Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII (OAW) Wilhelm Leusch  (Read 3160 times)

Offline mgunns

Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII (OAW) Wilhelm Leusch
« on: October 23, 2020, 02:13:54 AM »
I haven't posted a build log here in some time and not sure if this qualifies as a build log but here goes:

I had originally built this model back in 2013 when I lived in Wisconsin and probably posted it here.   But here it is below in case I hadn't.  In December of 2013 I had (mistakenly) allowed UPS to box it up and send it to my father in Pleasanton CA.  It arrived trashed:  Haply I had it insured for $300.00 and after some debate with UPS I was paid the damages, So I bought another one and started in on it; but we decided to move to Arizona in 2016 and I had to pack it for the move.

I started on the interior per the WNW Instructions:

I also had the fuselage halves assembled but not painted.  I decided to take it off the shelf and finish it up in Willhelm Leusch's scheme with the Dragon as it appears on the box art.  I started by painting the fuselage gloss white and then applying the WNW Four Color Lozenge decals, cut to accommodate the scheme.

Once the decals had set I gave the fuselage a thin coat of Tamiya XF-8 as recommended by the instructions and once dry and given a coat of Future/Pledge, I applied the Balkankreuz decals.

Once those had set I gave it another coat of blue and appiied the dragon motif: 

I like my models with the engine compartment buttoned up as it gives the model a complete look, so I wasn't about to spend any time on the engine.

I then spent time on the wings and more painted parts.  For the wings I used Aviatic Five Color Lozenge with the Pink Tapes.  Apparently OAW built D.VII's used either blue or pink.  On the first one I used Blue, so I liked the contrast better between blue and pink and went with Pink.  The images of the aircraft provided in the instructions, naturally, don't show the color, but the rib tapes are a light color, so I went with Pink. 

So moving on:  I trashed the PE Gun Cooling jackets as I failed to anneal the PE Brass prior to cutting out.  So I went with the fully molded guns, painted the forward part of the fuselage Yellow, it's a Testors Model Master Yellow but don't remember the exact color but it matches the box art closely, installed the interior, the turtle deck and the ammo ejection chutes.  Now here is where it gets a dicey and anyone who has built one of these knows what I am talking about.  I failed to trim the little "tabs" on the framework , which I should have done, as it pushes the fuselage out a bit and fitment of the turtle deck is a bit off.  I got it to fit, but not as good and tight had I trimmed the tabs off.

I finally got it up on it's "legs" and rigged, using Bob's Buckles and Gas Patch Turnbuckles I also rigged the tail.

At this point it was time to get the upper wing on and final assembly.  I test fitted all the struts for alignment and all looked good, I left the rearmost cabane struts off until the wing was on to slide them in to position once the wing was set; so I took the wing off and using CA Glue applied a dab to each hole.  Shouldn't have done that!  MODELER BEWARE!  The first cabane strut fought a bit to go in, but the rest didn't want to go as the stuff had set up.  So, I managed to take the wing off without doing any damage, attempted to dig out the CA glue, trimmed struts as necessary and did it again.  After several fittings I finally got the wing on.  Won't do that again! 
For the aileron control rigging coming out of the cockpit I used guitar string, it's a tad big but not a big deal to me, beats rigging it as I had done in the past.   The prop is a Proper Plane prop. 
So there you have it.  I am pleased with it, enjoy the photo's and don't mind the lint.  Pesky stuff is everywhere.

Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 03:11:54 AM by mgunns »
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

Re: Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII (OAW) Wilhelm Leusch
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 05:18:50 AM »
That looks wonderful Mark!  Thanks for the interesting history of your experience with this model, too.  Always fascinating to build the same aircraft years later.  I really like your base, also.  What materials did you use?  Where are you located in Arizona?  I have spent some time in the Tucson and Sierra Vista areas.  Beautiful spot! 

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 07:49:33 AM »
Beautiful results Mark on one of My Favorite Fokker DVII schemes! Although you didn't plan things that way I am surprised at how good the plastic Molded MG's look. If you had not mentioned it I might not have noticed  8) well done all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
That looks wonderful Mark!  Thanks for the interesting history of your experience with this model, too.  Always fascinating to build the same aircraft years later.  I really like your base, also.  What materials did you use?  Where are you located in Arizona?  I have spent some time in the Tucson and Sierra Vista areas.  Beautiful spot! 

Best regards,

Bob

Hi Bob and thanks for looking and your nice comments.  I got the base at the IPMS NATS in Phoenix in 2018 from the Zoukai Marou booth.  It was as you see it, ready to go.  I should have gotten a few more, but they weren't cheap.  I am living in the San Tan Valley about an hour and 40 nort and East of Tucson.  The Superstitions are about 5 degrees (Grid North) and 20 miles off my back yard.  My buddy and I used to go down there for the Swap Meets at the Police Union Hall about four times a year.  Last February I went with another buddy to the Pima Air and Space museum.  That was neat!! 
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 09:29:52 AM »
Beautiful results Mark on one of My Favorite Fokker DVII schemes! Although you didn't plan things that way I am surprised at how good the plastic Molded MG's look. If you had not mentioned it I might not have noticed  8) well done all around!
RAGIII

Thanks for looking in Rick and I appreciate your comments.  Drat, I shouldn't have mentioned those machine guns.  I am glad to finallly get it finished, a long time coming.  Next up is the Hobby Craft DR.I I got from you.  I will be posting some photo's of it in a build log, so be sure to stay tuned and watch for it.  ;)
Mark

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »
Beautiful model, the Leusch dragon scheme is one of the most attractive and you gave it a great finishing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »
Hi Mark.
Another fine build to add to your collection.
She looks soooo pretty  8)

Well done!

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 01:21:59 AM »
Again Mark - fantastic work and a great model as a result. And thanks for taking the time to put up the in-progress photos and descriptions of your steps to complete the model. I quite enjoyed the read!
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 04:13:21 AM »
Nicely done!
During the Memorial Group Build for Des I have done the same scheme but only in smaller scale.
Very interesting that you have done the same on the fuselage: kit lozenge decals under the blue paint and Aviatic on the wings :)

Thanks for showing.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 05:49:47 AM »
Nice model, and I do like the color scheme and shade of yellow you used.  8)

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 06:30:51 AM »
Thanks Giuseppe, Bob and Gary for looking in and leaving your nice compliments, all duly appreciated. 
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »
Thank you Kensar for looking in and scoping it out, I appreciate your comments.  The yellow is Testors Model Master Deep Yellow, #2118.
Mark

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 11:16:26 PM »
Hi Mark ,

Sorry for not replying to your blog sooner , it's been a weird few days .

I really like the sutle weathering and your choice for the yellow , in all a really nice clean build ...it's eye candy !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 05:53:32 AM »
Thanks Terri for scoping and your comments, much appreciated.  I like the idea of less is more.  I can appreciate and like models that are well weathered, but I know my limitations so keep it simple.
Mark

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 06:01:03 AM »
My that is a stunner. The colour scheme is very striking and the finish is just superb. I like the wear on the engine panels - just right! The base is also excellent - different from the more common grass but very effective. A super model in every way.

Stephen.