Author Topic: White Ensign Models WWI aircraft enamel paint  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
White Ensign Models WWI aircraft enamel paint
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
I just became aware of this paint a few days ago.  Does anyone have any experience with these paints and their overall accuracy and appearance.

I have used White Ensign paints on WWII subjects and I am aware of the overall good quality of the product, but I have not tried the WWI paints.  For those wishing to see the product: https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/WW1+Aircraft+Colours/1103/1/

I noticed that German Mauve is missing from the present lineup.  I also observe that the Misterkit lineup of acrylics is far broader in scope.
Honor Necessity

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: White Ensign Models WWI aircraft enamel paint
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
i never did care for the mrkit stuff.  imho the mauve is too violet compared to what my references seemed to show and i could never get them to work in my airbrush, then they bead up when you brush them. i think i just like enamels for the most part better than acrylics although i do use quite a few for certain effects. i will have to try the white ensign stuff to see.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »
I've had the opposite experience with the MisterKit paints.  I never had a problem airbrushing
them.  I have thinned them with water and also Tamiya X20a thinner without any trouble.
Maybe it was just beginners luck. ;D  As for the Mauve, I agree with Albatros1234.  I think
it has to be toned down a little.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
I didn't know White Ensign had a range of WWI paints until I read Eric's post. I have used acrylics almost exclusively for several years and, like Ernie, I'm a fan of Misterkit paints. However, I think I'll pick up the White Ensign French colors to see how they look and maybe try them on my current project.

mike in calif

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »
I'm pretty much locked into Humbrol, but have heard good stuff about WE paints. I think I have some of their WWII colors.