Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b in 1/144  (Read 8855 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b in 1/144
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2021, 12:08:25 AM »
    I'm following your progress as you rig this little gem and recalling the many tense sessions I experienced rigging my 1:32 Scale "Fee", this just blows my mind!! It may have been the double lines that tipped me over the edge, I am impressed beyond words. Wonderful modelling!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2021, 12:14:56 AM »
I got a 1/32 CSM Nieuport from my wife as a Christmas gift and I'm paralysed just looking at the size of the thing!
Oh, what a useful gift!
At first you can build a Nieuport,
and later use can use this biplane as shelf to display all your other models ;D

Cheers,
Frank

😂😂😂Brilliant!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »
Beautiful job on the rigging !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2021, 09:25:39 PM »
Double rigging wires in 1/144 scale - now that really is setting the rest of us an example! Like Rick words fail to express my admiration for this model.

Stephen.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 11:22:33 PM »
OMG, pinch me.  After four years it is finally standing up on its own.

Added some more rigging to the wings during the week and turned my attention to the booms today.  These had chord bindings around them at regular intervals between the struts.  A mere 76 of them according to the WNW instruction manual.  I did them the same way Sir Peter intended sprayed some decal sheet and applied them as little strips.  It took about three hours and when they were finished they were all but invisible (!).  A tiny wash of artist oils was needed to pick them out.

Once that was done I was able to nervously coax the booms into the slots in the wings and sit back in my creaky chair to take a look..  :0

Bughunter

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2021, 12:16:50 AM »
You very clean builds are so impressive, this could be a WNW kit and you use a gigantic coin and match.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2021, 04:20:44 AM »
I completely agree with Frank - this is really a WNW kit and you have spent years making that match!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2021, 05:41:55 AM »
Fantastic job on the rigging !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2021, 06:42:01 PM »
Probably one of the more incredible builds I’ve seen over the years -  I can’t think of any further superlatives. I would love to see this (although I’ll need my magnifying glass) in a show one day in Oz. Lol I’m too nervous to tackle my wnm one! Cheers Matt

Offline RichieW

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »
It hardly seems possible that such microscopic perfection could be created yet here it is! I am utterly floored by the skills, patience and sheer brilliance of this build. I think I have a new all time favourite model!

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2021, 11:13:28 PM »
I totally agree with Richie - amazing work on such a tiny model ...........

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2021, 02:28:32 AM »
The best a modeller can get!

::) ::) ::)

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline William Adair

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2021, 09:04:02 PM »
Thanks again gents.  It's a hard slog to be sure but its coming together.

I completely agree with Frank - this is really a WNW kit and you have spent years making that match!

Ha!  I get a lot of giant match comments, but that is the best one I've heard!   ;D ;D ;D

Heres some more progress.  The tail codes were a bit of a problem, as there is nothing out there in 1/144 that can be used for them.  However I found a screenshot of wingnut wings' decal sheet and was able to reduce it in photoshop and use it as a guide to draw high resolution codes of my own.  I printed two of these out.  One on white and another on clear decal film.  I used a regular domestic laser printer and set it to grayscale and Best quality.  It printed out nice and clear even at this size.  Maybe this might be useful for larger scale projects too?

Both sheets were brushed with a light coat of satin acrylic clear to seal them.  The plain black "85" was put on first and settled in nicely with my favourite Mr Mark Softer.  As you can see, I allowed myself plenty of spares!

The next bit was the tricky part.  Using a fresh scalpel blade I roughly cut out a nice looking A and 7, leaving a generous margin of space around them.  These were soaked off of the backing paper and placed on a dark surface.  I then popped my 12x Borg eyepiece in and carefully chopped the excess white away from each of them.  This took a number of tries but eventually produced a couple of pairs that I was happy with.  Rather amusingly, my head was practically touching the bench as I was doing this.  My wife happened to walk past and thought I had nodded off...  :D 

Anyway, here's a shot of the finished tail codes.  I also managed to get some more rigging in place along the booms and made a start on the control pulleys on the wings. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:04:04 AM by William Adair »

Online macsporran

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2021, 01:33:29 AM »
I thought I was doing well chopping away white decal surround on the tail codes of my RFC Nie27 - but that was in 1/32 scale. Doing the same thing in 1/144!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your model is superb - I just hope the eyesight of people seeing it is sufficiently good to appreciate the artistry.
Sandy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2021, 01:55:38 AM »
I agree with Sandy - cutting out white surrounds in this scale borders on maniacal behaviour!

Stephen.