Author Topic: Another 1/72 Albatros  (Read 1570 times)

Online DaddyO

Another 1/72 Albatros
« on: March 06, 2024, 05:28:13 AM »
Eventually got around to completing this little bird which has been loitering at the back of the workbench for a while now  :)

It's Eduard's 1/72 version of the DV from one the dual combo boxing's. Can't remember too much about the detail of the original part of the build apart from the fact that I created the headrest from an old 'bomb' with filler before I realized that the kit contained this part already! - Ah well.

I wanted a wooden fuselage version and was given a bunch of decals which had this rather nice scheme with a full black tail and no headrest; trawling over the interweb I found a picture of the pilot preparing to get into the (presumably earlier incarnation) which showed the headrest and standard camouflaged tail. Looking at the finished model I rather wish I'd chosen a more colourful option, but there's always that second kit waiting there . . . .
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online DaddyO

Re: Another 1/72 Albatros
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 05:29:26 AM »
Main struts are from filed and soldered brass, cabane ones came from a Roden DV kit with a lot of sanding and the wheels were from Eduard's DVII kit which I preferred. Prop is carved from wood and rigging is monofilamnet as usual.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 05:35:01 AM »
A few extra details were added just for fun around the front of the engine. Radiator pipes were from solder and added after the top wing was in place, which was fun.

After repainting the wing (the original green and purple looked too dark) I wan't happy with the aileron actuators being etched brass in the kit so these ones are tiny bits of carved plastic with wire pushrods (just about visible in some views)

Online DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 05:36:45 AM »
Final shot is it sitting on it's base. I still need to add a couple of details like the windscreen and may make up a small set of steps to go along side

Hope you like it
Paul

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 07:12:35 AM »
That is so, so very pretty Paul. Beautiful work!
Zac in NZ

Online DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 07:20:29 AM »
Cheers Zac  ;D

Offline Davos522

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:46:00 AM »
Beautiful job, Paul, and that scheme works for me. Love the ply effect especially!

Dutch

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 10:02:59 AM »
That is unbelievable!  The wood fuselage is amazing.

Paul

Offline enathan

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 10:07:26 AM »
A lovely Albatros Paul, and I like the finish. Excellent work!

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 10:33:45 AM »
Beautiful build Paul. I actually appreciate the less colorful option. The scratch built headrest made me laugh. Sounds like something I would do!

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 11:26:05 AM »
The Albatros D.V with the headrest is one of my favorite aircraft. Very nicely done! Looks great.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 01:58:19 PM »
Another excellent offering.  Neat and clean.  but the, how you go wrong with 1/72nd scale.  :-)

Dennis

Online DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 06:16:26 PM »
Many thanks one and all. ;D

This one sat in the jig for a few months because I couldn't get the wings to fit properly. After coming back to it with fresh eyes I decided to remove the partially attached wing a, repaint it and try again. When I looked more closely at the brass struts I'd made I realized that they were 1/2 mm too long which was throwing the wing too high for the cabanes ::) Once sorted the wing lined up and dropped on easily (can't understand why I didn't spot it the first time round)

The wood is oil over acrylic, but although the effect looked spectacular under a magnifier it was far too subtle to be seen easily so I ended up adding a few knots and grain lines on top of it using acrylics mixed with a little 'glazing medium' (which helps painting details since it stops the paint drying too quickly)

Here's a quick pic of how the aileron actuators (or whatever they are called) were done - strip of plastic the same length as the main body sanded to shape and then sliced off. Annealed jewelry wire wrapped around a piece of brass wire of suitable thickness to form a coil and then rings cut off that could be trimmed to size (0.2 mm hole drilled in aileron and plastic body made fitting a bit easier)

Paul

Offline NigelR

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 07:14:37 PM »
That's an absolute gem Paul, lovely work. Fantastic added details. It looks really good.

Can't remember too much about the detail of the original part of the build apart from the fact that I created the headrest from an old 'bomb' with filler before I realized that the kit contained this part already! - Ah well.
RTFM!!!! ;D

Online DaddyO

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 07:28:28 PM »
That's an absolute gem Paul, lovely work. Fantastic added details. It looks really good.

Can't remember too much about the detail of the original part of the build apart from the fact that I created the headrest from an old 'bomb' with filler before I realized that the kit contained this part already! - Ah well.
RTFM!!!! ;D

LOL that would be far too easy old fruit  ;D