Author Topic: Good bright white paint?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline GrahamB

Good bright white paint?
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »
Hi,

I've patiently pre-shaded my WNW DH2 wings, tail-plane etc to receive Aviattic's clear-backed British CDL decal but have not achieved the result I wanted on a test piece (well, actually one surface of both elevators) because of the paint/shade of white I used for the rib tapes. I started with just Vallejo primer white but had some peeling of this when Tamiya tape (over the white-painted rib-tapes) was pulled off. I then used some Mr Hobby H1 white (gloss) - no problems with peeling but it is actually quite dull and insufficiently bright to be effective under the decal. I don't have the heart to do all the rib tapes again on this model but does anyone have a recommendation for a really good bright white - it can be enamel or acrylic - preferably resistant to masking tape?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Good bright white paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:24:49 AM »
Hi Graham,
 I've always had great success with Tamiya acrylic white paint.

Good luck,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:28:30 AM »
Humbrol full gloss white enamel has always been good to me, it is very white and when completely dry is as hard as a rock.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
Testors ModelMaster Acryl Gloss White has worked well for me. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Hi guys,

thanks for the tips. I'll try some Tamiya white gloss enamel alongside the acrylic version - (both I have somewhere) and get some Humbrol gloss white. I was thinking more 'enamel' for the reason of masking etc - easy to have pre-cut strips of tape (mine were from LittleCars? in the UK I think) over ribs than other way around; and it's ready glossed for decals. It's a good excuse to get into Modelcraft & Hobbies in Wellington as my local town's little model shop closed down a few months ago and even the local Toyworld has shut due to owner's illness - it was good for Humbrol, Tamiya, Citadel and even some of Airfix's nice new kits.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:38:09 PM »
I think it only comes in a spray, but Tamiya Pure White is very bright - used on race cars and such
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »
Hi Graham,
 I've always had great success with Tamiya acrylic white paint.

Good luck,
Bob  ;)

I agree with Von Buckles 100%
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:44:24 AM »
Thanks to the suggestion by Bob & RAGIII that Tamiya white was good (acrylic here even though it actually looks 'thin')  I did repaint the rib tapes and edges on the DH2 after all - but only the lower surfaces since the uppers will get a rough daubing of DV/DS brown. There is a very marked difference in the 'whiteness' and it should work much better with the Aviattic decals. I might try and do some before-and-after photos.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline jknaus

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »
I have found the brightest white is Tamiya Flat white. I usually spray gloss white over it or spray future over it.
James

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
Hi,

here is the difference - before and after, i.e. with Gunze white/Vallejo primer white followed by Tamiya X-2 acrylic white.

Now to put the Aviattic linen decals on.

Cheers

GrahamB

Offline boggie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
Hi,

here is the difference - before and after, i.e. with Gunze white/Vallejo primer white followed by Tamiya X-2 acrylic white.

Now to put the Aviattic linen decals on.

Cheers

GrahamB

Hi Graham.  :)

Are you using a brighter white paint on the ribs to show a contrast between the ribs and the rest of the wing after the CDL decal has been applied?

To achieve this result Richard (Aviattic) recommends adding rib tapes of white backed CDL decal over the translucent CDL wing decal.

cheers.

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
Yes, I'm going to apply the clear CDL decals over this. On a test piece - using the contrast shown in the first pre-shading/highlighting attempt the effect of paler rib tapes was too weak. When I add the CDL next it will hopefully 'pop out' the tapes a little more and I'll post the comparison.

I guess Richard's suggested method will achieve the same thing but which is going to be more 'fiddly' and time consuming?

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline boggie

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
Yes, I'm going to apply the clear CDL decals over this. On a test piece - using the contrast shown in the first pre-shading/highlighting attempt the effect of paler rib tapes was too weak. When I add the CDL next it will hopefully 'pop out' the tapes a little more and I'll post the comparison.

I guess Richard's suggested method will achieve the same thing but which is going to be more 'fiddly' and time consuming?

Cheers,

GrahamB

Your second pic with the X-2 does look very sharp.

Looking forward to more!

cheers  and regards, :)

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
First question what kind of airbrush do you use, needle size...? many modelers make the mistake of priming/painting a large model with a small needle!

When i prime my models i use a 1.2 needle and keep the paint wet this way you will get a smooth surface most modelers are spraying dust so to speak witch will result in sandpaper finish.
The best way to prime is to use a spray gun/large needle to get a smooth finish.

Regards Ron

Offline Royston

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
Graham,
I had a good long talk to Richard at Telford, he recommended Halfords Fridge white.
Yet to try it but worth considering

Roy