Author Topic: Metal cauling on Fokker E.II/III  (Read 6217 times)

Offline GHE

Re: Metal cauling on Fokker E.II/III
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »
Messieurs !

That roundel-polished version of a metal cowling is also seen on Lindbergh's machine; I'm not so sure whether under wartime
production there was any attendance to a great look ?
Perhaps the cowling had to be finished in good quality but not to good looks ; haven't seen this perfect polishing yet.

To get this pattern I imagine a first layer of a darker polishable paint; afterwards you will need those small paint brushes that
come with Gunzes Metal Paints; they have a ball-like small brush head; with the help of Tamiya tape as a ruler ersatz put
paint point after paint point of the second paint on the cowling and blend both metal colours by carefull polishing in the end.

Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
Here is a photo I ran across of an E.III replica in San Diego; the cowling finish looks period correct IMO:

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 03:34:34 AM »
I wonder if you could recreate it with aluminium foil and a dremel polishing attachment?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 05:13:54 AM »
maybe. I think the effect Ray Rimmel achieved with two aluminum colors is very effective, at least in his photos.

Offline dirk

Aluminium foil for Fokker E.II/III
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 05:23:55 AM »
Hi folks,

maybe this will be helpful for the discussion:

In Germany Cream Cheese is packed in plastic package and on top it is sealed with aluminium foil.  In my opinion, the squiggles that can be seen on the printed front as well as on the bare backside have the right size and shape. So maybe this material can be useful...

With greetings from Germany,

Dirk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:07:19 AM by dirk »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »
Seems to me the same pattern is on the tops of Kraft Philidelphia Cream Cheese plastic tubs; this indicates a trip to the Fridge is in order..........very interesting!
Cheers,
Lance