Author Topic: Help needed with struts and things  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Cimmerian

Help needed with struts and things
« on: February 07, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »
Hi Gents.

As the title says I need some help. I’ve been working on a Revell 1/48 Fokker DR.1. This is a re-boxing of Eduards weekend edition so it is just the basic kit. It was mostly going okay until I attempted the undercarriage. The instructions tell you to drill holes for the legs to go in but they don’t really tell you where. In the end I bought an Eduard dual combo and borrowed the PE part to use as a guide for drilling. This mostly worked and it was stood on it’s undercarriage for a while (a little off level but passable).

While I was putting the decals on the model started to make some interesting noises, this was caused by the whole sub-structure deciding it wanted to be in a different position. It now looks horrible and I’m not sure if I can do anything to make it better.
My problem is that I have two more of these. Is there some clever trick that would help me get the undercarriage struts set at the right angles so that the model will sit level?

As I also have some British machines in the stash how do I go about setting the angles on the struts for these?
Any help and advice will be gratefully received.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Modelnut

Re: Help needed with struts and things
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
If you enjoyed that, pick up a Roden kit. No locater pins or holes at all!

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
If you enjoyed that, pick up a Roden kit. No locater pins or holes at all!

I'll pass on that thanks.

Thanks for the help Red Baron...sorry I made your plane look pretty rubbish. :D

Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
yeah thats a tricky landing gear array, dont know why they didnt at least make the struts into "V" shape at least then it would give you the apex angle. i would say the red baron has a great way to do it.its as good a method as any.to me the trick is to get everything lined up before glue sets firm. i have done several and tryed different ways. my favorite way was to make a piece of plastic sheet cut the size of the landing gear wing. i drilled holes where they need to be to match the kit parts. then i flipped the plane upside down and made a stand out of paint jars and cd cases just to get the thing to sit level. then glue the legs to the bottom of the airplane and stick the lower tips of the legs thru the plastic sheet with the proper spaced holes. adjust to the right angle then let it dry. the plastic card is so light it will hold the legs where they belong without wanting to lay over. once dry just substitute the kit parts for the plastic piece and glue in place. but it is each modellers preference how to do this.

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
That's another good idea, thanks.
Regards, Ken