Author Topic: Port Victoria P.V.7 'Grain Kitten' - 1:32 scale  (Read 6762 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Port Victoria P.V.7 'Grain Kitten' - 1:32 scale
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 05:18:04 AM »
First, Really well done work on the seat and the rest of the interior. It looks Typically British! I am also amazed at just How Small this thing was. Looks like a 1/2 scale RC aircraft with a live Pilot  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 05:31:18 AM »
Oh my, that cocpit detail is just stunning.

Stephen.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »
Hi all,
Now the Macchi M.5 model is finished I'm going back to continue working on the Port Victoria PV.7 'Grain Kitten'.
It'll be a totally different mindset as the Macchi was one of the largest models I've built to date and the 'Kitten' will probably be the smallest model I'll ever build in this scale.
It's another resin model and will doubtless have the usual challenges of a 'limited run' kit.
The main areas that take the time are usually the cockpit and engine.
However, as I've already finished the cockpit and there is no visible engine to speak of, the build shouldn't take that long to complete - we'll see,

Mike   

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »
Hi all,
The four wing support struts supplied in the kit do not have internal support rods, as the upper wing, although solid resin, is small and therefore light weight.
Normally I would use the kit supplied struts. However one of the struts was missing the locating pin at one end.
Possibly it could have been drilled and pinned, but I decided to replace all four struts with micro-tube and internal support rods.
As before, I used the 'Strutter' tool to create aerofoil sections from 1.2 mm diameter micro-tube with internal 0.5 mm rod supports.
The rods were soft soldered in the aerofoils sections,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2020, 07:17:38 AM »
Hi all,
The four wings struts have been test fitted.
Now it's on to making the four fuselage to upper wing cabane struts,

Mike

Online RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
Your usual awesome  work on the struts Mike!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 07:46:50 AM »
Brilliant work on the struts, can I ask how you measure the strut length so precisely? I'm planning a scratch built BE2c but am a little overwhelmed by the technicalities.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2020, 07:24:54 PM »
Hi Richie,
It's not too difficult to create struts if you have the tools and the model has struts that can be used as a size and shape guide.
Of course if you're making a scratch built model you'd need good scale drawings and reference material to work from.
The scale of the model you intend to build will have a bearing on whether it's possible of course - I work in 1:32nd scale so it's not too much of an issue, but smaller scales, especially 1:72nd could prove difficult.

The 'Strutter' tool I use is basically a pair of smooth faced vice jaws that are aligned with metal dowels. As you close the vice the jaws will tip around the tube and form an oval aerofoil type shape.
Basically I cut the required tube to just longer than the length required (using the kit item as a guide) then slide it onto a solid but smaller diameter rod.
That rod is suspended across the two metal dowels in the 'Strutter', which once closed forms the aerofoil section.
That section is the filed to the required length and the ends shaped as necessary.
After that the support rod, which is longer than the aerofoil, is inserted and soft soldered at both ends.
Then it a just a matter of cleaning off any residual solder.
The protruding rods can then be filed down to locate fully into the pre-drilled location holes in the model and if necessary, bent to the correct angle to get the strut to position correctly.

The thing most needed for your scratch build would be good reference drawings so you can use them as a size and shape guide. Upscale the drawings to the size of the model you intend to build and go from there.
There are PDF build logs on my site that detail how I created struts for various models:
Fokker D.VIII (EV), skeletal Fokker D.VII, Sopwith 'Swallow, Macchi M.5 and SPAD XIII,

Mike

Offline RichieW

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2020, 09:13:45 PM »
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I've been wondering how you manage such amazing precision! I will have a look at your PDF files, the Tripe build log has been so useful to me.

Many thanks
Richie

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2020, 03:59:15 AM »
Hi all,
The four fuselage to upper wing cabane struts have now been created, using the same method as for the four inter plane struts.
Being resin and small, the upper wing tends to flex slightly in the centre section, which is why it is slightly clear of the cabane struts.
When finally fitted it will seat fully onto the struts,

Mike

Online RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2020, 06:01:59 AM »
Excellent strut work Mike! You are moving right along!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2020, 04:41:44 PM »
Cool stuff. I always found creating brass struts that fit in length one of the most demanding tasks building biplanes. and you obviously did the job perfectly.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2020, 09:13:17 PM »
Brilliant, that's brought a smile to my face. I love following your builds, were you an engineer in a previous life? Your work is always so precise and beautifully thought out!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2020, 10:29:48 PM »
Hi Richie,
I was a toolmaker/instrument maker before I joined the RAF, so yeah, sort of,

Mike

Offline RichieW

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2020, 10:35:42 PM »
I thought you must have been! :)