72. After seeing a kit I knew I just had to try and build again. Now on my third kit.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #1903 on: December 05, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
Ronny Bar has five WW1 aircraft types on his profiles page, so far not seen kitted by WNW, which "may" be a clue as to future releases.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:01:29 PM by Dave in Dubai »

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #1904 on: December 05, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »
Ronny Bar has five WW1 aircraft types on his profiles page, so far not seen kitted by WNW, which "may" be a clue as to future releases.

May that be a hint for good things to come.