Author Topic: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"  (Read 30974 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
I'm in the same boat, Lance, as you know. Work continues on my Biff, albeit at a slower rate for reasons enumerated elsewhere. I'm currently finishing up my interplane struts prior to fitting the upper wing (which, of course, will have it's own rigging challenges). Perhaps you and I can pace each other as we continue our respective builds!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
I know that whenever you get her finished, she'll have been well worth the wait. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2013, 12:08:53 AM »
   Another lame delay notice on this Build, I'm about to depart on a two week vacation. Looking forward to the change however nearly as much to hopefully getting some time for this project when I get back.
   I intend to see all I can of Northern Scotland and might even sample some of the local beverages, all in moderation of course!
   Keep well Folks and I'll check in on return. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
Lance,
 You will love the Highland. For me, one of the best places on this spinning ball of iron and rock.
Have a great time.

VB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »
Have a great trip, Lance.  I'm envious.  My bride and I are going to Telford then on to Ireland next year.  Hopefully, we'll be able to squeeze in a bit of Scotland, as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2013, 01:35:49 AM »
Lance,
 You will love the Highland. For me, one of the best places on this spinning ball of iron and rock.
Have a great time.

VB  ;)
Have a great trip, Lance.  I'm envious.  My bride and I are going to Telford then on to Ireland next year.  Hopefully, we'll be able to squeeze in a bit of Scotland, as well.
Cheers,
Bud

Von Hilandfan,
  Just got back, you are so right. Magnificent scenary, wonderful people, excellent history and incredibly great beverages! Spent half the holiday in the Northern Highlands, 2 days on Skye, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    Bud,
   Recommended without reservations. Only downside is the driving, wrong side of the road on very narrow twisting roads with lots of sheer drops (talking sure death here!). The overall experience more then compensates however. Telford etc. is on my "Bucket List", can't make it this year so you never know, may see you there next year!
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2013, 02:16:42 AM »
Ah, so glad that you survived your encounters with drivers, roads and single malt! Welcome back!  ;D

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
   So, it's time to restart this Thread/Build Log. I'm finally back at the Model Desk after a very "hit and Miss" several months. Having hung up my work gloves for good some 10 days back I'm ready for some serious modelling, fun, and finding out what this "Retirement Thing" is all about!
   This is the forth or fifth time I've retired and this time I mean it. Below is the emblem I scraped off my Truck, the end of 10 years of Oilfield liaison, security, and safety activity. Great memory, and proud to have had the opportunity for a rewarding second (or was it third??) career.

Over the past four months, since withdrawing from the Group Build, I've done a little here and there concentrating mainly on a "modular" approach. The engine was completed, the Scharf Ring/Lewis Assembly is half done, the wings have been pre-rigged, and the landing gear is 95% complete.
   First step of final assembly was mounting the bottom wing and landing gear which I completed a few days back. Despite using a template to ensure alignment of the connecting spars this turned out to be a real challenge; as I told a couple of fellow Members earlier It proved to be the worst case of "I wish I had two more hands and eleven more fingers" I've ever experienced in 50+ years of working plastic! In the end the wonders (and strength) of CA and holding my tongue just right triumphed over the urge to convert her to a flying scale version!

Also added at this point were the lines from the fuselage that pass through the port lower wing and to the Pitot Assembly and also the copper line from the wind driven fuel pump to the fuel system. The digital macro camera again picks up bare areas, dust, and "junk" that I can't see without visual aids, just plain humbling and ugly!

Once happy with the lower wing attachment the engine module was attached to allow installation of the front cabanes. At this point, with Thanks to Mr. John Adams, the trusty AeroClub BiPlane Assembly Jig was set up in preparation for both the Cabane mounting / alignment and eventual installation of the upper wing.

Next, the rest of the Jig preparation, some minor additions and touch ups, and then the dreaded upper wing mounting exercise! Hopefully back with another update in a day or two, rather then a month or two as in the recent past. :-[
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:09:06 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
Lance, it's great that you are back at the build, my friend!  That's a strange looking gizmo...looks
like a meccano-set meltdown ;).  I can see where it would really be helpful with the upper
wing placement.  Your attention to detail on the Bristol is great, and will be a superb model
as you progress with it.  I'll be avidly following the build, hopefully learning from your
talents.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
Hey, Lance,

I've got one of those giszmos. Gve it a good tryout and let me know how to use it properly!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
Really glad to see you back on this one, Lance.  Your gonna love retirement, buddy.  I sure do, although mine is of the semi variety.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
Great to see you back on track with this brilliant build Lance, I'm looking forward to seeing you take great strides with this one now that you are retired  ;)

Des.

PS. Since being retired I have never been so busy.....no time to scratch myself..
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
Great to see you back on track with this brilliant build Lance, I'm looking forward to seeing you take great strides with this one now that you are retired  ;)

Des.

PS. Since being retired I have never been so busy.....no time to scratch myself..
'Course you don't.  You've been too busy scratching Spinnes, Cauldrons, Taubes, Voisins and the like!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
Very good work on the Biff Lance.

I wish I was retired and I could spend more time building the WW1 collection.

Also have the Biff but have not begun it yet, so I am watching your build with great interest.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Dave

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Great to see your work again Lance. Looking forward to seeing what's in store for us.

Lindsay