Author Topic: The sticky question of glue?  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: The sticky question of glue?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
Let's see...I have Tamiya glue, white glue, Weldbond, cyanoacrylate, Humbrol Poly, Tenax 7-R and Micro Weld. Obviously, I just can't make up my mind!  ;D

But I do find that each is useful in varying situations, with the Tamiya, CA and Weldbond being the top three. I also use Future to hold small PE parts in place if they are not subject to any stress. HTH!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:45 AM »
Anyone else ever try making a CA applicator with a sewing needle? You cut it at the eye to form a tiny fork. stick the pointy end into a wine cork. Viola. Dip in acetone to clean.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »
Anyone else ever try making a CA applicator with a sewing needle? You cut it at the eye to form a tiny fork. stick the pointy end into a wine cork. Viola. Dip in acetone to clean.

I have several of them and they work well. Got the idea from a member at Aeroscale and my good wife is still trying to determine where her sewing and quilting needles went. I stick the pointed end into a pre-drilled piece of wooden dowel.
I like the Future idea for small PE parts, having a little time to position vs the "one-shot" approach is something I need badly.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
Hey guys, do you think this darning needle is big enough for the job? It should pick up enough glue for a good solid joint.
It sure does a good job stitching up a turkey . . .    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
Looks a little too big to me  ;D

I can't remember the size I bought but they are tiny and cheap -- maybe a dozen for a dollar or so. You can cut the head with a sharp utility knife against a hard board or use sharp side cutters.

i like the idea of a wood dowel -- maybe a bit more precision? -- but I just stick'em into a cork as it makes a useful handle and will stand up on end by itself...

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:04:51 AM »

I've had mine for so long, I can't remember when I made it. Then again, at my age, it might have been last week...!  ;D  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."