Author Topic: Hannover no shoot propeller bar  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Hannover no shoot propeller bar
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
Does anyone have a reference for the no shoot propeller bar mounted above the wing center section on the Hannover please?

The photograph showing this feature in the WNW instruction book is taken at a distance and appears to show only two mounting posts to the wing.

Is there also a third mounting post in the center of the bar on the aircraft centreline?

My grateful thanks if anyone can shed any light on this modification and how it was actually carried out.

Offline IanB

Re: Hannover no shoot propeller bar
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »
Sorry, none of the pics I have show anything on the wing upper centre-section of a Hannover. The only time I've ever heard anyone use that term was in referance  to the roll-over bars on the Roland C.II

This pic on the WnW site also shows nothing...
http://wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3086&cat=1  (3rd photo down on the left side)

Ian
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:14:31 PM by IanB »

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:18:50 AM »

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found this image of the centre section of a Hannover supposedly taken from Janes All the World's Aircraft 1918, as appearing on a russian website.
No further information is given concerning the aircraft but it does show a centre post on the centre-line of the upper wing.
There are no further vertical posts showing on the upper wing though.

I can not determine whether this could have been a central mounting post for a field modification to prevent the observer shooting through the propeller arc.

It certainly does add weight to the fact that a central mounting post could be a possibility.
If anyone can add any information to solve the mystery, it would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dave
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:08:35 AM by Dave in Dubai »

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Looking at the image in the instruction manual and having nothing else to go on I would surmise IMHO that there is no other mountings than the two end ones, which would likely be mounted like the above image with plates and screws.

Speaking of that image I can't imagine that that single post would be to stop the gunner mascerating the prop  as it hardly would protect the arc of the propeller. I can only assume its either some kind of sensor or a mount for something done in field.

As I said It's only my opinion  just fuel for thought.  ;)
((I have this to do too once I get back to my Hannie as I'm doing the self same profile.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
If the rear gunner of a Hannover was going to shoot through the prop arc, he'd have to kill the pilot to do so! Whatever this is, it most certainly is nothing to do with anything restricting the gunner's arc of fire. Most likely just a centre point referance, or a breather of some sort

Ian

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments.

I agree, looking at the WNW photo, even under high magnification, it appears that the bar is mounted at each end and does not show a centre post.

This arrangement might have been prone to aerodynamic vibrations which is why I pose the question as to whether a centre post was also used. After seeing the photo posted previously, this made me wonder whether a center post was used and it didn't show up on the WNW picture due to the resolutiom , distance it was photographed from, and lighting conditions.

I contacted Richard at Wingnut Wings and he replied that to his knowledge, no other photograph exists of this aircraft unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:38:26 PM by Dave in Dubai »

mike in calif

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:46:51 AM »
So, again walking in a bit later than you guys... Under the stress of combat, with the pilot doing his thing, would a center post matter? From a construction standpoint, where would it have gone? Does the wing have a center rib? The bar looks pretty substantial to me; perhaps it needs no other support? I have one of these in my stash, so I'm curious now.

Offline Procopius

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:50:48 AM »
If the rear gunner of a Hannover was going to shoot through the prop arc, he'd have to kill the pilot to do so!

Didn't observers outrank pilots? Prussian discipline can be harsh.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:42 AM »
   Photos from Janes Fighting Aircraft of World War 1. Only one post appears evident; I'd speculate it is not a handle, as the oval cut outs would logically lend themselves to being hand holds to assist the pilot on entry/exit.
   Another mystery lost to time perhaps? :-\

Cheers,
Lance

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:30:17 AM »
It's hollow so I guess at a field mod breather. maybe for the in wing fuel tank.
As you say we can speculate till our bums fall off  ;D
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
I hope my bum doesn't fall off! :o

Offline rlrimell

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a small selection of photos that may help? The vertical tube seen on the centre-section of captured 13199/17 may be for a rear view mirror-several photos show one in almost exactly the same position-two of them as per the attached. The Schlasta 12 Hawa '5' certainly had, and this image also shows one form of curved rail to prevent the gunner shooting off the tips. Other styles have been noted so I assume these were  field mods? Also the light yellow , outward- slanting, stripes painted on the centre-section were another way of alerting the gunner to his limitations. These are quite common markings  and often seen on Halberstadt CL. types as well.

The attached photos are not  great, but they may clarify a few of these points. Studying the Hannovers is a fraught task and we have been wrestling with it all year. There are baffling variations between the three main versions but  we are nearing a consensus. Once we have done more research we hope to produce something a little special ... ;)

Cheers,

Ray R.

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
Thank you Ray,

PM on the way! :) :)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
Veeeeeery interesting....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 02:37:48 AM »
Ray's interpretation of the photos makes perfect sense to me, and the curved rail is sound logic.
Cheers,
Lance