Author Topic: Roden 1/32 SE5a  (Read 7993 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: Roden 1/32 SE5a
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »
Nice seat!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 12:52:35 AM »
Richie,

Quote:  "I'm finding that modifying or making parts myself is the most satisfying thing I've done in modelling."

.......... and therein lies the secret to enjoying this Hobby IMHO, it's all about the "fun" factor. I agree with your statement, there's always something in the Kit that begs improvement or particularly additions, and then it becomes unique and your own version! I think you've found "it"! :)
Enjoy!
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2020, 01:06:32 AM »
Thanks Gazza, been making a few, what I hope are improvements to it today.

Thanks Lance, I always appreciate your wise words. How's the post winter clear up going?.
Yes it's been a real revelation to me, at first I was so disappointed that I couldn't get a WNW kit of this great fighter but I rejoiced when I opened the box of this one and saw what was inside. It's basically a very good kit that is crying out for a few alterations. Picking up cheaply is just the icing on the cake, I actually bought the Roden 'Hisso' kit too. Two around the price of 1 WNW kit, not a bad haul! :)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 02:36:50 AM »
 Richie,   
    Despite the superb quality of the Wingnut Wings Kits there are plenty of really good (and good value for the $) other Kits available. I enjoy the Roden ones, a little extra attention and they build up beautifully. Add the potential of Copper States possible future releases and we'll have lots to chose from.
    Spring clean up has yet to really get underway, I'd better get serious or it'll be winter again! The greatest failing of this area is the short summers, and I'm no great fan of the cold. Have fun with the "SE", it's coming along very nicely.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 02:36:22 AM »
Not much real progress, the weather has been glorious here in London so I've mostly been sitting in the garden with the BBQ on the go and some nice cold beers. I did manage to whittle another prop, no real need to but it's fun to do. This one only took a few hours, I used the cutting machine to make the out of wood veneers, stuck the together and just got to work with a set of files I got recently.

I modified the seat I scratched, hopefully this looks a little more like it should. I have trawled the internet for photos of the real thing without success but had a look at Des's WNW build log and tried to base the seat on that. The weather is due to take a turn for the worse so hopefully I'll have a bit more to show soon.

20200509_140305 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Richie

Offline smperry

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 03:35:05 AM »
You are going to have to edit your profile and change your handle to Richie the Prop Guy.
That is a dandy prop that would make any model look better.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 04:21:57 AM »
LOL, thanks SP. Don't think I'll be changing my profile though, there was another one I nearly completed before realising I'd carved the twist the wrong way round. Whittling under the influence of alcohol is bad in so many ways! :)

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 04:26:10 AM »
Didn't geared engines have props that turned the other way around? Might be useful for a Hisso or Doplhin! :)

Seriously, that looks really good, both the seat and the prop! I'm still meddling along with my Corona-Shelf-of-someday-I'll-get-to-them Corsairs (and a little garden project since our sunscreen broke and could not be repaired...). This really makes me want to pick up another of those stalled projects, the WNW Camel...

Jeroen

Offline RichieW

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 04:44:32 AM »
Thanks Jeroen, I had a look at the Roden 'Hisso' and the prop does turn the other way but the shape seems very different. At least I killed a few lockdown hours in the sunshine.

My WNW Camel got stalled for a few months due to a serious decalling blunder. Definitely pick yours up again, it is fun pottering in the garden though! :)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2020, 07:27:34 AM »
Awesome Prop Richie! Love the seat and head rest also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 11:16:32 AM »
Sweet looking prop!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline FAf

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »
That's a really beautiful prop! Practice makes perfect!
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2020, 03:29:43 AM »
I did manage to whittle another prop, no real need to but it's fun to do.
:) Well done, Sir!
I'm feeling the same! I really like to sit on the balcony and sand a airscrew. So if I start a new build, this is often done in a early phase of the build.
To work with wood is really relaxing for me 8)

A cold beer now would be nice too ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 03:44:00 AM »

I'm finding that modifying or making parts myself is the most satisfying thing I've done in modelling.

Just wait until you have to cut and shape 50 wing ribs and 50 more compression ribs for a scratch build.....!  Actually making your own parts really is most satisfying.

Your new propellor and seat are top notch. Carving wood is, as Frank writes, very satisfying - which is why I am carving struts at the moment.

Stephen.

Dekenba1

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 04:08:16 AM »
Not much real progress, the weather has been glorious here in London so I've mostly been sitting in the garden with the BBQ on the go and some nice cold beers. I did manage to whittle another prop, no real need to but it's fun to do. This one only took a few hours, I used the cutting machine to make the out of wood veneers, stuck the together and just got to work with a set of files I got recently.

I modified the seat I scratched, hopefully this looks a little more like it should. I have trawled the internet for photos of the real thing without success but had a look at Des's WNW build log and tried to base the seat on that. The weather is due to take a turn for the worse so hopefully I'll have a bit more to show soon.

20200509_140305 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

You have quite the talent for carving propellers! It's an incredibly difficult skill to attain and, as far as propellers are concerned, now you'll be set for life.

You can always look at WNW model page for photo's, of both archival and current examples. They typically post a couple of dozen for each kit.

Richie