Author Topic: Halberstadt CL.II, Mirage 1/48; 20.3.2021 Parabellum - THE END  (Read 30183 times)

Bughunter

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 13.3.2021 Spinner
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2021, 10:24:23 PM »
Thank you Guy and Ferry!

Ps I’m going to hide behind the sofa now while Alexis comments on your shoes post  :o
Is there enough space? May be I should join!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2021, 11:37:21 PM »
Nice solution for fitting the cowl Frank as well as turning a new spinner .  :) Like the way how you did the front Cab struts , will be much stronger then the plastic parts .

It is true , We do love our shoes !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2021, 12:26:01 AM »
Your usual Wizardry on the struts and especially the spinner ! You are in a league of your own Frank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 14.3.2021 Fuselage details
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2021, 07:18:23 AM »
Thank you Alexis and Rick!

It is true , We do love our shoes !
Guy, we no longer need to hide behind the sofa and can crawl forward again!

Fuselage details

After red painting I could add the remaining details to the fuselage.

The kit contains a blast protector a PE, but it is much to big and do not fit. Here tinned.

After modification I blacked it the chemical way and mounted it. For the hole in the cowling I created a maintenance cover. I forgot to mention: the hole on the other side was closed prior painting with some polystyrene.

The camera hole on lower surface is closed now. I forgot to paint the lid.

Two little PE parts form the step to enter the cockpit.

The exhaust was painted with Alclad Steel, Gunze H453 Rust Red and Alclad Exhaust Manifold. In real it looks much more metallic!

The exhaust was mounted.

On the tail I added my wooden skid. On top of that is a travel limiter, provided by the kit as PE. I added a little "rubber bumper".

A little instrument ...

... was added in front of the pilot. The leather strip was repainted. Oh yes, I need to clean some filing!

The gunners ring is also mounted. It was hard to get in place in the right position. The front strut was a closed triangle, but then the ring is too high. It needs to be shortened very much on top, then it fits (two independent struts). This is also correct for early CL.II, the later ones uses a X-strut.

And the final impression of the actual state. The fuselage is finished so far, but some paint fixes of the grey green are needed.
Regarding the red: I painted the metal parts with aluminum before, so now it is darker on the metal parts than on the "wood" parts.

This is a huge step forward! The number of remaining parts is going down dramatically.

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 14.3.2021 Fuselage details
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2021, 07:37:15 AM »
Excellent work on the gun ring! I like the different look of the metal panels vs the fabric portions of the red! You are making Me wish I had purchased a WNW kit..too late now  :(
RAGIII

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2021, 08:47:57 AM »
That gun ring certainly crowds the pilot!...  But I guess the Pilot and Observer wont have any trouble hearing each other.

Excellent job Frank!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2021, 10:45:17 PM »
Those smaller details are really bring this one to life ! Perfekt Frank  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Radarman

« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2021, 01:19:36 AM »
Frank,
That's "Craftsmanship" at it's finest.

Amazing work,
                                                             Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2021, 04:29:11 AM »
Every time I look in at your threads Franks I get jaw ache - where it keeps hitting the desk. I have put a cushion on the desk but it does not make any difference - your work is just stunning.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:50:50 AM by lone modeller »

Bughunter

« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2021, 08:19:25 AM »
Thank you Rick, Hugh, Alexis, Kevin and Stephen! Your comments are highly appreciated.

You are making Me wish I had purchased a WNW kit..too late now  :(
Oh yes, the nice WNW kit ... The Cl.II done by Borsos in the Group build invites me to do my kit.
May be you have luck one day and find somewhere on a exhibition or another shop.
So if any of the readers her have a WNW Halberstadt in stash and wnat to get rid of it - please send it to RAGIII :-*

That gun ring certainly crowds the pilot!...  But I guess the Pilot and Observer wont have any trouble hearing each other.
That was by design. It was a goal to have them close together for effective communication.
The front struts of the ring are sitting on the back plate of the pilots seat upholstery.

Those smaller details are really bring this one to life !
I really like the moment, if all prepared parts and details are coming together :)

That's "Craftsmanship" at it's finest.
Nice words Kevin, but here and there are small unclean points. I tried to build careful and correct things in between.
On the other hand I can try to do it better with the next model, or I can say "This was done quickly in the field." ;)

Stephen, your comments always makes me smile :D I don't want to hurt anyone, so a cushion is a good idea. Maybe horny skin will form as well ;D ;D

Now tailplane and lower wings are on. Every day a little step make me happy in these pandemic times.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2021, 01:46:38 AM »
Hey Frank - truly exceptional work indeed. I'm just amazed that this thing is so small. Great magnification on your photos :-)!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline FAf

« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2021, 03:22:17 AM »
Frankly a magnificent build and paint job, Frank!
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2021, 06:19:33 AM »
Thank you Gary and Fredrik!

I'm just amazed that this thing is so small. Great magnification on your photos :-)!
It is small, but as two seater it is a bigger one compared to most of my aircraft in the cabinet. The nice magnification is due to use of a macro lens.

I'm just preparing the next update - already enough pictures for the next batch ... Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 16.3.2021 Mounting
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2021, 06:37:03 AM »
Mounting

I continued with the tail plane. After adding the rudder horns I noticed, that the middle part needs some support. The original shows some metal bands, so I added two metal stripes in cuts in fuselage and control surface.

After adding the lower wings I adjusted the strut length on top of fuselage by help of the kit tools to hold the upper wing in place.

The struts are glued in place.

I added the fuel pipes to the header tank, bend the wind screen and glue it it place.

I added the prepared parts to the middle wing, the leather is painted. Also some Gaspatch Anchor points for the rigging are in place now.

Middle wing is mounted.

As I struggled to get the fuselage painted, I was already preparing the rigging - very handy for quick progress!

So I started the rigging, with Gaspatch turnbuckles of type "Albatros".

The lower half of the rigging is done.

I glued the prepared metal undercarriage in place.

That is also rigged.

That is the actual state, only the wheels are not fixed.

I really like this bird!

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 16.3.2021 Mounting
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2021, 06:46:02 AM »
What can I say but Your usual Amazing work and details Frank? Simply brilliant!!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:00:49 PM by RAGIII »