Author Topic: I do build models, honestly!  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

I do build models, honestly!
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »
Hello All

I've been a member of this wonderful forum for quite a number of months now. Over the course of time I've asked lots of questions, given a few bits of information and experienced serious dropping of the jaw at the quality of so much work. But, you might be wondering whether I actually make anything or am just one of those who buy to stache.

Well, I've taken the plunge with some photos in Flickr.  I would ask you to be gentle with the comment. The limitations in my approach are many but for every absolute genius whose work is on display in this forum  there may be many of us duffers at or near the other end of the spectrum just trying our best. What I can say though is that I am learning. 

If you do have the time to look at the photos I would be very happy. In doing so, please also read the captions where I present my excuses and comments. The models are all 1/48 scale and are presented in no particular order. You are likely to recognise the earlier more feeble efforts; the Brisfit is the most recent addition.

By way of context, all the models were photographed outside on a sunny day and shaded by a canopy. As a modeller I've tinkered around with kits for over half a century (work scarcely ever permitting), but often found myself side-tracked into painting 25mm soldiers, mainly from the 16th and 17th centuries.

So here we go

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101192141@N08/

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Epeeman

Re: I do build models, honestly!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Hello, Nigel -

No need to be bashful with the quality of your builds - they all look good, clean tidy builds to me.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »
All of your models are absolutely brilliant Nigel, no need for excuses at all, your modeling skills are superb. Thank you for allowing us to see your models through Flickr, but I would be very happy if you posted the photos here as well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:02:16 AM »
Beautiful work, Nigel! No need to be so worried, you have a lot of skill and much to offer!  :D
Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Gorgeous collection of models, Nigel!  Thanks so much for sharing them
with us.  I really hope you show off your next build here.  Hoping to see
more of your projects.

Cheers.
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Excellent collection, NJ!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
Nigel,
   Yes, you most certainly do build models! You have a very impressive collection here, and more would be most welcome! Thanks for sharing al of these.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
Those are all nice models. Thanks for sharing the photos. That is an interesting scheme on the Dreidecker.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
What a beautiful collection, Nigel!  All in my favorite scale, too!  I especially love the Biff.  She's stunning.  You've now thrown me into a quandary.  I've both the Eduard and Roden kits, plus Rowans brilliant decal sheet for them.  I've got so much on the bench just now, but seeing your magnificent Biff has me pulling mine out of the stash and hacking away at sprues.  Thanks for posting, mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »
Hello All

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I have to admit that I opened up the computer with some trepidation this morning, not least because I'm painfully aware of their limitations particularly in enlarged photos; I'm haunted too by the small joint seam visible on the Biff. But as I've said, I'm trying to learn.

Des - I'd be very happy to post some photos direct  but wasn't sure quite how to. No doubt there be a thread explaining it and I'll search it down.

Rob - The Dreidecker  scheme is straight from the Eduard instructions where it is described as that of Ltn Hans Weiss.

Bud - Yes I too faced the decision: Biff by Eduard or Roden? Had I been quicker off the mark then it would have been the Roden because that was released earlier. But when the choice became available I went for the Eduard version for two reasons. First, though often beautifully engineered I've had more problems in the past with Roden models as the SE5a and Fokker D.VII can testify; it's my fault not theirs.  Second, it has always seemed to me that in building a Biff the absolute key lies in getting the attachment of the lower wing to the fuselage right. Problems here have real knock on consequences. When I lay the two models out and compared approaches, Eduard seemed to offer a more straightforward, sturdy solution and one I felt that I could manage.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »
I do build models, honestly!....and to a high standard. Well done!! Thanks for sharing  ;)

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
Great stuff Nigel!  Truly a collection to be proud of.  Now, be fruitful and multiply your squadron. ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
Thank you for sharing yours beautiful models.

Adam.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
Nigel,
  I started building models when I was knee high to a grasshopper, continued for about 20 years and then stopped for over 30 years. Most of the models that I kept were in the roof (lack of space) but I kept two (one a complex conversion), in home-made perspex covers, but in my workroom where nobody could see them. Why? Because I thought that they were not very good....... Thirty plus years ago showing off one's work meant going to clubs and competitions, so I did not go and never showed my work to anyone, never got any feedback, and never learned much. I am also my own worst critic (as you clearly are of yourself).

I too made my first offering to this site with some trepidation, (I did not return to this site for 5 days after I posted the pictures because I feared what others might write), and found that every comment was helpful, appreciative and supportive. I am slowly beginning to see my work with new eyes. Looking at your models I think that you are a first rate modeller and I congratulate you on a really impressive collection - certainly one to be proud of. Please show us more of your work - it is really good. Some of the modellers on this site really are in a class of their own and do things that I could only ever dream of, but there are many others who also make some really good models: you are one of them.

Welcome to the fraternity.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
Even with the anonymity conferred by the Internet it still takes a bit of courage to post your builds. Think about it: most of the people you're showing your work to will never meet you in person, and could really say whatever nasty thing comes to mind, yet the comments are entirely positive, encouraging and constructive. That's how we know we're in the right place.

Great looking builds, Nigel. Looking forward to seeing more.

Lindsay