Author Topic: Roden SPAD XIII "Speculative" 19 Squadron  (Read 3317 times)

Offline FAf

Re: Roden SPAD XIII "Speculative" 19 Squadron
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 07:23:03 AM »
Being PC is sometimes regarded as something negative (a notion I strongly disagree with, but I won't go into that here), but being PC10 can surely never be something negative?! 😃

It looks great! Well done!
/Fredrik

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
Gorgeous SPAD!

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 04:20:43 AM »
Spectacular result, Amigo!  Something about the SPAD's rigging intimidates me, but seeing this, well...I'm just gonna have to get over it.
Cheers,
Bud

Gotta agree with our Amigo here, Nice job Rick !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
Great job Rick, a fine finish to a build I thoroughly enjoyed following. I'll be doing the in-box RFC scheme on mine and will no doubt be looking to your build thread for guidance.
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 12:31:08 AM »
Another lovely Spad and a fine addition to your display cabinet! The RAG III modelling machine is rolling along very smoothly. :)

Richie

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2021, 04:05:36 AM »
Just catching up here Rick - a very interesting build and very unique. Well done as always!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »
Being PC is sometimes regarded as something negative (a notion I strongly disagree with, but I won't go into that here), but being PC10 can surely never be something negative?! 😃

It looks great! Well done!
/Fredrik

Thanks Fredrik! Yes PC 10 correct  8)
RAGIII

Spectacular result, Amigo!  Something about the SPAD's rigging intimidates me, but seeing this, well...I'm just gonna have to get over it.
Cheers,
Bud

Gotta agree with our Amigo here, Nice job Rick !

Ed

Thanks Amigo! Looking forward to seeing you get some Modeling done in the New Year!
RAGIII

Great job Rick, a fine finish to a build I thoroughly enjoyed following. I'll be doing the in-box RFC scheme on mine and will no doubt be looking to your build thread for guidance.

Thanks Zac! If you have any questions about the RFC birds feel free to PM Me. There are a couple of things needed to be accurate for the OOB build!
RAGIII

Another lovely Spad and a fine addition to your display cabinet! The RAG III modelling machine is rolling along very smoothly. :)

Richie

Thanks Richie! You are one of those who keep Me going  8)
RAGIII

Just catching up here Rick - a very interesting build and very unique. Well done as always!
Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary. Unique but only the squadron markings are not Historically verifiable  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 07:53:51 PM »
As I wrote earlier in the build thread, a real inspiration for when I get to mine, together with Ken's!

Thanks Zac! If you have any questions about the RFC birds feel free to PM Me. There are a couple of things needed to be accurate for the OOB build!

I'd love a tweak-list of sorts, though I'm not sure if I'll do the RFC version when I get to it. I'm tempted by an Italian one, too!
That's also the great thing about SPADs -so many to choose from, especially with a 'late' added to the catalog later on :)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 08:50:40 AM »
I'd love a tweak-list of sorts, though I'm not sure if I'll do the RFC version when I get to it.
[/quote]
That would be fantastic - I'd like to get it right but will only go "so far" when it comes to extra detailing.
Zac in NZ

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »
Rick,

I love the finish on it.  It’s got just the right sheen, IMO.  Very lovely build and it seems it went quite quickly. Congratulations on another fine model.

Stuart

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 01:01:33 AM »
As I wrote earlier in the build thread, a real inspiration for when I get to mine, together with Ken's!

I'd love a tweak-list of sorts, though I'm not sure if I'll do the RFC version when I get to it. I'm tempted by an Italian one, too!
That's also the great thing about SPADs -so many to choose from, especially with a 'late' added to the catalog later on :)

I'd love a tweak-list of sorts, though I'm not sure if I'll do the RFC version when I get to it.
That would be fantastic - I'd like to get it right but will only go "so far" when it comes to extra detailing.
[/quote]

Jeroen and Zac,
First thanks for your comments! I will give a short list here. If there  are other changes I am not aware of them  8)
1. Sand off the photo panel on the left fuselage side ( All early 13s' )
2. Lacing on the left fuselage side. ( A slightly different style than used on the SPAD VII) Surprisingly some of the best photos I have seen of the left side of British SPADs are of the one shot down and Captured by von Tutschek!
3. A small rectangular panel added to the left side below the cockpit near the wing root. This has a half circle cut out and is most likely an added footstep. ( I didn't add this to B3479 as it was the first of the SPAD XIIIs' and I wasn't sure it was added while with 19 squadron.
4. This one is optional
: All of the British SPADs were Kelner built ( with the possible exception of B 3479). I believe the seat back should be higher on Kelner built SPADs ( Revelle got the shape right on their OLD 1/28th scale kit although the padding is suspect)  No one will notice anyway so like I said, Optional!
If their are other changes I am not aware of them. One wonders if they retained the French instruments and seatbelts or replaced them but No way that I know of to tell  ::) I hope this helps!
RAGIII

PS: The double wires on the SPAD captured by von Tutschek do not have wood filling and are not wrapped so that is one less rigging worry  8)

PPS: I found this profile on the net showing the rectangular panel

Rick,

I love the finish on it.  It’s got just the right sheen, IMO.  Very lovely build and it seems it went quite quickly. Congratulations on another fine model.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:16:14 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2021, 02:20:46 PM »
Thanks Rick, that list is going to be invaluable when my courage meets my desire to start on my copy!
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 05:29:20 AM »
Beautiful work as always Rick.

WD