Author Topic: Vickers Vimy Fly Model in 1/33rd  (Read 7445 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Vickers Vimy Fly Model in 1/33rd
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2023, 11:48:20 AM »
I like confusing students since I teach in a biology department but have airplanes all over my office.  ;D
Hahaha that's brilliant!!
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2023, 08:51:14 PM »
Superlative work Dan!  The engine nacelles look great.  Hoping you have a nice visit with your in-laws and manage to find some bench time as well!

Tim

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2023, 06:46:07 AM »
I'm sorry I steamrolled past the in-laws' visit, a lovely sentiment Tim.

For some inspiration here's the National Geographic documentary I practically wore out on VHS, rescued to digital in the nick of time (unfortunately it may not be viewable in your country due to copyright issues):
From England to Australia in a World War I Bomber..."Vimy I, cleared to land," radioed the control tower. "Welcome back to Darwin after all these years." With those words, the dream of Peter McMillan, an American, and Lang Kidby, an Australian, was realized: to recreate a 1919 flight from England to Australia that showed the feasibility of long distance air travel. This journey chronicles this record-breaking flight that marked the beginning of commercial aviation. Resurrecting original blueprints, McMillan and Kidby built a World War I era Vickers Vimy biplane bomber with open cockpit and cotton-covered wings, fitting it with modern engines and navigation gear. You'll witness the joy of cruising over the Taj Mahal and the aftermath of a crash landing on Sumatra. This story interweaves the 1919 and 1994 adventures, separated by 75 years but united in a common spirit of daring in THE GREATEST FLIGHT. - from the Amazon listing for the original VHS.
Zac in NZ

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2023, 02:57:30 AM »
Thanks Tim and Zac.  And I CAN see the documentary!  Guess what I'll be doing later today.

I think finishing up the nacelles and starting wing work will be part of this weekend.  I hope... ::)

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
And I CAN see the documentary!
I'm so pleased! I was so taken with it I remember making a Vimy out of Lego while I watched it!!
Zac in NZ

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 05:40:14 AM »
Very interesting project, I have in 1/100 two or three versions, including a Comercial Vimy.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »
What an epic project... and the Kubrick-inspired YouTube video was hilarious, I'd missed it for some reason when you first posted it, and just watched it the other night!

Onwards and upwards!

Dutch

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 12:57:10 PM »
Very interesting project, I have in 1/100 two or three versions, including a Comercial Vimy.

You should post those!  Although, I think your 1/100th builds were the things that inspired me to give paper models a go in the first place!  I'll look for them again.

Dan

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 12:58:16 PM »
What an epic project... and the Kubrick-inspired YouTube video was hilarious, I'd missed it for some reason when you first posted it, and just watched it the other night!

Onwards and upwards!

Dutch

Glad you liked it, Dutch.  I couldn't help it.  My cinematic skills are lacking, but it was fun to do anyway.  So far, all has progressed rather smoothly so I'm hoping this continues.  More soon...Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2023, 04:46:38 AM »
My cinematic skills are lacking, but it was fun to do anyway. 
I think it worked out rather well and I cracked up once I realised. An inspired move!

No pressure but I'm excited to see your next update.
Zac in NZ

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »
Thanks, Zac.  More Vimy craziness soon now that my Mother in Law is back home!  ;D

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2023, 01:45:08 PM »
[HomerSimpson]Woohoo![/HomerSimpson]
Zac in NZ

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »
Evening (or morning to Zac), All!

I got part of the lower wing center structure completed so I could at least test fit the nacelles/struts.  Fit is darn good.  I ended up cutting out the painted on areas that are supposed to be clear inspection panels and made them so with some old clear plastic from overhead projector material.  I put in some ribs and a bit of cable running through rib holes.  I don't think it's all that accurate, but it looks cool to have a window and some internal structure to look at.  It's hard to see in the photo but it's rather convincing in real life.

Onward to Australia!

Dan

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2023, 07:17:09 PM »
That looks great Dan!  I like the inspection panel.  Little details to take note of for my eventual 1/72 build. 

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2023, 02:01:58 PM »
Excellent progress Dan, thanks for sharing!
Zac in NZ