Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 431953 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2595 on: August 15, 2019, 06:25:52 AM »

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2596 on: August 15, 2019, 06:59:15 AM »

I hope you get to see it in person at Telford Bob, it looks Amazing  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2597 on: August 21, 2019, 05:16:26 AM »
So when this was announced I mentioned I thought an SE5a and F1 duelist was in order. Richard seemed to discount that as the Voss F1 is in the kit boxing. So here we go, How about F1 102/17 and a Pup as flown by Bird! They already have the Markings for the Pup and why not do  a Few More RFC Pups while re- issuing the Pup with the 80 HP engine  8)
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2598 on: August 21, 2019, 09:27:04 PM »
Along the lines of Alistair's thinking, a 1/32 Travelair Mystery Ship.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #2599 on: August 22, 2019, 01:46:37 AM »
So when this was announced I mentioned I thought an SE5a and F1 duelist was in order. Richard seemed to discount that as the Voss F1 is in the kit boxing. So here we go, How about F1 102/17 and a Pup as flown by Bird! They already have the Markings for the Pup and why not do  a Few More RFC Pups while re- issuing the Pup with the 80 HP engine  8)
RAGIII
Since there was such a small number of F.1's (3 if recall properly), I would highly doubt you would see any of them as a duelist boxing.  What are you going to use as the five (5) or six (6) subjects in the kit boxing of the F.1/early Dr.1 offering?
Honor Necessity

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #2600 on: August 23, 2019, 03:32:06 AM »
It's surely time for a Viper-powered SE5a at some point? I wonder what the eluctance is?
I'd love to see a Coppens Hanriot - like the Pup, such an elegant a/c.
And I'd still like a Hannover Cl.IIIa but I won't hold my breath.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2601 on: August 23, 2019, 04:23:28 AM »
RAGIII
Since there was such a small number of F.1's (3 if recall properly), I would highly doubt you would see any of them as a duelist boxing.  What are you going to use as the five (5) or six (6) subjects in the kit boxing of the F.1/early Dr.1 offering?

I think you are thinking along the long established lines that the "Early" Dr1 is the one with the smaller area ailerons. WNW is looking at different things separating early and late such as the broader chord Axle Wing and slightly relocated grab handles. So if one looks at their archive photos many schemes fall into the "Early" category. That being said I am probably wrong as always  :o
RAGIII

Offline Eric Armstrong

« Reply #2602 on: August 23, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »
^^I was thinking along the lines that WNW is doing two(2) boxings of the F.1/Dr.1:  One is the F.1/early Dr.1 and the other is the late Dr.1.  I would expect that the first boxing will contain all the parts to do both early Dr.1's and the F.1 and not just the different ailerons.
Honor Necessity

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2603 on: August 23, 2019, 06:55:27 AM »
^^I was thinking along the lines that WNW is doing two(2) boxings of the F.1/Dr.1:  One is the F.1/early Dr.1 and the other is the late Dr.1.  I would expect that the first boxing will contain all the parts to do both early Dr.1's and the F.1 and not just the different ailerons.

Sorry as I don't think I was clear on My point. Of course all will be included! That is exactly why I don't think WNW will include the almost Identical F1 102/17 as an option when so many schemes are available! Thus My thought on a Duelist including a Pup and the other F1  8)
RAGIII

Offline Eric Armstrong

« Reply #2604 on: August 23, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »
 8)  I was reviewing the excellent tome on the subject of the Dr.1 written by Paul Leaman (copyright and publish date: 2003) and it appears that roughly 2/3 of all Dr.1's were "late".  I guess this means we will have about 100 different subjects to pick from in theory as "early" Dr.1's.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:56:57 PM by Eric Armstrong »
Honor Necessity

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2605 on: August 31, 2019, 06:23:52 AM »
I see an SE5a and Fokker F1 "The Duelists" kit in the future  ;D
RAGIII

Most Obvious with would be the Voss vs 56 SQN with all the markings of the planes involved !

