Author Topic: Revell 1:28 Spad XIII as Luke's plane, at least the one he was photographed near  (Read 18406 times)

Offline RichieW

Managed to order a second hand copy online, looking forward to it immensely!

Offline smperry

You will thoroughly enjoy it. St. Harry has loads of tricks and techniques to share, but most important is his ability to share his positive attitude.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

Sounds perfect! I had a delivery of Evergreen sheets and strips arrive recently.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
I shall be seeking out the Gospel according to St. Harry.

I may have a digital copy, let me get back to you

I know I did a cut and paste of his wing instructions with the pictures put into the text, and the whole lot spaced out to make it easier to read

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline GazzaS

Nice work!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
OK, I do have a copy - it is 25Mb making it difficult to email

Richard

Offline RichieW

No worries, I have a second hand copy arriving from Amazon in the next day or 2. Can't wait to get my 3 current builds done so I can have a bash at scratch building a whole model. It may well end in tears though! :)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger

Offline RAGIII

Thanks for that Richard. I have read through it a couple of times in the past but never downloaded or saved. I appreciate your effort!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

Thanks Richard, only had time for a quick scan through tonight, looks excellent!. Very kind of you to post it.

Offline smperry

Took a break from masking camo and decided to fool with the cowl ring and radiator for a bit.

I have some brass mesh and having just re-read Harry Woodman's book, I decided to use some and see if I couldn't make a replacement for the radiator in the front of the cowl ring. I made a backing out of 20 thou card to match the kit piece, then cut the mesh to fit and finally cut strips of 20 thou card to make the shutters.

As usual, execution falls short of conception, especially in my eyes.  I have not drilled any holes in the cowl ring for the shutter adjust rods and other odd holes since the radiator piece is not yet glued in it's final position. It still needs to be dry fitted and likely adjusted to fit on the nose. That gets complicated by the need for the top cowl piece to be removable, yet fit as perfectly as possible when in place. Additionally the Metalizer paint I used on the mesh didn't cover well and it looks a bit "brassy" at some angles. As usual, the enlarged photo shows the need for touchup that my unaided old eyes simply did not pick up. Best part of this exercise is that the original kit piece, which isn't so bad, is undamaged and can still be used if fit issues should require it.
sp

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

Looking great SP! You guys are almost making Me feel guilty about using the kit parts on My cowl/radiator shutters  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

I think it looks great!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RichieW

Love it SP! I think the mesh looks so much better than the kit part.

Have often had problems with paint not fully covering brass parts too. Was wondering if a fine spray of Mr Surfacer might help, was going to try it next time I use photo etch so don't know if it works.

Offline smperry

Richie
I should know better than painting direct on brass. I could have cleaned it, I could have sanded and buffed it, I could have done done all 3 and primed it; but no, I had to slap the metalizer burnt iron on it and was too pig headed to soak the mesh in lacquer thinner to clean the part and then properly prep the brass for paint.

I have decided, in spite the photo, to use the rest of the mesh over the holes in the side of the cowl. Mesh is hard to see on photos at some angles. Which brings up another related issue. The engine bearers on the Revell 1:28 Spad look similar to the real ones in general shape, but they are different enough that the X on the bearer seen in the Luke photo can not be seen at the same angle. So I decided to go ahead and cover the holes with mesh. Holding it up to the hole, it is surprising how little it obstructs seeing what is inside. The X is plainly visible through the mesh, just not when viewed from the same angle as the famous photo.

This time I will do my penance and properly prepare the brass mesh to receive paint.
sp