Author Topic: Two more rare kits in 1/72  (Read 1174 times)

Online enathan

Two more rare kits in 1/72
« on: February 04, 2024, 07:24:32 AM »
I have recently found and bought two rare kits of German prototypes.
I usually avoid Merlin kits (for obvious reasons), I only look for those that were not produced by other manufacturers. I already have their Morane Saulnier 28 (AF) and the recent purchase is the LFG Roland D.XVI.
The D.XVI was a late war parasol monoplane inspired by the Fokker D.VIII that did not enter production. The kit does live up to Merlin's reputations and will require a lot of work.
The second is one of the most unusual WWI types, the Siemens Schuckert DDr.1. It was a twin engined triplane with two rotary engines in a push-pull configuration that had crashed on its first flight...
The main parts of the Roseplane kit are cast in resin and the wings are vacuformed. Surprisingly, the supplied engines are the the 11 cylinder SH.III and not the 9 cylinder SH.I. Otherwise it looks like a very good kit.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:09:26 PM by enathan »

Offline DaddyO

Re: Two more rare kits in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 06:45:32 PM »
Can't wait to see that Ddr1 going together.
Good luck with the Merlin Roland; I started a Merlin Junkers, but by the time I'd thrown away everything that I wasn't going to use there was only 2 wings and a couple of fuselage halves, both of which needed so much work I decided building from scratch would be easier  ;D

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Davos522

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 11:05:01 PM »
I'd love to see your collection someday, Ehud, your encyclopedic knowledge is a constant source of amazement... your house must be a virtual museum of limited-edition and obscure WWI kits! I remember some of them from ads in old issues of Fine Scale Modeler or reviews in WWI Aero, but the overwhelming majority are completely new to me.

All best,

Dutch

Online enathan

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 04:32:07 AM »
Thanks Dutch!
I'm in Israel, have always been far from any good sources of WWI kits and had to do with the occasoinal Airfix/Revell ones.
I came back to the hobby a few years ago, and of course the world is much smaller now and there are many more possibilities. Add to that my tendency towards the rare and unusual, and here I am - can't resist an unsuccessful single prototype in 1/72...
I am a musician - writing, arranging and performing music and unlikely to retire in the near future. For the time being I'm not building models, just collecting the ones I could only dream of when I was young, but my fingers are itching  ;)   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 07:12:35 AM by enathan »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 05:01:51 AM »

Online enathan

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 06:18:00 AM »
Thanks Stephen! Your build log will certainly be of help when the time comes to build the DDr.1.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 07:10:34 AM »
Thanks Dutch!
I'm in Israel, have always been far from any good sources of WWI kits and had to do with the occasoinal Airfix/Revell ones.
I came back to the hobby a few years ago, and of course the world is much smaller now and there are many more possibilities. Add to that my tendency towards the rare and unusual, and here I am - can't resist an unsuccessful single prototype in 1/72...
I am a musician - writing, arranging and performing music and unlikely to retire in the near future. For the time being I'm not building models, just collecting the ones I could only dream of when I was young, but my fingers are itching  ;)

I suffer from the same affliction  :-\ :-\

Offline Davos522

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 12:13:24 PM »
I’ve always found it interesting that a lot of modelers also tend to be into music, and specifically seem to build instruments as well as models. I know a couple of folks here on the forum are also luthiers, and a well-known scratchbuilder from the ‘90s also made meticulous reproduction harpsichords.

And don’t worry, E, the great thing about plastic is that it’ll keep until you can get around to building some of them!

Dutch

Online enathan

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 09:03:49 PM »
I've never built any instruments but I was always involved in the building of mine, which are hand made special commisions. I also feel that arranging and composing music has a lot of similarities with modifying and detailing kits and scratch building  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:37:46 AM by enathan »