Author Topic: 1/48 Blue Max/Eduard Sopwith Camel "Comic" Nightfighter  (Read 14432 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/48 Blue Max/Eduard Sopwith Camel "Comic" Nightfighter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Thanks, Lance!  Great to have you along.

Got all of the preshading done as well as the wood and aluminum base coats.  I'm itchin' to try out the Polly Scale Brunswick Green, but I've got to do the underside cdl first.  I'll be using Mr Color Sail color for that.  Love that stuff.  I've never used Polly Scale before.  Anyone have any tips for thinning it?

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
Your preshading looks excellent Bud as does the wood and aluminium base coats.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
Thanks, Des!  Wish I had your climate right now so I could finish up the painting.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »
Bud,
Looking great as always! Your wood, Aluminum and the pre shading are all top notch!! As for thinning Poly Sacale I use Distilled water with no problems, thinned to milk consistency. I think I may have used Windsheild washer fluid also but don't remember for sure.
IHTH,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »
great stuff budrick. first off i thin pollyscale with water. its actually my favorite acrylic paint well the older green label pollyscale. the red label stuff is basically model master acryl which aint bad but its not quite as good imho.i find it covers well and if you get the right consistancy you can brush it on with a soft wide brush and you would think it was airbrushed ie no brush strokes. you comic is looking sweet. i got one in the todo pile but its several chinks down right now. but i must say it is a very nice conversion. the only thing that i probably wont use beside the obvious seat upgrade as you opted is the lewis guns which look just a tad off to my eye. i like rodens lewis guns esp since theres always spares but my choice these days would be one of those super duper sweet 3d printed gaspatch guns. speaking off i got my mid salmson yesterday. boy that sucker is nice. cheers on you comic ole friend.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »
Bud,
Looking great as always! Your wood, Aluminum and the pre shading are all top notch!! As for thinning Poly Sacale I use Distilled water with no problems, thinned to milk consistency. I think I may have used Windsheild washer fluid also but don't remember for sure.
IHTH,
RAGIII
Thanks, Rick!  I like the idea of using distilled water.  Simple.  Like me.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
great stuff budrick. first off i thin pollyscale with water. its actually my favorite acrylic paint well the older green label pollyscale. the red label stuff is basically model master acryl which aint bad but its not quite as good imho.i find it covers well and if you get the right consistancy you can brush it on with a soft wide brush and you would think it was airbrushed ie no brush strokes. you comic is looking sweet. i got one in the todo pile but its several chinks down right now. but i must say it is a very nice conversion. the only thing that i probably wont use beside the obvious seat upgrade as you opted is the lewis guns which look just a tad off to my eye. i like rodens lewis guns esp since theres always spares but my choice these days would be one of those super duper sweet 3d printed gaspatch guns. speaking off i got my mid salmson yesterday. boy that sucker is nice. cheers on you comic ole friend.
Thanks, Scott!  I'm right along with you on those guns.  The barrels are just a tad too short, which makes 'em look kinda chunky.  Shame, 'cause otherwise they're nicely cast.   I'll be using those incredible Gaspatch guns, as well.  I might modify the Foster mounts just a bit, too.  They seem a little thick. 
I have the late Salmson, but that baby's so sweet, I might just have to buy the mid, also.  Phenomenal stuff.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
Hi Bud,

The shading looks fantastic, as does the woodparts. Great modeling as usual. Another beauty is on her way.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
Great work, Bud!  The preshading looks fantastic.  Well done!  I'm also
looking forward to the Brunswick green coat on this Camel.  It should
be really attractive when you are all done...with your talents there is no
doubt, although by the sounds of it you are going to have to step up your
production line. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
Sopwith Comic, eh? Who knew?  ;D  Now that I do though, I have to say that I like the looks of it, and naturally, with your craftsmanship, she'll be a corker when she's finished. Very nice post-shading, woodwork and metallic finishes. I'll be watching this with interest.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 12:55:19 AM »
This is coming together beautifully, Bud, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how things progress. Have you had any further thoughts as to how you will finish the upper surfaces?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Zabu

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »
Great suff, explendid work.

Cheers

Offline Brez

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 08:08:36 AM »
How great to have stumbled over this Bud! Beautifully done as usual, I'll keep following this as I must see the finished article  :)
You're right about those guns, I had a go at this conversion a while back and found that they needed replacing (unfortunately pre-Gaspatch). Likewise the mounts (I've got a couple of spare Foster mounts off the Roden SE5 if you're interested).

Keep up the good work,
cheers Tony.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
Thank you so much, gents!  Your kind words are encouraging and heart warming.

This is coming together beautifully, Bud, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how things progress. Have you had any further thoughts as to how you will finish the upper surfaces?

Best wishes
Nigel
Still planning on Brunswick green for the upper surfaces with a semi-gloss finish, Nigel.  That will be sprayed over metal, wood and fabric surfaces alike.
How great to have stumbled over this Bud! Beautifully done as usual, I'll keep following this as I must see the finished article  :)
You're right about those guns, I had a go at this conversion a while back and found that they needed replacing (unfortunately pre-Gaspatch). Likewise the mounts (I've got a couple of spare Foster mounts off the Roden SE5 if you're interested).

Keep up the good work,
cheers Tony.
Welcome to the forum, Tony!  So very glad you found us, mate!  I almost posted a photo of your NIVO finished kite early on in this thread just to show folks how it should be done, but thought it best to get your permission first.  Now that you're here, will you do the honors?  Thanks for the offer on the Fosters, but I have a few options in the parts bin.  Thanks for dropping in!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
  Bud,
Outstanding project to date my old friend. I really like your work on the Lone Star seat too. As always the preshading looks just awesome. I'm looking forward to more of this gem.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"