Author Topic: Roden 1/32 SE5a  (Read 7992 times)

Bughunter

Re: Roden 1/32 SE5a
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:51 AM »
Have you thought about investing in a punch set ?
Terri was faster, this I want to recommend too!
Recently to cut also little pulley with such a set. It can be used for plastic sheet, decals, foils ....

Andreas thank you, that sounds like a much simpler solution. I'm not sure what's available but I'll have a search around.
Look also for sweets! There are some sweets with a glued in clear window into the card box.
If you find something you know it can be glued, you got a foil for free and sweets for your nerves.
Some pasta boxes uses also clear windows, just check the thickness. You got the idea.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 04:30:37 AM »
Well Richie you do not waste time when it comes to building kits! I too would recommend a punch set - I have been meaning to buy one for a long time too but I do know how useful they would be. The two wood props are splendid - less written about the card one the better!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 05:29:39 AM »
Thanks Frank, I sense a sweet, cake, pasta mission is on the cards. If the clear plastic is no use at least I shall have great snacks!

Thanks Stephen, yes I seem to have a lot of projects on the go at the moment. I may even finish some of them! This one is being used a test bed for a few techniques I need to learn before attempting a scratch build.

Agreed on the card prop, it really is horrible. It wasn't even to make. Lose, lose situation!

I have a punch set on order now, should be here next week. Really looking forward to having a play!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »
Nice looking props!  Thisis smoething I need to try myself!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
Thanks Gazza, definitely have a go. I was surprised how easy it was. It is great fun too!

Dekenba1

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »
With WNW SE.5a's now commanding silly money, the Roden kits look very attractive indeed - and you can choose the Hispano or the Viper enginned versions.

I built the Encore version. A bit fiddly, but creates a great kit - for instance, the pulley windows come in resin - 4 tiny little pulleys - and you basically hack a hole in the wing and glue them in.

If you want to go overboard, there is also the PART photo etch set. Never have I seen a set with more numerous parts of such small size!

The props look brilliant, I wish I had the patience to do them.

Looking forward to this build, be fascinating to see more Roden kits being made. As they are so much cheaper than WNW, I think some people may actually enjoy them more than the WNW kits. They take a bit more effort, but knowing you can replace it for around £25 can make for a relaxing build, whereas if you mess the WNW SE.5a up, it's damned expensive to get another.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »
Thanks Dekenba, please don't expect too much from me though! I haven't completed a model since last year. :)

Agreed about the relatively stress free experience, I feel liberated knowing that if make a proper mess of this one it won't be an expensive mistake. I'm certainly having fun trying new things that I wouldn't dare do on WNW kit. Overall the Roden kit seems pretty good although the decals are badly out of register. I was going to mask the roundels anyway so it's not an issue. Will try to get a bit done today and post an update.

Richie

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »
Richie,

Here is the notch I made to allow the lower wing to fit better. Note I have only done this to one side so far.

Ryan

SE5a by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 10:52:48 PM »
I have this kit in the stash, so I will be following along closely as you guide us around the pitfalls!  Looking good so far.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 11:58:43 PM »
Thanks Ryan, appreciate that. Doesn't look like I'm getting much bench time today though. On the plus side my punch set arrived already, will get to play with it tomorrow.

Hi Bob, be careful I don't guide you into those pitfalls. I've never completed a biplane before so I hope it's not a case of the blind leading the blind. Thankfully there are some truly superb and inspirational modellers who often drop by my builds to offer wise advice!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 02:01:41 AM »
Not had a lot of time today but I made a new seat using the kit part as template. I shaped some plastic card to the right angle by clamping it to the kit seat and plunging it into boiling water followed by iced water. I then stuck on some light, fine grained wood veneer and filed it to shape. Amazingly enough it fits!

20200506_164028 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I made a cushion and head rest from milliput yesterday and painted them with Vallejo model colour acrylics followed by a quick wipe with Burnt Sienna oil paint. They are just held with blue tack here.

20200506_163840 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20200506_163742 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Perhaps not the most refined but I really am enjoying experimenting with new things.
I'd never used plastic card or miiliput before and the only things I'd ever scratchbuilt before were the props in this thread and a Sutton harness from Tamiya tape. All the techniques and inspiration to do this came from this forum and Des's amazing website.

Thanks for reading, all criticisms, tips and words of wisdom gratefully received.
Be happy people
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 03:36:08 AM »
Excellent work Richie. You don't know how much it lifts Me Up to see Your enthusiasm! I am really enjoying all of your builds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 03:55:03 AM »
Thanks Rick, I really appreciate that. All the advice and amazing builds on this brilliant forum have given me such a huge boost, it's great to be able to put something back. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of making models round the dining room table with my Dad and my brothers. That little boy enthusiasm seems to be back in force since joining this forum. :)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 06:18:30 AM »
That seat looks very good, especially the cushions which for a first effort are to be very highly commended. Working with plastic card is not difficult and you will soon learn a few simple tricks which make it easy. I do like the idea of using wood veneer on the plastic - never thought of that!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 06:37:14 AM »
Thanks Stephen, without you gently nudging me towards scratch building I wouldn't be doing any of this.

I have since found that the kit parts are even further from what an SE5e seat looked like than I realised so have been doing a few refinements. I'm finding that modifying or making parts myself is the most satisfying thing I've done in modelling. I can well understand why you scratch build everything now.