Author Topic: Caudron G.IV, CSM 1/48  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Allan31

Re: Caudron G.IV, CSM 1/48
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »
Promising?..looks scary as all 'ell to me!!!
Amazing work and progress.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Online Edgar

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 07:01:09 PM »
We have a biplane!

Sorry for the late reply Stephen, but a massive thank you for reminding me of the Datafile. It made it a lot easier to interpret what's in the CSM booklet and all those photos of the real thing. I've now added all the wires I think I should add at this stage and came to the conclusion, this Friday evening with no prior planning of it, that I should add the top wing. Some tricky positioning of wing and struts and the need to apply down pressure on the centre portion of the top wing, but all in all it went quite smoothly. The kit is really well engineered! Good work CSM!

Below you see two attempts to capture all of the loose wires, as well as what it looks like right now. I'll leave the clamp in place until tomorrow and cross my fingers (although that will be tricky as I need them) when I release it.

/Fredrik
If any help needed, do let me know

Offline Berman

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2022, 09:16:54 PM »
 I am hoping that CSM will produce a 1/48th scale version of their 1/32nd scale Caudron G.III.

Offline FAf

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2022, 03:15:05 AM »
Thanks for your inputs - Stephen, Richie, Allan, Edgar and Berman. I am currently ticking off one strand of rigging at the time. Slowly regaining sanity, as pointed out by Stephen. I've started with the engine nacelles as they are somewhat tricky to get to once other parts of the rigging is in place. I also had to deal with the centre part of the top wing popping loose. But all in all everything seems to be under control right now. Not much to show though in terms of photos.

That looks very promising indeed. You have a very good idea to thread groups of wires in those plastic tubes - one way at least of keeping some semblance of control over them! I am certain that the top wing will be well attached....and then you can attach many of those loose wires and slowly regain your sanity!

Stephen.

The black tubes are heat shrink tubes. A trick borrowed from Bertl (Umlaufmotor). The idea was that they would keep things a little bit better under control, but mostly to allow me to paint the crew nacelle and not the already painted control wires.

Promising?..looks scary as all 'ell to me!!!
Amazing work and progress.

Absolutely! Scary as 'ell! :D But this is a very solid contstruction and with the top wing in place it's actually quite easy to handle.

If any help needed, do let me know

Hi Edgar! How nice of you to drop by and to offer assistance. I must say that I am very pleased with this kit and the instructions for it (as well as that of the F.K.8 which I built before this). I especially like the photoetched attachement points for the rigging!

I think I have everything under control right now, but I'll be sure to give you a shout if anything pops up.

I am hoping that CSM will produce a 1/48th scale version of their 1/32nd scale Caudron G.III.

Me too! Absolutely!

Cheers Fredrik - who's off to attach another strand of rigging
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:38:44 AM by FAf »

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2022, 01:48:16 PM »
And I am hoping that they will produce a 1/32 scale version of their Caudron G.IV ;D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2022, 06:51:17 AM »
I just went through your build log. I must say that although you have hit some setbacks, your Caudron is looking superb! I Love your work to date!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2022, 11:28:54 PM »
Thanks Rick!

I've been continuing the rigging procedure. One strand at the time and it's soon over...

I'm sure many of you have made the same mistake, but I accidentally cut the wrong strand of monofilament. Nothing to do about it but to cut away the whole double wire installment and start again. At this point I also gave up on the effort to paint the monofilament before rigging with it. Most of the paint just got scraped off anyway and the model was covered in blue paint dust. I'll just paint the rigging last instead.

One unsolved problem is that some of the outermost struts won't sit quite right, they tend to be a bit bent. There should be another small supporting strut that might solve this, but the attachment point is really small and I'm not sure it'll be strong enough to be able to pull the larger strut into shape and hold it over time. I might try to drill and insert a metal rod of some sort. These struts will stay off for now.

And all of a sudden it was time to add the booms and landing gear struts. A bit fiddly, but, as with the rest of the model, everything fit really well and I managed to get it all straight.

But then I started rigging the tail end and probably pulled one line too taught and the whole tail end went to the right. Luckily there were more line to attach and I could pull everything back to the right position. It looks alright to me at least.

Take care and I hope all of you have a very Happy New Year!
/Fredrik

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2023, 01:42:03 AM »
You are doing an outstanding job on the complicated rigging of this beast Fredrik.

I also very much like the subdued colors and the weathering.

Cheers,

Willem

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2023, 02:24:54 AM »
You are doing an outstanding job on the complicated rigging of this beast Fredrik.

I also very much like the subdued colors and the weathering.

Cheers,

Willem

I agree wholeheartedly !! The rigging looks like it ranks with the DH2 and Fe2  :D
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2023, 02:26:28 AM »
Happy New Year Fredrik, it's good to see how you work your way slowly through the mass of rigging. I would find this an overwhelming plane to rig but I am learning much by following your progress.

Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2023, 11:11:35 PM »
Thanks for your comments Willem, Rick and Richie!

@Richie - I too was a bit overwhelmed by the rigging, but one at the time does the trick! :)

It feels like I'm moving towards the very end now, knock on wood...
The overwhelming bit about the rigging was really before the rigging itself started, when I was trying to understand how many lines that had to go where. Once I got to the part where I could start attaching lines one at the time, it wasn't very different from other simpler builds. That said, there were some issues while rigging the tail end, such as where the different control wires should go in order not to interfere with one another.

Some other small bits and pieces have been added...

Next up to sort out was the trailing antenna. I exchanged the kit's plastic part for a 1.0 mm brass tube earlier in the build. You can see the tube with its monofilament antenna wire in this first image.

This tube should also have supports, and they are not included in the kit at all (which isn't very strange really). I made those out of smaller brass tubing and aluminium foil from an IKEA tea light and stretched sprue to make the rivet attaching it all.

Once I've painted the supports and attached them to the antenna tube, I'll have to add this end bit to it.

I used the same materials to manufacture this - tea light aluminium, brass tubing of different diameters, a bit of 0.12 mm brass sheet and some stretched sprue for the rivet. The rivets out of stretched sprue turned out to be really good and you can close both ends without glue by carefully heating each end to make it curl into a bolt head.

Waiting for some paint and machine guns to show up before the end stages.
/Fredrik

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2023, 12:04:58 AM »
Wow! That is seriously insane craftsmanship. The rigging is one thing but that antenna is a whole new level.   Outstanding!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2023, 01:29:42 AM »
Superb Fredrik, I love those stretched sprue rivets. I have made a note of your method and will definitely be borrowing that one.Those tiny parts you cut out of tea light aluminium are so precise. You don't have a sideline as a watch maker do you?

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2023, 08:25:05 AM »
My head hurts from all that detail work!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2023, 10:25:01 AM »
Amazing scratch built additions ! Your work is really paying off.!!
RAGIII