Author Topic: 'Harry Tate', WNW 1/32  (Read 228 times)

Offline FAf

'Harry Tate', WNW 1/32
« on: May 12, 2024, 01:18:11 AM »
Not really a new build, but rather a re-start of an old one. So far I've mostly done little bits here and there, but I have now come to the conclusion that it's difficult to now exactly how to scratchbuild some parts until you've reached the stage where you need them...

This is what was in the box from before...

And one thing I wasn't happy with was the fuel tank. In the process of filling and sanding the joint between the two halves, I also obliterated a lot of rivet detail and that would be quite visible later... so about a year ago I drilled holes and inserted thin pieces of stretched sprue which then was heated with a flame. End result then was this...

Not being happy with the slightly too large and much to flat new rivets, I took them all off and inserted lenghts of fishing line instead. Each strand of fishing line had been melted with a flame and this produced smaller and definitely rounder 'rivets'. They were then glued in place and the tank painted brass.

Beginning of construction

Internal rigging done with fishing line and short lengths of blackened Albion Alloy brass tubing. The small leather patches that protect the wires from chafing against eachother were cut from the same kind of vinyl that I use for making my masks, then painted leather brown and superglued in place.

The cockpit structure more or less complete...

The engine is up next and one thing I would like to refine are the 'shields' around the cylinders. The kit part is a bit on the thick and clumsy side.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline DaddyO

Re: 'Harry Tate', WNW 1/32
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 03:28:42 AM »
Wow Fredrik I tuned in expecting a box/sprue shot and was greeted by brilliant photos of how to make rivets  8)

Love a Harry Tate and will be watching with interest (I quite fancy a Belgian Hispano powered one just to be different, but I'll need to get a plan and further details first)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 04:04:29 AM »
I was the same as Paul: I expected to see an unbuilt kit and instead I see the makings of a superb model. The lengths that some rivet counters go to....!!

Stephen.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 05:03:44 AM »
Very nice work on that fuel tank, Fredrik - I admire you for returning to the model. Yes - those engine shield parts need thinning out. I remember doing a lot of work on those parts when I built mine a while ago. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 05:18:13 AM »
I can only echo others - the level of detailling is excellent! I will be following with great interest.

Cheers.

Ondra

Online William Adair

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 10:01:10 AM »
Lovely work! I especially like the timber colour you achieved too.  :D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 12:35:41 PM »
That fuel tank riveting is INSANE....but stunning  ::)   Absolutely Gorgeous work on all of the Interior!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NigelR

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 06:40:47 PM »
Stop it, stop it. I now have the thought buried in my mind that I have to redo all t he fuel tank rivets when I build my WNW RE8... :-\

This is looking very nice indeed.

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 11:59:58 PM »
Brilliant work! Very inspiring.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 03:28:58 PM »
Taurus Models do nice rivets from 0.25 -0.9mm (for future reference and rivet counters :) :))  )
Cheers
Andrew

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 08:10:22 PM »
Thanks for all the comments!

Well, if some of you got a slightly different experience than expected, so did I... I didn't expect my rather simple rivet fix to be that riveting!😁 It's really nothing more than a series of drilled holes and lengths of fishing line of a suitable diameter held close to an open flame to create a 'blob' at one end. So while Taurus rivets might be better in many ways, I think this is quite good enough in many cases. And Nigel, you don't have to redo all of the rivets!

Very nice work on that fuel tank, Fredrik - I admire you for returning to the model. Yes - those engine shield parts need thinning out. I remember doing a lot of work on those parts when I built mine a while ago. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Cheers,
Gary

Well, Gary, it's actually my third, or so, start on this one, but this is the first time I feel happy about the build.

When it comes to the shields I'm looking at manufacturing them from thin aluminium sheet, rather than thinning down the kit parts. It's already in progress and it's promising, but I haven't got any pictures to show you yet.

/Fredrik

Offline macsporran

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 08:37:07 PM »
Lovely crisp detail work, Fredrik - and great attention to detail.
Haven't seen one of these for a while, looking forward to your magic at work!
Sandy