Author Topic: A different medium....  (Read 2258 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: A different medium....
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 03:14:36 AM »
None of those other projects is really finished...despite the fact that the White Company archers box diorama was already exhibited at the Delaware Art Museum! Hah! Talk about a perfectionist.
Well, Put 'em up anyway!  They're brilliant.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:15:49 AM »
That figure is beyond words to describe…… You are very clearly a man of extraordinary talent - i do not recall ever seeing a face quite as convincing as that. And then you say that you cannot build aeroplane models?? Try the other one….it has a bell on it!!!

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 04:32:53 AM »
I agree with Bud. I've had the privilege of seeing some of your figure diorama work. You need to share it with us all!

G

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 04:51:35 AM »
That figure is beyond words to describe…… You are very clearly a man of extraordinary talent - i do not recall ever seeing a face quite as convincing as that. And then you say that you cannot build aeroplane models?? Try the other one….it has a bell on it!!!

Stephen, go on with you, as is said in the South. I see it as two different sets of skills. Maybe I should just drink more beer and stop worrying about defining the differences.

As far as Try the other one….it has a bell on it!!! I'm not sure if I dare to ask what this means....unless it has something to do with pulling one of various human appendages...with varying results....

Seriously though, I sincerely appreciate your kind words and indefatigable support.

Cheers from this Side,
Michael

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 05:01:15 AM »
I am also wondering what the "bell" statement means, Stephen. ??? Is this a southern thing?

George

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 05:02:37 AM »
Only if it's from the South of England...

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 05:04:43 AM »
Only if it's from the South of England...

Oh, I'm not even in the right continent? I'm so confused!! :o

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:28 AM »
"Gregory, regardless of subject, I am a firm believer in using pictures of the real object to work from. I used this one for the leopard skin"
Michael,
I've been studying the photograph with a magnify glass for hours now and still don't see the Leopard skin referred to.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Who's apparently blind to leopard skin.
" What Me Worry"

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »
"still don't see the Leopard skin referred to"

AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY DIRTY OLD MAN IN THE BUNCH.

Rick, I think I just used a stiff-ish brush and stippled it on, then very gingerly blotted it with a softer brush. It needs to be even but it's really easy to make it disappear all together. And it's a balance between trying to recreate a true 5 o'çlock shadow (which to me means a guy (or gal) whose dark "beard" shows through pale skin even just after a shave) and a guy who just looks like he needs a shave. I wanted this man to look as if he is battle weary but not just coming from a battle.

HTH.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Prussian Blue?  Brilliant!  I've been using straight Ivory Black, Payne's Grey or even Mars Black, but they looked too stark and "dead"-  just wrong, though Payne's Grey does seem to work better on smaller-scale figures (54mm and smaller).

Andrea do brilliant figures.  Among my top three- Poste Militaire, Andrea and the late Richard Almond's figures.

"Pulling your leg" means trying to fool you or having a joke at your expense.  "Pull the other one- it's got bells on" means you've seen through the ploy and won't have your leg pulled.

Perfectly logical, ain't it?  ???

Many thanks, Maestro.

Cheers.

Dal.

"still don't see the Leopard skin referred to"

AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY DIRTY OLD MAN IN THE BUNCH.

Nah.  Not by a really long shot, mate.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »
Well, we have pull your leg on this side of the Pond. There is also an old trick uncles play on their nephews when they ask to have their finger pulled with malodorous results. Very tacky. So, hearing that bells were attached made me wary.

Yep..blue...next time you see a man with 5 o'clock shadow, or especially, a shaved head, look at the slight blue cast to it all. That's what I see, anyway.

Maestro? In my dreams! But thanks!

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 10:31:55 PM »
Michael, the bust is scary-good!  I wish I had even a thimble full of
your talent, my friend!  Thanks for sharing this gem as well as the
beauty on the Leopard skin...very life-like! 8)
  It's sad when your wife calls you a dirty old man and you head to
the bathroom to wash up. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...