Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
I'm such a stop-start modeller that I'm hesitant about Group Builds, but if I'm ever going to do one, it's going to be for Dave W, so I'll throw my hat in the ring here with the last Wingnut kit that joined the stash.

Funnily when it was originally released (at about 50GBP here) I thought, No, I've got a D.VIa, I'll not bother with a D.VIb! Big mistake. Of course once it was sold out I wished I'd bought one, then when WNW went west, I wished even more that I'd got one. Then I saw the sky-high prices and wished I'd originally bought half-a-dozen!

Anyway I finally added the Roland D.VIb to the stash and I've got the necessary Aviattic lozenge and plenty of refs, so this will be next up. Haven't decided on markings as yet (Definitely NOT the daft US camouflage experimental one though!)

So here we go.
Sandy

... oops, Sorry I'd better add a pic to show it's completely unstarted!. S.
Nice start Brad.
 I too lost mojo for quite a while and I'm hoping this tribute will get the proverbial juices flowing again!

Ian
Thanks Guys. I will get the sprue shots soon!
RAGIII
This is coming along very nicely - and quite quickly!! Good idea to leave the access panel open.

Thanks Nigel. As I have said this kit does go together well! I am including a picture with the lower wing and fuselage in place, (Not Glued) The small panel will be in the open position.
RAGIII

Looking great Rick!

Cheers,

BC

Thanks Brad. I am getting close to the painting stage! I also noticed I need to get rid of 4 ejector pin marks on the panel interior  ::)
RAGIII
The David Wilson Memorial Group Build 2024 / Re: 1/72 Roden Pfalz DIII
« Last post by RAGIII on Today at 12:41:02 AM »
Nicely done interior bits Paul. Just enough to be noticed after closing her up! The prop is stunning even if you save this one and do another!
RAGIII
The David Wilson Memorial Group Build 2024 / Re: WNW Junkers D.1
« Last post by RAGIII on Today at 12:37:29 AM »
Excellent progress von Fiddly Buckles  ;D Your engine looks Great.
RAGIII
That is a great choice and a Nice kit! Hopefully the build will be your motivation to get your Mojo back on track! One can never have too many triplanes  8)
RAGIII
Original Flying Kangaroo
Pioneer aviator Walter Oswald Watt became a full-fledged pilot in summer of 1911 when the Royal Aero Club issued him their 112th Aviator Certificate.  The Australian was already in his late thirties when he joined the French Foreign Legion's Aviation Militaire upon the outbreak of the Great War.  During his service with France Watt was personally decorated with the Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur by General Joffre, who served as Commander-in-Chief of French forces on the Western Front.

"In 1916 he transferred to the newly formed Australian Flying Corps, with the rank of captain and command of B Flight, No.1 Squadron, then stationed in Egypt. In September he was promoted major and took command of No.2 Squadron which was being formed in Egypt. The new squadron was sent to England (Tetbury) for training in early 1917 and arrived on the Western Front in September. He kept three Australian squadrons in France throughout the war to end all wars.

Charles Bean, on visiting No.2 Squadron after the battle of Cambrai, where Watt became famous for leading his squadrons on daring low level strafing attacks, recorded his impressions of its work: "They are winning themselves a magnificent name, this first Australian fighting squadron … It is Watt who has worked them up to this remarkably high level of conduct and general tone".   As the squadron commander Watt worked long hours, rising at 5 a.m. to give moral support to his dawn patrols; according to Bean, the heavy fighting at Cambrai had left Watt "very wan…he fell asleep after dinner". In February 1918 Watt—by then a lieutenant-colonel—was promoted to command the four squadrons (Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 8) of the Australian training wing at Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England. He excelled as a leader who inspired his crews with his ideals of service.
" (via pittwateronlinenews.com)
(from the Sydney Morning Herald, 16 May 1916):

(images via pittwateronlinenews.com)

(image: "a plane piloted by Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) Walter Oswald Watt, seen flying over German territory in 1915", via awm.gov.au)

Footnote: In 1921 Watt died of accidental drowning in shallow water near home at Bilgola Beach, in northern Sydney.
Completed models / Re: Sopwith Camel B6313 1/144 scratchbuild
« Last post by RAGIII on May 16, 2024, 11:59:22 PM »
Fantastic  Ondra! It was really great to see you come back to this one and bring it over the finish line!
RAGIII
Hi Brad
This is a nice kit, I personally cannot remember the panel lines so I will have to go up in the attic and see if either of the ones I built were built without removing them. It is funny you should say one day you will do one of Richthofen's planes, why don't you do this one as his. One thing I regret is the early markings of his Dr 1 (or maybe his first Dr.1) has one of the coolest schemes but of the 5 I have built in 3 different scales none of them were in that scheme (I'm talking about the scheme that is half red half Fokker Streak).
Alan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10