Author Topic: Morane-Saulnier type N ...(Special Hobby-1/32).  (Read 19690 times)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: Morane-Saulnier type N ...(Special Hobby-1/32).
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 03:05:53 AM »
Great start Andi, looking to be a really nice build.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »
  Andi,
Excellent progress my friend. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline xmald

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
Hi Andi,
Morane N is one of my ww1 birds. You can find a cutaway of Morane online. There`s one thing that always bothered me and it was the engine managment. There are no controls in the model and there aren`t any on the cutaway. Due to lack of sufficient number of pics of the cockpit it`s still a mystery to me. In my Morane I have built a throttle/mixture lever since the majority of planes that used Le Rhone 9 had one. I have even tried to find some info on aerodrome forum ...
I`m looking forward to see the next update.
Best regards
Filip

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
Its all a learning process. Research is part of the fun.

Steve

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Looks like a pretty good start!
 If you're on-the-ball enough to spot that the framing should be round, and then correct it, you should be onto a winner. I'm not used to working this big (1:72 is my scale!) but I'm looking forward to following this one...

Ian

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
you are on the right track. the first thing i did with this kit is to make the frames from evergreen round stock to replace the square kit parts. the easiest way to do it is to lay the parts on paper and spray so dark spray paint on them. when you move them there will be exact layouts on the paper for you to follow. just lay the plastic rods on the template and cut all the parts and glue together. it really wasnt very hard and it looks much better in the model.

Offline Jan K

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:52:45 AM by Jan K »

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:24 AM »
Handy reference material Jan. Thanks!!

Steve

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »
A couple of great threads Jan' .............. those will make a big difference to how I go about things, plus it fills a few gaps in my understanding of areas of the build too - a perfect piece of reference - Very many thanks.

Also very many thanks for the supportive replies I've received, it really does help.
I spent quite some time at the "East Mid's show" searching out the WW1 builds - there was a surprising amount of them. It really is a well supported area of interest: and every modeller I spoke with was positively gushing about their subject - a good day out.

As an aside, I'm continuing to work on the build, just nothing noteworthy yet ... pic's as soon I  manage something worth recording.

Cheers all..............
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »
Hi all............

Well, an update of sorts? It's been something of an ordeal as I'm really not used to this scale at all ... my admirations just increase when I see what you guys are producing at this scale and less!!

First the pic's ........................

And then of course the excuses....................

The main thing being I smashed the dang thing to bits!! - I didn't mean to ... I was trial fitting it all together and it just sort of collapsed - ["broke it mummy"]!
Put it all back together but it didn't look quite as crisp?? Not that it mattered 'cos I did bugger the paint up anyway.
Fitted a floor which you can see, I'm still not sure whether I'm doing the right thing or not seeing as the subject is so unfamiliar. But I'm going with the notion that this is a test build anyway so I should be able to get away with most everything????

Had a go at the "wood-graining that I've admired - though had to be different and decided to see if I could do it in acrylics to cut down on the drying time of oils. So, not dead brill' or anything, but it does show promise as a technique? Unlike my build abilities - although whilst disappointed in the result I'm not despondent or anything ..... it should improve - at least a bit!

KBO ............. Andi.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 02:56:46 AM »
  Andi,
My friend your wood graining looks excellent on the floorboards so don't be too hard on yourself. Great progress to date and I'm looking forward to following this build thread with great interest.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 02:57:56 AM »
Test fitting is always a hazardous occupation, Andi.  Most of my accidents occur during that process,  so do beat yourself up over it.  You made a great recovery and your wood grain looks fantastic.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 04:01:39 AM »
The wood and leather look first rate!  I really like the modulated tones.  I think your acrylics worked just great, at least in the pics.  Keep up the good work! :)

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 05:00:25 AM »
Very well done. Dont be too hard on yourself.

Steve

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:56 AM »
Totally agree with what everybody else has said regarding your wood painting - very effective!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?