Author Topic: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale  (Read 10408 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2022, 01:18:20 AM »
The middle wing looks exceptional Dan.  I am Loving your DR1 more with each update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2022, 04:17:35 AM »
Nice work Dan, she's really coming together now!

lovely painting with very effective Fokker streaks. Scaling the brush was brilliant.
Exactly the kind of thinking I admire!
Zac in NZ

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
Looking very cool Dan!  I am lookimg forward to the top wing and the full repaint.  Thanks for showing the way to do this!

Best,

Bob

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2022, 03:40:18 PM »
Hello All,

Thanks for the comments.  I'm just having fun!  I'm glad folks are enjoying the ride. ;D

I started the bottom wings.  Even though there are two bits of piano wire to position the bottom wing, I think I'll just use the leading edge member.  That will make it easier to get it installed and I'll have some wiggle room too.  I'll work on the other side tomorrow and start seeing if the I-struts line up too.  So far, everything is square and true and the bottom wing looks nice and flat like it's supposed to.  I tend to get my triplane lower wings to droop far too often.

Getting exciting now!

Dan

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2022, 02:09:35 PM »
A bit more, Folks...the top wing and ailerons.  Went together well and flat.  I'll make the I-struts next to make sure all will fit ok and then I'll paint and add markings.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2022, 03:18:11 AM »
The upper wing looks fantastic Dan.  I am looking forward to the new paint and markings!
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2022, 04:13:09 AM »
Nice work Dan, the wing looks like it was a fairly straightforward build. Bravo!
Zac in NZ

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2022, 04:34:25 PM »
Thanks Rick and Zac.  Yes...the wings went together quite well if I do say so myself.  8)

I got a bit more done today.  Painted and streaked the wings, made the I-struts and got the markings on.  Sadly, I need to redo the top markings as, in person, you can see some white spray/mist into the cross edges in a few places.  I guess my tape cross masks must not have been as tight on the surface as I thought.    Can't be touched up so it'll need to be redone.  :-\  But...the general idea looks great and is sound.

More soon...Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2022, 04:07:36 AM »
The streaking and crosses look perfect, bravo 93L!!
Zac in NZ

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2022, 02:19:20 PM »
Thanks so much, Zac!

Here is the state of play as of Sunday night.  I fixed the wing crosses so they are not foggy anymore, added some red chevrons on the wing tip leading edges for some variety and painted my ID on the plane so others in the squadron can see who is running away!  The Smith coat of arms is the jelly fish with a vertical yellow stripe and the saying: Retreat!  Always Surrender.

Next will be some tail cables, tail struts and skid.  Then, I'll start putting the wings on starting with the bottom wing first.

Thanks for looking...and have a great week.
Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2022, 11:08:53 PM »
Good morning Dan,
Another productive weekend under your belt. Looking great!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2022, 03:18:42 AM »
Gorgeous work Dan, I love the refinements (to be fair I didn't notice the fogginess in the original photos).

added some red chevrons on the wing tip leading edges for some variety and painted my ID on the plane so others in the squadron can see who is running away!  The Smith coat of arms is the jelly fish with a vertical yellow stripe and the saying: Retreat!  Always Surrender.
;D Fantastic!!
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2022, 05:43:58 AM »
I am continuing to be impressed with the streaking and I Love the "Personal" markings.
RAGIII

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2022, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks, Guys.  This one is really fun.  It's also daunting too since there is so much documentation and the machine is a favorite of so many folks.  Gotta do it justice in paper!

I did lots of little things like put on the control cables for the rudder and elevators and touched up the leading edges of the wings since the color demarcation appears to be rather sharp and not how I had left it. I painted the turquoise edging that wraps up the lower fuselage longeron as well.  I also added the datum line with a ruler and thin Sharpie marker. I also got the bottom wing on and added the lower I-struts. Finally, I put on the top midwing covering. Next, I'll add the tail struts and start re-engineering the MG mounts. They are very simplified and just don't look right. The ammo chutes are in the wrong place and some more tubing needs to be added in the cockpit.  So...a bit of head scratching will be in order.

More soon!
Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2022, 03:41:31 PM »
Another great update, Dan. I look forward to seeing
how you work through the modifications you need.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!