Author Topic: Lohner C1  (Read 2409 times)

Offline djuggie

Lohner C1
« on: February 22, 2024, 12:36:40 PM »
February 21, 2024

Another Austro-Hungarian vacuform off the shelf and on to the table.  The C1 went into service in 1915 but were withdrawn due to a weak wing design.  This was corrected with subsequent aircraft.  The swept back wing configuration of the wings gave this entire family of Lohner biplanes the name "Pfeifiegern" or Arrow Flyers.  The arrow shape was very apparent when viewed from above by other aircraft.

This kit was molded by Joe Chubbeck, a master mold maker.  His Formaplane name was taken over by MHW and they went on to produce some kits.  This is one of their early offerings.

I will be building the early unarmed version although I have a photo of a very basic machine gun mounting of this plane.  I may add a machine gun to the build.  Another difference will be the wheels were open spokes but I have none in my parts box.  So they will be solid.

I will not be showing all of the sanding details.  I will leave that to Ian's excellent build of the Fe-8 with a step by step and well photographed build.  I want to build like him when I grow up.

One thing I did do was to outline all of the parts with a black marking pen and I am very pleased with the results.  Makes over-sanding less of a problem.

Since the model is going to be a early version, I cut off the engine cowling and will mount the engine exposed.  At this point all cockpit work is completed and an engine from my scrape pile was slightly modified to look like a Hiero engine.

The fuselage will be next.

Dennis

Offline Davos522

Re: Lohner C1
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 01:00:20 PM »
Really looking forward to this one, Dennis, I recently gave Eric Hight’s 1:48 CSM version to No 1 Son since I’m only doing 1:32 from here on out. But it was a lovely kit, and you have to love those markings.

Dutch

Offline xan

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 05:14:00 PM »
what a buetiful plane aand lovely marking
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 07:00:44 PM »
Another interesting subject in colourful A-H markings. Nice start!

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 07:44:19 PM »
It's great to see the old vacs coming back to life.

Online enathan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 08:45:52 PM »
An Austro Hungarian two seater vac in 1/72 scale?...
I'll watch this Pfeilflieger come to life with interest Dennis, It's a beautiful plane.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 11:09:12 PM »
Thank all of you for the positive comments.

Dutch mentioned he had a CSM 1/48th.  Is there any way I can get a copy of the instruction sheet?  It will have details that the 1/72nd doesn't have.

Dennis

Offline Davos522

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 01:08:18 PM »
Hi Dennis, I just sent you a PM apologizing for my gaffe, Eric made a B.II, not a C.I. I hadn’t looked at the kit more than a half-dozen times in the twenty years since I photographed the parts and posted them to the old CSM website, and seeing the picture in Dr. O’Connor’s book you posted I got it in my head that we were talking about the same aeroplane! But like I said in my message, LMK if you still want the scans, Marty Digmayer did his usual lovely job on the drawings.

Dutch

Offline djuggie

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 12:58:08 AM »
Dutch,

Not a problem.  I was able to glean enough information from two photos that gave me a reasonable idea for the kit.  The model is currently well along.  I got crazy at the workshop yesterday and had to slow down so I could photograph my progress.  Any model made by Joe Chubbock is good and this kit does not disappoint.  I will have some progress shots later today.

Dennis

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 01:36:49 AM »
I agree that JC made some of the best of the vac forms and they are a good starting point for the unkitted obscure types. Joe used to work for Airfix in his younger days! His friend and pattern maker Les Cooper also produced note worthy vacs.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 01:59:06 AM »
Hi Dennis, check your messages here on the forum, I sent you a PM this morning.

D.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 10:24:43 AM »
February 23, 2024

Due to the quality of this vacuform, progress has been rapid and there is not much to say.  I added some frame work, inserted the cockpit assembly and then trimmed my engine to fit.  Four tabs were added to aid with alignment and the fuselage was closed up.  This took very little time and I had forgotten how good Formaplane quality was. 

The model is now in the putty stage.  The parts box is being raided for the little fiddy bits such as props, wheels, etc.

Dennis

Online DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 05:56:36 PM »
Looking good Denis
(Got this one in the stash so paying special attention) ;)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 07:14:18 PM »
Good progress, another nice build coming together.

Offline IanB

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 01:08:21 AM »
Impressive progress!
Thanks for the comment on the FE8 build, much appreciated!
 Be careful what you wish for though. If you build like me you won't get much done!

I need to buy another bottle or two of mojo!

Ian