Back to  the latest topic in this thread --with "surprise" of the teaser for kit #77 and the early version of the Hannover at #79 there are still 8 unaccounted for numbers in the series. May well see the viper Se 5 , Dh4, Sop 1-1/2, Roland D II/III, Hanriot, Fe 8 and … without any further expansion of kit #s.

Ed

Ed
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:49:09 AM by dr 1 ace »
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Online macsporran

« Reply #2606 on: August 31, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »
My speculation this year would be that the gloves are well and truly off at WNW now.
The early intentions of not producing subjects already kitted elsewhere shook a little when the Camels appeared - but hey, the Hobbycraft mouldings were old and inaccurate, and in the hands of mass-producers now anyway, so no real problem

However, bowing to commercial pressure and announcing a fairly unnecessary (IMHO) Fokker Triplane showed that even where a good kit existed, WNW would not hesitate to blow it out of the water - and any faint hope of future 1/32 WWI releases from Roden.
(I shall pass over the HK Lancaster as off-topic, but....)

Now though, the StarStrutter teasers - for a kit still a year away - can only be explained by a strategy to stall buyers from purchasing the forthcoming CSM kit and wait for Wingnuts offering.
Now that WNW are THE major player in this market, a shame they are firing salvoes at a small but excellent company like CSM.

CSM's open policy about future releases seems to have provoked an unexpected reaction. In future do they tell WNW what they intend, to avoid replication, or does that invite another pre-emptive strike?

Of course if the WNW Hansa has as many manufacturing glitches as the new Gothas, the CSM HB may prove the better kit and Wingnuts could well regret the declaration of war.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2607 on: September 01, 2019, 12:39:57 AM »
I see an SE5a and Fokker F1 "The Duelists" kit in the future  ;D
RAGIII

Most Obvious with would be the Voss vs 56 SQN with all the markings of the planes involved !

Back to  the latest topic in this thread --with "surprise" of the teaser for kit #77 and the early version of the Hannover at #79 there are still 8 unaccounted for numbers in the series. May well see the viper Se 5 , Dh4, Sop 1-1/2, Roland D II/III, Hanriot, Fe 8 and … without any further expansion of kit #s.

Ed

Ed

From Your Mouth to Gods ears, or in this case Saint Peter  ;D
RAGIII
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:21:11 PM by RAGIII »

Offline eclarson

« Reply #2608 on: September 01, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »
Come on guys.  There are some pretty harsh conclusions being jumped to here regarding something that is most likely a crazy coincidence.   Planning and designing a kit does not happen over night and CSM only recently announced they were releasing the D.I.   To accuse WNW of "declaring war" on any manufacturer is ludicrous.   Also, the pending WNW Fokker Triplane is definitely not unnecessary.  It's an inevitable response to years of people begging them to tackle that subject and face it, the Roden kit, as good as it is, is getting long in the tooth. 

So unless some solid proof to the contrary is provided, I would hesitate accusing anyone of under handed practices.

Eric

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2609 on: September 01, 2019, 11:58:54 AM »
Just a friendly reminder ( following the removal of a now-deleted post) to everyone to keep it all nice and friendly in the developing debate of Wingnuts and Copper State Models both developing the same kit subject.

I am mindful of the way things went wildly off the rails last year when Wingnuts announced their 1/32 Lancasters. Some ridiculous accusations flew about the ether and we cannot - will not- allow the same situation to happen again now.

Wingnut Wings and Copper State Models are both highly regarded and highly respected model kit manufacturers and both deliver quality products to us, and I for one am very grateful for that. Ours is a tiny niche within the modelling hobby and the policy of this Forum is to support all manufacturers who produce models and accessories for us.

A vigorous discussion about the competing models is welcome but please keep it civil.

Wild accusations and speculation about business motivations will not be tolerated and any such posts will be immediately deleted.

Dave Wilson
Forum Owner & Administrator

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:48:53 PM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com